Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

110 volt not working....

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Under what circumstances would one expect that plugging into a regular 110v outlet wouldn't work? I plug my S into the one next to my parking space at work all the time with no problem, but there's an official green-car-spaces 110v plug in a parking deck across campus and it will not work there (both the UMC and the car flash red in all four outlets). I'd think it was simply defective, but the leafs that park there charge just fine (and, BTW, because I can't charge, I can't park there).

Under what circumstances would one expect that plugging into a regular 110v outlet wouldn't work? I plug my S into the one next to my parking space at work all the time with no problem, but there's an official green-car-spaces 110v plug in a parking deck across campus and it will not work there (both the UMC and the car flash red in all four outlets). I'd think it was simply defective, but the leafs that park there charge just fine (and, BTW, because I can't charge, I can't park there).

The UMC gives a red light and won't charge if it does not detect safety ground (the ground prong of the outlet must be actually connected to ground). Or the outlets could have hot/neutral swapped. You could get one of those cheap outlet testers and see if any of these conditions are causing the problem. It's possible the Leaf charger doesn't care about one or more of these miswiring problems.

Last edited:
The UMC gives a red light and won't charge if it does not detect safety ground (the ground prong of the outlet must be actually connected to ground). Or the outlets could have hot/neutral swapped. You could get one of those cheap outlet testers and see if any of these conditions are causing the problem. It's possible the Leaf charger doesn't care about one or more of these miswiring problems.

I was thinking something similar. Any way to fool the UMC on the grounding issue (or is that a terrible idea? my EECS PhD was on the CS side not the EE side: electricity is a mysterious magical elf thing to me)?