Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

1100 miles in one day?

Drive it in one day?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Depending on the Supercharger spacing this is my method in an X 100D. It assume superchargers every 100-120 miles which seems quite common and a speed around 80mph (only where legal of course):
  • On the road around 9am with 90 percent charge.
  • Skip the first supercharger and stop at the second 3-3.5 hrs (~200 mi) later.
  • Have lunch around 12-12:30 and get a charge back to 90 percent.
  • Drive for 3 - 3.5 hours again (~200 mi).
  • 4:30pm ish: 30 minute stop for ice cream (oddly enough, the kids never complain about this stop ;)) - 60-70 percent charge.
  • Back on the road with enough charge to get to next supercharger - (100 - 120 miles)
  • Dinner time - back to 90 percent charge
  • Drive up to 3.5 hours (~200 mi) and stop for the evening.
700 miles is pretty easy as there is enough time out of the car and only requires a single non-meal 20-30 min stop. More is certainly possible. Autopilot really helps!

Last edited:
Reactions: jerry33
Do you have Autopilot?

Should be pretty relaxing with it.
We did a 600+ miles round trip last Wednesday and spent 8 hours at our destination. It was a blast!
Didn’t have to disengage it once using it on the interstate...

We used our Model X 100D

Depending on the Supercharger spacing this is my method in an X 100D. It assume superchargers every 100-120 miles which seems quite common and a speed around 80mph (only where legal of course):
  • On the road around 9am with 90 percent charge.
  • Skip the first supercharger and stop at the second 3-3.5 hrs (~200 mi) later.
  • Have lunch around 12-12:30 and get a charge back to 90 percent.
  • Drive for 3 - 3.5 hours again (~200 mi).
  • 4:30pm ish: 30 minute stop for ice cream (oddly enough, the kids never complain about this stop ;)) - 60-70 percent charge.
  • Back on the road with enough charge to get to next supercharger - (100 - 120 miles)
  • Dinner time - back to 90 percent charge
  • Drive up to 3.5 hours (~200 mi) and stop for the evening.
700 miles is pretty easy as there is enough time out of the car and only requires a single non-meal 20-30 min stop. More is certainly possible. Autopilot really helps!
This is what I do normaly, but it really depends upon the reason for the trip. If it was work related, then one day.

Hello all,
I have a dillema. I have 4-5 days for a road trip next week and I ma taking my Model 3 to Yellowstone. But I want to do the drive in one day. I would leave LA at around 5:30AM and make it there around 9:30PM. But is it reasonable to do that? I would rather have more time in the park and to drive up to Butte and around there as a detour on the way home. Let me know with experiences.
Zack
Not Tesla experience and I don't know the path you'll be taking, so just some general long road trip info;

For long pushes I wouldn't start that late in the morning. 4AM is probably a better launch time, to make sure you're well out on the road so as not to get caught in any commuter traffic. That is what you need to keep in mind when looking at your route, what time of day you'll be passing through where. Also, usually you want better light on the road you have less experience driving on. I assume that's the destination end here. Just make sure to get to bed really early so you're rested.

The other big thing is diet and what you drink. I pack my own food and actually go vegan (or at least near vegan) but as heavy on protein as feasible, no chance of digestion dragging you down but still keeping your body/brain fed. I'm big on 50/50 watered down "Gatorade" style electrolyte drinks for hydration. Less salt and it'd create "bathroom break" pressure. ;) Too much salt and it's not good for your BP, you'll be getting rid of less salt via sweat than what Gatorade is designed for. Also, pace the drinking, again for the same reasons. Slow but steady, like you were on an IV drip. Coffee and caffeine is generally a no-no, you'll not want the stimulant effect nor the diuretic effect. Maybe Red Bull towards the end if you're used to drinking that but if you drink early-to-mid trip you're just setting yourself up to crash, and that's bad and ultimately not safe.

Probably the toughest part about aiming for such a late arrival as you list is it puts more pressure on you to complete. You want to minimize pressure on you when you're making a key safety orientated assessment like that. Starting earlier gives you a bigger window to decide mid-trip "this isn't going to work" and still have time to set up accommodations somewhere short of your target.

Last edited:
There will be a second driver with autopilot. Looking at going to SLC from LA. Should not be too bad but, the car is very fast and hates going the speed limit from my experience. From my house to Salt Lake City it is a 707 mile drive, or 9 hours 30 mins going speed limit of 70 in CA, and 80 thru Utah. I will likely go 80 in CA and 85-90 in UT even though it uses more energy.

Here is what looks like the final plan:
Day 1:
Drive from Los Angeles to Salt Lake City Utah (9.5 hours)
Day 2: Drive from Salt Lake City to West Yellowstone, MT, the explore the park a little. (4.5 hours)
Day 3: Explore Yellowstone and drive to Butte MT. (2.6 hours)
Day 4: Drive from Butte MT, to Beaver UT (7.8 hours)
Day 5: Drive from Beaver UT to LA (7 hours)
Thanks all for the suggestions!
Any tips on what to do, where to go, what to see, where to stay, or stuff to put on the front end because I heard Idaho got some pretty nasty bugs which my car eats quite a bit. Would love to do a 6th day but it would be a lot to take off. Also, if anyone wants to see the car on my way, let me know and we can meet up at a supercharger!

-Zack

IMG_3921.jpg

We were in the Yellowstone area last month and the traffic in and out of the park was bumper to bumper. I forgot to mention we usually spend nights at hotels with destination chargers or within walking distance of a supercharger. We leave in the morning with 100% charge. We always get out and walk around while charging. The exercise helps with long distance driving fatigue. In our X we have a refrigerator between the middle row seats and keep snacks and water.

Reactions: ℬête Noire
Sounds like an ambitious undertaking.

Many EV owners have evolved from focusing on just getting to the destination as quickly as possible to enjoying the ride. Cruising in a Tesla is a different experience than in a gas vehicle. You begin to enjoy the trip more, take more breaks, enjoy the quiet and the view along the highway. Sometimes taking the long way round.

I used to drive from Michigan to Florida every year for Spring Break. Always would drive straight through with minimal stops and perhaps a cat nap when exhaustion would make driving further dangerous. I always arrived dead tired, worn out and mentally exhausted. More than once fell asleep on the beach and woke up with terrible sunburns. Ruined the rest of my vacation due to being so tired.

Now I take my time, enjoy the Supercharger stops and try to leave each morning with a full battery. It is a different experience that more and more people are finding most enjoyable. Many times I have learned about interesting things that I should make sure to see when talking to other Tesla owners while Supercharging.

That competitive urge to maximize your drive time is an exercise in futility. Rushing to your next destination just gets you aggragravated at any traffic or construction delays. Bad weather becomes a battle and there will be no time to enjoy cruising in the good weather.

The joy is in the ride, not the destination. (First learned this when riding Harleys)

Driving solo I routinely do 600 miles in my very slow charging S60; in a Model 3 750 miles would be easy. It helps to walk around for awhile at each Supercharger stop. With two drivers 1100 miles could be done if the off driver can get some sleep. Breaking it up with a stop in SLC, as you suggest, will make the trip more pleasant. I use audio books or bright uptempo music to help stay alert.

Nodding off is the biggest danger with a long day of driving — more Supercharger rest breaks are better than fewer for this. Also, I've found that even a 20 minute nap can help me stay alert for several more hours.