TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

1124's first 100 miles...

Discussion in 'Roadster' started by jasonhi, Dec 8, 2010.

1. jasonhi

jasonhi Roadster 2.5 #1135

First off, let me say the staff at Tesla's Seattle store are really great!

Jenny stayed about 20 minutes later than the normal closing time so that I could finish putting out a minor fire at work before picking up my car.

From there I headed home (13 miles), then off to my girl friends place for dinner (16 miles), to pick up food (5 miles), up to a friends place (24 miles), back to my office with friend to pick up the BMW (18 miles; it's a manual, the gf doesn't drive a stick and nobody else was going to drive the Tesla yet today!), back home to drop off the BMW (13 miles), and round trip to take my friend back to his place (11 miles) for a total of 100 miles added to the odometer in my first evening driving the Tesla.

Initial reactions:

1. Nissan may be a bit screwed with the Leaf as far as range goes. I was driving pretty similar to how I normally drive (probably 85-95 percentile of traffic speedwise, so fairly quick, but not crazy). While I comfortably drove 100 miles with 25 estimated miles remaining (34 ideal miles, std mode), I wouldn't have wanted a much smaller pack. It was really nice knowing that I could tap into range mode if needed for another 10% of the battery too, so I didn't have to switch into hypermiling mode on the run to go get the BMW. I really doubt the Leaf could have handled tonight's driving. Basically I used 150 ideal miles to travel 100 real miles.

2. This is the car I've been waiting for, for a really long time. It's way better than my 1995 NSX-T. It's what I really wanted when I converted a 1985 MR2 to electric. I love the ride, handling, center of gravity, low seating position, and quiet smooth ride, not to mention the stunning look. The color choices, wheels and interior are amazing. It's nice and quick, but if money were no object, I can see why one would get the sport. As fast as it is, more power wouldn't hurt, but I stretched plenty to justify the car I ordered, so no regrets on passing on the extra power. I think I'll be glad I got the sport wheels and suspension.

3. I need to read the manuals. The Alpine head unit gave me a few fits trying to figure a few things out while driving in the dark in the rain (gotta love Seattle -- the weather would turn bad again the day I get my car...). Basic car functions fell well in hand, but I have had two somewhat extended test drives since August too, so it wasn't all new to me.

4. So far the car seems really good. Wipers work well, climate control seems adequate, although with two of us and wet it was fogging up a bit inside until I added A/C into the equation as well. Headlights look like they fogged up a bit, but night visibility in the rain was fine, and the wiper worked well. Road/wind noise is noticeable on the freeway, but I was able to take a call on my iPhone with it plugged into the car, use the speaker phone and complete the call. Note to self: need my bluetooth headset in the Tesla now :).

2. mpt

mpt Electrics are back

Good stuff. My 2.0 (566) is in the shop at the moment getting your 2.5's sound proofing and whilst I've ordered the new seats I too have a non-sport. What's great is that for the most part you can add the upgrades as time and money allows. Perhaps one day they'll offer the Sport motor swap out.

3. jasonhi

I was thinking just that yesterday. That would be awesome. Say in a year or two year or two from now get a nice power upgrade. And in 5-10 years a battery upgrade for more range and lighter weight... I really love how Tesla views the car so much more like other technology that can be upgraded throughout it's life.

4. stenkb

stenkb Roadster 938 Model S 5957

What does the sound proofing cost to get done? I have a 2.0 and it would be nice not to hear rocks banging off my Tesla.

5. jasonhi

The Seattle area is covered with sand/small rocks from the snow we had a couple weeks ago. With my 2.5 I'm hearing rocks in the wheel wells all over the place...

6. Jaff

Jaff Active Member

Although I only had one ride in a 2.0, and it was in the summer time (so no snow / salt sand / gravel noise and the roof was off), I was only able to decern a moderately reduced motor whine...enough to notice a difference, but only perhaps because I was listening for it.

7. mpt

mpt Electrics are back

Just published my thoughts on the sound proofing... and, $3K. http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/showthread.php/4763-Impact-of-sound-deadening-kit-on-the-2.0?p=53691

8. dsm363

dsm363 Roadster + Sig Model S

I would love this. I guess I could have gone for the Sport (I added back the wheels and adjustable suspension so a Sport minus the engine) but decided not to. I guess they could upgrade the engine and add the sport badging down the road. It would be a good way for them to make more money I would think.

9. mpt

mpt Electrics are back

I just heard that a replacement Sport PEM is $8k or $18K (the shock of the number caused a momentary blackout) so I image the motor would be even more. But I agree, if TM charged ~$5K for the swap I'm sure that they'd get plenty of takers - me included, as it would be similar in price to an ICE turbo upgrade. The old pem and motor could be upgraded back at the shop to go out to the next buyer. Let's face it, a second hand pem and motor would be fine by me... they don't really wear out.

10. dsm363

dsm363 Roadster + Sig Model S

Wow. I didn't know the PEM was different too. Still, would be cool if a few years down the road it was an option but it's probably not likely.

11. doug

doug Administrator / Head Moderator

The motor discussion went here.