TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

116MPGe has me on the fence, thinking of RWD now

Discussion in 'Model 3: Battery & Charging' started by Thomas Edison, Jul 15, 2018.

1. Thomas Edison

Thomas Edison Active Member

I wasn't expecting that much of a loss and now I'm thinking of switching to RWD. Anyone else? (Assuming non-P AWD is also 116)

• Like x 1
  2. diamond.g

diamond.g Active Member

It is still 310 miles though. So I am not sure what the issue is.

• Like x 1
    • Funny x 1
  3. Thomas Edison

Both do not actually get the 310. That's just marketing. RWD is 126MPGe

• Like x 1
  4. suwaneedad

suwaneedad Member

FWIW, I look at the ~10% efficiency hit in terms of driving a bit slower to make up for the delta. Granted, I'm playing a game by addressing one variable by playing with another, so this thinking may not hold water with you, but it worked for me and was part of my calculus when choosing 18s vs the 19s, and when finally deciding to go with uncovered aeros despite the ~5% efficiency hit. I'm even considering taking the PSI down by ~10% to improve ride quality on poorly paved roads. First world probs, indeed.

• Like x 2
  5. diamond.g

diamond.g Active Member

The 2018 RWD is 130 MPGe. And both are only going to show you EPA range. The Model 3 doesn’t have a GOM like GM and the others do that takes into account your driving habits.

• Like x 1
  6. suwaneedad

suwaneedad Member

Also FWIW, in 6700 miles of use over three months, I'm getting 263w/mi whether in local 45mph roadway use, or on highways at 80mph with the usual variances for traffic/rain and occasional spurts of 85-90mph when traffic/police allow. It's been really fascinating (to me) to see that essentially in each of my use cases, things settle in at 263. Given that my LEAF has always settled in around 250w/mi, and doesn't have nearly the speeds nor range available to it (let alone all the stuff that makes Model 3 FUN), it's astounding to me that I'm conceding a mere 5% of efficiency in order to have a vehicle that is at least 100x better than my LEAF (which is already a very excellent vehicle). It's but one in the very long list of reasons I still pinch myself each time I get behind the wheel of my Model 3.

• Like x 6
    • Informative x 2
    • Helpful x 1
  7. Thomas Edison

Well said, for me I'm going to drive the same regardless of what car I have. The wheels I'll have will be the same regardless of the car too. So it's really about the car itself spending more energy to go the same distance. For me it's about battery degradation over time and heat or ac blasting all day long on a road trip while driving 70mph. I could see myself making inconvenient/additional stops and changing plans to have to make it to certain superchargers. First world problems, indeed.

8. Uncle Paul

Uncle Paul Active Member

Report was that Tesla down rated the RWD to 310 and accurately rated the Performance as the same.

Not sure people will notice much difference. Anything close to 300 miles of range is stellar for any EV.

Believe that the AWD will be sweet for people living in snow regions, while the RWD will certainly provide enough performance for great street use.

Performance wil appeal to those who may see themselves taking their car to the track once in a while, or wish to have dominance on the street.

It is simply amazing how soon Tesla has offered such long range and high performance in their lowest priced car. When the base model begins production they will have a very well rounded set of Model 3 offerings.

Congratulations to all those who have, or will soon qualify for significant tax deductions to reduce their total cost of ownership.

By the time that the competition gets their production act together Tesla will have a full line up to fullfill their master plan.

1. A full line up of various capability Model 3s.
    2. A full line up of various capability Model S.
    3. A full line up of various capability Model X.
    4. A fresh release of the Model Y small SUV for a very popular and growing segment.
    5. A world class high performance Supercar, the New Coupe.
    6. A state of the art Electric Truck.
    7. World class ultra high speed/low cost Lithium Ion battery production facilities, with more in the early stages.
    8. Tens of thousands of high speed Superchargers to offer long distance and urban charging access.
    9. High capacity Solar cell and battery pack production for home, industrial, emergency backup and utility scale power production and load leveling.
    10. Full integration between Electric vehicle, home solar and storage solutions.
    11. State of the art battery technology and advanced planning.
    12. Additonal vehicle and battery assembly and production in the works.
    13. Full integration between Tesla, Space X, Solar, Boring Company and Hyperloop.

I fully believe that while the news is predicting competition coming for Tesla, that Tesla is in fact the competition that is really driving all those other companies.

Once Tesla gets their production up where they can meet the demand for their vehicles they most likely will develop rolling chassis and electric components for RV, short range trucks, commercial vehicles, industrial vehicles, taxi and aero applications.

