Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

#1144 PEM fan problem

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I got this error recently, and I don't hear the fan running when charging or when idle after I stop from driving freeway speeds. I have the older fan setup where it's two separate fans (Part 30000556 I believe), but thinking maybe I should go with the latest fan mod from Tesla. Anyone have any experience with the fan upgrade, any idea if it was better? From what I see from the new setup there are two diodes inline (I wonder about heat/voltage drop), I just might stick with the smaller two separate fans just because it's easier for me to manually replace if it fails again.

I got this error recently, and I don't hear the fan running when charging or when idle after I stop from driving freeway speeds. I have the older fan setup where it's two separate fans (Part 30000556 I believe), but thinking maybe I should go with the latest fan mod from Tesla. Anyone have any experience with the fan upgrade, any idea if it was better? From what I see from the new setup there are two diodes inline (I wonder about heat/voltage drop), I just might stick with the smaller two separate fans just because it's easier for me to manually replace if it fails again.

The replacement fan is an improvement. It's stronger and the fan motor bearings are sealed better so they don't seize as easily. I may be wrong but I think you have to change something in the firmware when you change to the new fan. They're using PWM to control its speed. The only real downside is it's a little noisier.

The upgraded fan setup it will cost me ~$1,000 from the service center, I'll likely do it later on.
For now I just ordered two old stock on ebay www.ebay.com/itm/Spal-USA-30000556-Single-Wheel-12-Volt-Blower-/310858822160
Wiring connectors looks to be different and comes with an integrated power resistor in the blower... I'll likely remove the power resistor, and reuse the old connector. I'll post photos when I do the swap.

• Informative
Reactions: dhrivnak
So that will certainly work, but you need to watch out for environmental protection i.e. the IP rating. For the SPAL blowers you have ordered, they are IP33 (which equates to protection against basically fingers, and protection against water droplets deflected up to 15° from the vertical). Its the latter quality which is critical.

The upgraded fan setup was rated as IP68 (which is protection against dust and crucially protection against temporary immersion), as you can imagine the fan setup is going to get wet, maybe not quite as wet as the UK during flooding session but still wet. I ended up replacing my upgraded fan setup last summer (a symptom ultimately of PEM connector failure), the replacement fan unit was about $180 and I fitted it in 30 minutes. I'd suggest you might consider that flavour of fan long term, I can point you in the direction of the UK stockist who are very helpful.

As for performance with a new PEM (remanufactured EU version apparently), and the new fan unit, I rarely see PEM temperatures above 40C - this morning I ragged the Roadster to Oxford and back (60 miles) in performance mode - ambient temperature was 6°C, and I was averaging 80mph, PEM stayed below 40°C happily.

hi folks,

i am a new member here living in germany.

i am driving a 2.0 signature and also get the 1144 message frequently but the circumstances are a strange: yesterday i was moderately cruising at a winter outdoor temperature of only 44° F. after approx. 1 hour cruising the display startet to show the 1144-fault again and again (and deleted them again and again...) but the 3 candidates for trouble - PEM, battery and engine - were pretty cool! i stopped and additionally checked the PEM with my hands but could not feel any heat at all.

i continued driving (a bit faster) roughly another hour then without any probs but after this 2nd our the car started showing 1144 again. seems that even hard driving occures no poblem but the driving time does. very annoying behavior!

what goes wrong with MY car? any idea? thanx a lot for your advice!

holger

I also had an intermittent 1144 PEM Fan error on my Roadster, it would come up randomly and seemed unrelated to PEM temperature or driving conditions.

Tesla Service was able to fix it by replacing the PEM wiring harness. It could be a loose connection in your case too.

Check that the fan, single or twin, is also able to rotate freely, when I removed my dual unit, the bearings had suffered water ingress resulting in a balance being out, and a lovely gouge being cut into the housing. So as @djp said, check the connections (do continuity for sanity sake), check the actual blower unit for rotation and absence of play, and if you can see what the connector on the base of the PEM looks like.

I'm on my fourth PEM for reasons I'm certain are linked to the PEM blower fan...

installed a brand new fan last week - everything is fine now! no 1144/46-alerts anymore!

my buddy hooked the old fan on voltage and controlled the current. after some minutes the fan began to draw a significant higher current. so the old fan seemed to be definitely the malefactor! if you have any doubts: throw your old away and replace it too!

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: dhrivnak
installed a brand new fan last week - everything is fine now! no 1144/46-alerts anymore!

my buddy hooked the old fan on voltage and controlled the current. after some minutes the fan began to draw a significant higher current. so the old fan seemed to be definitely the malefactor! if you have any doubts: throw your old away and replace it too!

Hello Holger

Could you tell me where did you find a replacement fan?

Best regards :)