TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

110 volt not working....

Discussion in 'Model S: Battery & Charging' started by HFh, Sep 7, 2013.

1. HFh

HFh Member

Under what circumstances would one expect that plugging into a regular 110v outlet wouldn't work? I plug my S into the one next to my parking space at work all the time with no problem, but there's an official green-car-spaces 110v plug in a parking deck across campus and it will not work there (both the UMC and the car flash red in all four outlets). I'd think it was simply defective, but the leafs that park there charge just fine (and, BTW, because I can't charge, I can't park there).

2. captain_zap

captain_zap Electron tamer

#2 captain_zap, Sep 7, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2013
    The UMC gives a red light and won't charge if it does not detect safety ground (the ground prong of the outlet must be actually connected to ground). Or the outlets could have hot/neutral swapped. You could get one of those cheap outlet testers and see if any of these conditions are causing the problem. It's possible the Leaf charger doesn't care about one or more of these miswiring problems.

3. HFh

HFh Member

I was thinking something similar. Any way to fool the UMC on the grounding issue (or is that a terrible idea? my EECS PhD was on the CS side not the EE side: electricity is a mysterious magical elf thing to me)?

4. Cosmacelf

Cosmacelf Active Member

5. HFh

HFh Member