The future is Electric!

• Love x 2
    • Like x 1
    • Disagree x 1
  9. Knightshade

Knightshade Active Member

Either 3 is more efficient than all the S/X out there, and they seem to be just fine taking road trips and seeing very little battery degradation over years of use.

Is there even any place left in the US where 310 miles (what the AWD/P will get) isn't plenty good enough to get between charging locations?

10. Thomas Edison

I totally get your point of it being better than the S/X, but I'm on the fence over 2 different model 3 variants.

It will for me in some of the places I go in Arizona and Utah and planning on camping in the car way off the the main roads for a couple of days (using heat or ac potentially overnight).

11. diamond.g

diamond.g Active Member

Out of curiosity what is wrong with the RWD model?

12. ForeverFree

ForeverFree Supporting Member

+1 here.

After experiencing awesome improvements in road trip range and charging speeds moving from S85D to 3LR, I’m reluctant to take an 8% step backward.

Eager to see how the EPA highway numbers play out ...

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  13. karpetkutter

karpetkutter Member

Love the RWD and with the weight distribution it is one of the most capable RWD setups available. The energy saving 90% of the year when it there isnt snow or ice far out weighs the capabilities of the small amount of time you will use it in snow, ice conditions.

• Like x 4
  14. Thomas Edison

#14 Thomas Edison, Jul 15, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2018
    The road l live off of, (1550° of turns in 1 mile on a ravine with very few guard rails and an 18% grade). We don't get a lot of snow in the portland area. But when we do I can't leave the house without really good snow tires and AWD. Last year I was snowed in for I believe 8 days over all. Not a lot, but AWD would pay itself off in 3-4 years if I could get to work.

15. Knightshade

Knightshade Active Member

FWIW we rarely get snow, and if we do the car stays in the garage since everything is closed anyway and the car will have summer tires on it all year anyhow.

I'm getting AWD because the performance delta is worth the $ to me (but the P is not)

My current RWD car is about as quick as the RWD Model 3, and even with excellent summer tires and upgraded sway bars I run into the electronic traction nannies slowing me down when accelerating hard around curves- even on dry roads, and forget non-dry ones.... the AWD will solve that issue while doing it about 10% quicker too.

The difference in charging costs will still be tiny compared to the amount of gas $ I save with either version over my ICE car.

• Like x 1
  16. diamond.g

diamond.g Active Member

Based on this image
    IMG_0875.JPG
    And the info we get off fueleconomy.gov for the Model 3 RWD, it appears we lose more in the city (16 MPGe) than the highway (9 MPGe). Maybe that helps?

17. R.S

R.S Active Member

Because Tesla voluntarily lowered the RWD numbers. In reality, the RWD will (probably) give you more driving range. And unless you just want to brag about a number, real world range is what counts.

The car will do fine enough in snow with RWD and I still don't get the "but if the second motor fails" excuse. Or rather why Tesla is putting it on their website. Are they anticipating the motor to fail?

If you want more performance and don't want to spend P money on it, then the AWD LR is the car to go for. If you want driving range, the RWD is the better deal.

If you are waiting for an AWD SR Model 3 with the premium package in the US, then stop waiting and get the LR RWD. Same performance, probably about 50% more real world range and 500 $ cheaper after tax incentives.

• Like x 2
    • Helpful x 1
  18. commasign

commasign Tesla Superfan

Funny this even has to be mentioned but 310 miles is plenty and more range than any other EV out there (besides the $100k+ Model S 100D and the $150k+ P100D). I’m driving an almost 4 year old S and 2.5 year old X with 80% daily charge ranges of ~200 miles, and practical daily ranges of much less (due to upgraded wheels and aggressive driving). I’ve never come close to running out of charge for any daily driving situation. Even my previous 110 mile range RAV4 EV had enough range for most daily driving situations. 310 miles is next level. My advice, if you were going to get the 3 AWD or 3 P, dont worry that it doesn’t get “more” than the advertised range. The car will over deliver in other ways (e.g. the smile on your face will be bigger than you expected). :)

• Like x 2
  19. Thomas Edison

Hopefully my math is right, that's about 7.5% highway to highway loss or about 25 miles on a full charge.

20. MacGreiner

Just came back from the Formula E race yesterday. We charged for the first time to 100% in the RWD 3. We left with 317 Miles. So although they may have downgraded the LR range, it is only 2% more for us.