TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

110V for short commute?

Discussion in 'Model S: Battery & Charging' started by BBB4000, Oct 27, 2016.

1. marcad80

marcad80 Member

Do I think I know more than Tesla Engineers???? Hilarious. That's why I said "I don't have alot of evidence on this"
    As far as the fan goes, charging at less than 1000w, I don't even hear the fan on at all. I guess a fan being off will shorten it's life though.....
    But again, I don't have any facts about whether the fans are on or the coolant is circulating other than my ears in a quite garage, before you ask me if I know more that a Tesla Coolant Engineer.....

2. DarkMatter

DarkMatter Member

Did the math wrong earlier. It's more like paying $1.40 vs $1.05 to put $1.00 worth of electricity in the car. Same idea. Charge at 240 if you can.

3. dsm363

dsm363 Roadster + Sig Model S

You can get away with 120V outlet for awhile but come winter time you might just keep your range steady as most of energy will go to heating pack. Definitely look into a 240V 14-50 outlet as it makes ownership more enjoyable. If you went on a long trip and came back almost empty the recharge time on a 120V outlet can be measured in days.

4. BBB4000

BBB4000 Member

Yup, 240V is the long term plan. Thanks for the info.

5. AWDtsla

AWDtsla Active Member

They don't run continuously while charging with 110.