TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

110v connector

Discussion in 'Model X' started by jpl, Mar 24, 2017.

Tags:
  1. jpl

jpl Member

110v.jpg
    The 110v connector that came with my Model X doesn't seem to connect to anything else that I can plug into the MX. Do I need to purchase another cable or adapter?

2. jpl

jpl Member

The 110V connector that came with my Model X doesn't connect to anything else that came with the MX. Do I need to purchase another cable or adapter to be able to charge from a 110 outlet?

3. rypalmer

rypalmer Member

Swap this for the NEMA 14-50 end on your mobile connector.

• Like x 4
  4. gearchruncher

gearchruncher Member

• Helpful x 1
    • Informative x 1
  5. beths11

beths11 THE LONG RANGER

No, One end of the plug goes on your Tesla charging cable and the other end in the outlet. The end you are showing in the picture is where the cable plugs in. Other end of charging cable in the car...Did I understand the question?

6. TexasEV

TexasEV Well-Known Member

Do you not have a UMC? Were you not shown how to use it at delivery?

7. BerTX

BerTX Active Member

And not to be picky, but it's a 120v connector.

• Helpful x 1
    • Like x 1
    • Funny x 1
  8. jpl

jpl Member

You understood the question, I failed to recognize where there were "interface options". And, no, @TexasEV , I don't know if I have a "UMC". Does that have something to do with the Marine Corps? :) At delivery, nobody showed me all the ways to use the charger. Perhaps they rashly assumed I had an IQ above room temperature. I was more excited to take delivery than to understand the many ways in which the Tesla differed from a conventional vehicle. I didn't realize that my gizmo (UMC? See attachment.) that plugs into a 220V outlet can be disassembled to reveal a port that connects to the 110V adapter that came with the Model X. I have a very bad record of "tugging at stuff to see what happens", only to find out that I shouldn't have "tugged at that stuff". But thanks to everyone who educated me about how to make the connection, using the "stuff" that came with the Model X. What a great forum!

Attached Files:

• Funny x 3
    • Like x 1
  9. jpl

jpl Member

Tesla appears to be no less confused than I (a low bar). They also refer to 110V. As you suggest, it doesn't matter.
    Nobo 110-120.png

10. BerTX

BerTX Active Member

Well, they got the 240v part right.:rolleyes:

• Like x 2
  11. TexasEV

Yes, your picture shows the UMC, the Universal Mobile Connector. Tesla now calls it just the Mobile Connector. I don't know why they dropped "universal" from the name but everyone still calls it the UMC. There are other adapters available besides the two it came with. NEMA 14-30, 6-15, and 5-20 are available. You can search this forum for threads about when each are useful, and you can order them from the Tesla web site. 10-30 and 6-50 are no longer made.
    Tesla — Model X > Charging and Adapters

By the way you really should read the manual, even if you never did with any other car. This car is very different, as you've seen.

• Like x 3
  12. jpl

jpl Member

As a former sys-admin, I always asked my users to RTFM (read the fine manual). Of course, they never did. I read the manual while I waited (many months) for delivery. But those pages (which may have changed with every over-the-net update) didn't stick in my mind. I really don't think of the UMC as "mobile". My 220V connection is in my garage. I think of the other adapters as "mobile". In any event, this forum was incredibly helpful.

• Helpful x 1
  13. TexasEV

The UMC is mobile, as opppsed to the Wall Connector (formerly called HPWC) which is fixed. You should take your UMC with you on trips so you can plug in if you need to.

• Like x 2
  14. jpl

jpl Member

That makes sense, as I gain understanding. I haven't needed the cable/UMV to use the superchargers, or to use chargers (level 2?) at places I have found with PlugShare. If I had taken my UMV on a recent trip to Morgantown, WV, it would have done me no good, because I hadn't realized that there was a connector on the Wall Connector side as well as the Tesla side. I'll take the UMC (and my enhanced knowledge) on future trips.

15. dmd2005

dmd2005 Member

You'll need the SAE J1772 that came with your mobile connector kit and doesn't plug into the mobile connector to use the Level 2 chargers. You can also buy a CHAdeMO adapter for DC fast charging too.

The Superchargers plug directly into your car without adapters.

16. goneskiian

goneskiian Active Member

This is a serious failure of your delivery team. They really should have gone over all this with you. Or at least asked you if you were familiar with all the different ways to juice up your new X!

• Like x 1
  17. BerTX

BerTX Active Member

:p

• Funny x 1
  18. thecloud

thecloud As rhythm raced inside, the ship came alive

It makes sense to drop the word "universal" if the connection options are limited. The change to the name occurred around the time the 30-amp adapters could no longer be purchased from Tesla, IIRC. It's great that the 14-30 adapter is available again, though.

19. Lbkmxp100d

Lbkmxp100d Member

110 and 220 volt references drive me crazy . If your only seeing 110 or 220 volts you need an electrician to come find out why you are getting such a large volt drop.

• Like x 5
  20. boaterva

boaterva Supporting Member

Lol.. I was giving this some thought with all the references to 110/220 we see on TMC (and I'm mentally guilty of it myself, even though I know better), and all I can come up with is that people heard the lower numbers from 'back when' from parents who heard it from grandparents, etc., going back to when it was the standard. And since it doesn't really matter until you get down to the nitty-gritty of things like voltage drops in charging cars, etc., (like here on TMC), no one corrects people.

We have no problem doing that, of course... :)

• Funny x 1