Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

110V for short commute?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Do you also think you know more than Tesla's battery engineers?
Do you know that you're running the battery cooling fans at least 10x more than they would run if you charge at the usual 40A from a 14-50 outlet? When you pay to replace those when they're out of warranty you may think differently.

Do I think I know more than Tesla Engineers???? Hilarious. That's why I said "I don't have alot of evidence on this"
As far as the fan goes, charging at less than 1000w, I don't even hear the fan on at all. I guess a fan being off will shorten it's life though.....
But again, I don't have any facts about whether the fans are on or the coolant is circulating other than my ears in a quite garage, before you ask me if I know more that a Tesla Coolant Engineer.....

The 220V is coming in a little while :) I just need to make sure the 110V can hold me over for a few months and it sounds like it will.
You can get away with 120V outlet for awhile but come winter time you might just keep your range steady as most of energy will go to heating pack. Definitely look into a 240V 14-50 outlet as it makes ownership more enjoyable. If you went on a long trip and came back almost empty the recharge time on a 120V outlet can be measured in days.

You can get away with 120V outlet for awhile but come winter time you might just keep your range steady as most of energy will go to heating pack. Definitely look into a 240V 14-50 outlet as it makes ownership more enjoyable. If you went on a long trip and came back almost empty the recharge time on a 120V outlet can be measured in days.
Yup, 240V is the long term plan. Thanks for the info.

Do you also think you know more than Tesla's battery engineers?
Do you know that you're running the battery cooling fans at least 10x more than they would run if you charge at the usual 40A from a 14-50 outlet? When you pay to replace those when they're out of warranty you may think differently.

They don't run continuously while charging with 110.