Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

118 sentry events

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We saw John Legend at the Greek Theatre in LA last night. Cars are parked on the grounds of Griffith Park, without much structure. in about 3 hours, the car recorded 118 sentry events! I didn’t look at my range when I got out, but assume that there was significant drain in that short time. And no, I haven’t watched them. 🤣

Reactions: Tomc62
We saw John Legend at the Greek Theatre in LA last night. Cars are parked on the grounds of Griffith Park, without much structure. in about 3 hours, the car recorded 118 sentry events! I didn’t look at my range when I got out, but assume that there was significant drain in that short time. And no, I haven’t watched them. 🤣

Probably not any more drain than just having sentry mode on. The car is awake when sentry is on, but I dont think recording will add any "significant" overhead on top of already being awake.

The car is always recording if it's awake (assuming proper storage is attached)- that's what dashcam does. Sentry does not record anything ever.

All sentry is doing, video-wise, is when it goes to alert or alarm is moves the last 10 minutes of dashcam footage over to the "sentry" folder...so I wouldn't expect the battery drain to be significantly different than without any sentry events... a tiny bit because it flashed the headlights 118 times I guess :)

The car is always recording if it's awake (assuming proper storage is attached)- that's what dashcam does. Sentry does not record anything ever.

All sentry is doing, video-wise, is when it goes to alert or alarm is moves the last 10 minutes of dashcam footage over to the "sentry" folder...so I wouldn't expect the battery drain to be significantly different than without any sentry events... a tiny bit because it flashed the headlights 118 times I guess :)
My husband works a lot in the garage, around the car. His anecdotal impression was that he was draining the battery, so he turned off sentry for that location. You don’t think that was accurate?

My husband works a lot in the garage, around the car. His anecdotal impression was that he was draining the battery, so he turned off sentry for that location. You don’t think that was accurate?

His being around the car wasn't the difference. Sentry being on at all was.

if sentry is on the car remains "awake" rather than going to a power-saving sleep mode.

Reactions: trojaneen
I get about 60-90 a day in my parking garage at work while plugged into the chargers. Busy pathway to the building. Too much? turn sentry off. I got a 1TB drive don’t care personally. But would suck if I had to go through them and find something.

happens when you have flickering lights around the car. my record was like 512 or smth.

Does the drive just re-write over it self? Any reason to periodically format?

The system always overwrites the 1 hour recent content.

Stuff in the saved folder (manual saves via dashcam button or honk) stay until you manually erase them.

Sentry footage (dashcam footage sentry alerts move over to this folder) stay under you manually erase, or the drive is very close to full (I think like 95%) then it'll overwrite the oldest sentry recordings.

Reason to format is flash media (all types) slow down as they approach full.

For my 128GB key I generally clear it out every 3-4 months, where it'd get roughly 1/2-2/3rds full in the time typically.

• Helpful
Reactions: SaintMickey®