Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

110V charging, now even slower?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Nothing in the UMC charging software or hardware surprises me anymore. The UMC program has been botched from the very beginning and shows no signs of getting better. From a poorly engineered adapter mechanism that resulted in at least three different 14-50 adapters and a federal recall, to nonsensically dropping support for popular adapters and then adding support for the never wanted 6-15, to now this bug/feature, it is all crap. Oh, and the stupid undocumented mile/hour charging display which is a session average when every other number is instantaneous.

And when you read the European forums, it isn't any better over there either.

I think this is fixed. I'm charging at 117 volts and 16 amps right now using a Nema 5-20 adapter. I'm getting exactly 4.56 miles per hour charging rate. It's actually good enough that after staying at this hotel for 36 hours I won't have to hit up a supercharger to get home. Not bad!

Good to hear. I love the nema 5-20 adapter and think it has a lot of utility. I wish more people would realize that they could use it instead of a trip to the Supercharger.

On another note, maybe my December 2016 rant did something. The Model 3 comes out with a new Mobile Connector that has undergone a complete redesign. It has new adapters and a new proprietary plug mechanism that looks much more robust. Breaking apart the nema plug and the plug to the MC (via a pigtail design) will substantially reduce overheating problems. I also strongly suspect that both pieces have temperature sensors built into them, making them even safer.

The only downside is that the 50A adapters (14-50 and 6-50) now only charge at 32 amps instead of 40, but that is an understandable safety feature since many 14-50 and 6-50 receptacles in the wild only have 40 A breakers (yes, that's allowed under code).

And they finally are supporting all NEMA plug types! The only receptacle that isn't supported is the TT-30, but I'm willing to give them a pass on that, it is easy enough to make one adapter for that.

• Love
Reactions: David99 and Rocky_H
I think this is fixed. I'm charging at 117 volts and 16 amps right now using a Nema 5-20 adapter. I'm getting exactly 4.56 miles per hour charging rate. It's actually good enough that after staying at this hotel for 36 hours I won't have to hit up a supercharger to get home. Not bad!

Nope. Still broken as of 2017.36 1b27c6d.

Attachments

• IMG_7746.jpg
    IMG_7746.jpg
    173.2 KB · Views: 70
What's broken? The 5-15 draws 11 amps?

I was using the 5-20, so that could be why it worked. I didn't check the actual amps, but I got 4.55 mph

Given we don't know what model you have, this mph is irrelevant.

Well if we're going to recap the whole thread again now. Yes. Car claims 12A, draws <11A. Tesla's software now asserts that 11=11 but also 12=11. Given that 300-400W goes to auxillary losses while charging, this is more like the difference from charging at 8A vs 9A, or about 10% slower.

Given countergate into context, I don't think Tesla think's it's "broken", they're fudging the values. However obviously they feel that they've done something wrong or they would have just disclosed to everyone that their Tesla now charges at 11A, 15A, 39A, respectively. Now unless someone wants to take Tesla to court over this (like countergate) it will never change. Court ruled in that case that Tesla cannot remove functionality via OTA.

2 years and 2 months later, now on 2018.42.2. Looks like somebody at Tesla development forgot about the fudge factor and "fixed the bug" in just one place. Now the API and Tesla's app show the actual amperage, but the car itself is still fudged, it reads 16A and is maxed out below.

LOLWTF

Attachments

• IMG_8396.jpg
    IMG_8396.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 52
Does it drop the current after plugging it in? Looks like a high voltage drop and it may be attempting to limit current to ensure safety. Has this issue always been from power delivered from the same utility?