Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

110V for short commute?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The 220V is coming in a little while :) I just need to make sure the 110V can hold me over for a few months and it sounds like it will.
I did this, and I drove more than you. I used 110V for maybe 3-4 months while I was debating if I need 220V (my commute was like 20 miles a day).

I ended up driving a lot more than I thought I would, so on weekdays the 120V was enough, but I'd always drive more than on the weekends, and during those months probably used a SpC once a month to top off.

Overall: yes, you can do it on 120V. It's easier on 240V, but 120V is doable, and I did it for a few months.

I did this, and I drove more than you. I used 110V for maybe 3-4 months while I was debating if I need 220V (my commute was like 20 miles a day).

I ended up driving a lot more than I thought I would, so on weekdays the 120V was enough, but I'd always drive more than on the weekends, and during those months probably used a SpC once a month to top off.

Overall: yes, you can do it on 120V. It's easier on 240V, but 120V is doable, and I did it for a few months.
Awesome. Thanks everyone for the input. This gives me peace of mind.

good tip. This charging setup with the 110V is only for a short period of time. I will be switching to 220V a few months after delivery.
Depending on your tax situation, there's currently a 30% tax rebate for installing "alternative fuel infrastructure", including EVs. I believe the program ends this year, so if you're going to install a new circuit / outlet anyway, it might pay to do it in the next 2 months.

See: https://www.afdc.energy.gov/laws/10513

Depending on your tax situation, there's currently a 30% tax rebate for installing "alternative fuel infrastructure", including EVs. I believe the program ends this year, so if you're going to install a new circuit / outlet anyway, it might pay to do it in the next 2 months.

See: https://www.afdc.energy.gov/laws/10513
This is true, but note: for most people who took delivery of the vehicle, and claim the $7,500; you wont get this 30% in addition to your $7,500 unless your income is VERY high.

And by VERY high, I think cpa gave an estimate of about $400k/year high, something to do with minimum taxes paid.

This is true, but note: for most people who took delivery of the vehicle, and claim the $7,500; you wont get this 30% in addition to your $7,500 unless your income is VERY high.

And by VERY high, I think cpa gave an estimate of about $400k/year high, something to do with minimum taxes paid.
The end of the year is coming up. He could buy the car now and install the charging infrastructure in January, assuming that tax credit is extended into 2017.

The end of the year is coming up. He could buy the car now and install the charging infrastructure in January, assuming that tax credit is extended into 2017.
Or the reverse (install now, car next year). I took it that the car isn't here yet, which is why I suggested to do the install now while the Infrastructure credit still is in play. Both in the same year is a risk, depending on costs and tax brackets as noted earlier, and it's probably not worth delaying the new car just to claim the EVSE tax credit.

Or the reverse (install now, car next year). I took it that the car isn't here yet, which is why I suggested to do the install now while the Infrastructure credit still is in play. Both in the same year is a risk, depending on costs and tax brackets as noted earlier, and it's probably not worth delaying the new car just to claim the EVSE tax credit.
That's exactly what I did. I installed last year and claimed the infrastructure credit when filing this year. Next year, I'll claim the credit on the car which I'm buying this year.

Also if you have a circuit with a single garage outlet on it, and room in your breaker box, consider that swapping it to a 6-15 is a half hour job. Tesla makes an appropriate adapter. If you can do that it will make your charging more efficient and faster, probably around 10 miles per hour. For people who are handy this is a particularly appealing option while waiting to install faster charging, or even in place of it.

The idea is to maximize the copper between your Tesla and your electric meter. If you measure only 110/220 volts at your EVSE under load then you should compare this to the voltage at the meter. Any voltage difference indicates the heating going on inside your walls.
--

I suppose if there is a cheaper tarriff for off-peak usage (here it is 7 hours, during the night) that would help pay for installation, as well giving the benefit of double the charging speed
Even if it's the same price, think of it this way: would you rather pay $1.05 or $1.45 a gallon for fuel? That's roughly the efficiency difference for 40 amp 240v charging vs 120v charging.

Even if it's the same price, think of it this way: would you rather pay $1.05 or $1.45 a gallon for fuel? That's roughly the efficiency difference for 40 amp 240v charging vs 120v charging.
Can you please provide a source for your claim that 240V charging is ~40% more efficient than 120V charging?

Nevermind, went to the Tesla calculator, yeah, it's about 33% difference.

Last edited:
I do it everyday. In fact I use 110v at a 8 amp charge rate. I have a 10mile commute.
I also think it is easier on the battery.... Don't have alot of evidence on this other than a couple of articles I've read, and the fact that I still have 204 out of 208 miles of range at 33k miles. I have supercharged about 50 or so times, and range charged about 20 or so.

I don't recall where the number were calculated from, but it's the same principle that 20A charging at 120V is 40% more efficient than 15A charging (gives 40% greater miles of range/hr) even though the amps are only 25%-- once the overhead of running the electronics and the battery cooling are accounted for, the extra kW goes straight to the battery.

If you're going to spend high 5 figures or 6 figures for an EV, why cheap out and try to get by with 120V charging rather than installing a 240v circuit with 14-50 outlet? With the former you always have to think about having enough charge, with the latter you always start with a full battery in the morning.

I do it everyday. In fact I use 110v at a 8 amp charge rate. I have a 10mile commute.
I also think it is easier on the battery.... Don't have alot of evidence on this other than a couple of articles I've read, and the fact that I still have 204 out of 208 miles of range at 33k miles. I have supercharged about 50 or so times, and range charged about 20 or so.
Do you also think you know more than Tesla's battery engineers?
Do you know that you're running the battery cooling fans at least 10x more than they would run if you charge at the usual 40A from a 14-50 outlet? When you pay to replace those when they're out of warranty you may think differently.

Can you hear the battery cooling fans? I've only heard them kick on while SpCing at low SOC, I don't recall them kickin in from 120V or 240V
My cooling fans kicked on for a short amount of time last night charging at 40amp 240v. I had just arrived home after a 20 minute drive at highway speeds. Plugged in when I pulled in the garage. I was actually sweeping out the leaves from the other garage bay, and about 5 minutes after plugging in the fans came on. First time I've heard them outside of supercharging. They stayed on for a minute or so then shut off. I was done by then so didn't stick around to see if they came back on.

This was using a JuiceBox Pro 40amp charger, not a HPWC.

• Informative
Reactions: Max*