TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

#1181 - White - SALVAGE

Discussion in 'Tesla for Sale' started by TEG, Oct 15, 2012.

1. doug

doug Administrator / Head Moderator

That looks pretty cool actually. I wonder what happened.

2. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

Looks like something happened to the back bumper (since reattached) too:
    15978372_9X.JPG

3. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

#4 vfx, Oct 15, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 15, 2012
    borg-terminator1.jpg

4. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

#5 TEG, Oct 15, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2013
    That Roadster 'will be back'... (in service after repairs)

- - - Updated - - -

stock-illustration-10508288-humpty-dumpty-cracked.jpg

5. palmer_md

palmer_md Member

If I were to purchase this car, where would I take it for repairs (in California). Would Tesla itself be the place to have the work done, or are there any good body shops that also know how to work on Roadsters, or a combination of bodywork done by a body shop and the other parts done in Menlo Park or some other Tesla repair shop.

6. wiztecy

wiztecy Active Member

#7 wiztecy, Oct 16, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2012
    The hardest part of the repair would be the side where the vent/rear of the passenger cabin is torn off. That CF shell is 'glued" to the frame and doesn't look like an easy job to remove or put back on. I wouldn't really trust a bodyshop with that work unless they're experts at CF repair and have a good understanding of the roadster's build. I saw a white roadster that was being rebuilt from salvage at Telsa, Menlo Park, and viewed that center cabin CF structure and asked about it. Just looking at that and knowing how its permanently fit does not make it an easy and inexpensive repair. Hence the salvage title. I don't think the frame is hurt from this impact.

Also its really odd how this roadster's been passed around, starting in FL, sold there, then shipped out to CA. 15K markup or so possibly for putting back on the rear bumper and lights.... also why'd they back out of repairing it? My assumption was cost, they didn't know how specialized that damage is, and with specialization / unique parts the cost is driven very high.

As for the crash, looks like it was rear-ended lightly but that pushed the roadster into a car or some other structure that damaged the side. The rear bumper-cover, lights, etc that look new appear that they may have been from the 1st person trying to resurrect this roadster and bailed due to the cost of repair.

I also noticed the CF hardtop is chipped and damaged, the front right corner. It wasn't damaged in the pics where the rear-end is off. Another problem when cars change hands so quickly amongst people.

7. 4sevens.com

4sevens.com Member

Does the car even run? I messaged the ebay seller but got no reply.

8. wiztecy

wiztecy Active Member

#9 wiztecy, Oct 16, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2012
    From the ebay pic, there's no status coming back from the battery... usually if the mileage shows I'd suspect the battery status would appear. I don't see any battery icon. I don't know what gets displayed on that readout if the 12v aux. battery dies or if the main battery pack is bricked. Something tells me that the odometer is driven off the aux batt and the main pack the battery status/readout:

085.jpg

This doesn't look good, water sprayed around the console. Wasn't cared for while it was sitting from my impression of this. Could be over spray from the wash hose and not rain but still... I wouldn't have soaked it:

15978372_8X.JPG

9. 4sevens.com

4sevens.com Member

If it was $5k I'd buy it to mess around with it. More than that I wouldn't - too much of a risk of the car sitting for the rest of it's life.

10. wiztecy

wiztecy Active Member

Cooling line is pinched:
    062.jpg

11. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

And there are others who would mess with it for 20K or 30K.

12. 4sevens.com

4sevens.com Member

apparently... and obviously without success. Some have too much $ to toss around. That car doesn't even run.. see the rust on the brake rotors? water on the dash? The car is wasting away.

13. qwk

qwk Model S P2681

You could part it out for much more then that. I doubt that there will ever be an opportunity to buy a complete roadster, wrecked or not for under $20k.

14. Thumper

Thumper Member

High likelihood the battery is damaged from charging neglect. If price was low enough, one could buy it and eventually find an appropriate Lotus donor chassis with a blown ICE, add a new(possibly improved) battery and voila you have a winner.

15. wiztecy

wiztecy Active Member

The chasis is fine, its the proprietary CF skin and the labor to remove and re-install that's the cost driver here. No Lotus Elise skin will fit any part of the Roadster.

16. palmer_md

palmer_md Member

Apparently sold for $40k. They never answered any emails so not sure how they got a bidder.

17. Timothy

Timothy Driving on Sunshine

Car #1181.

Yikes!!! My car is #1180--They're after me!!!! Run for it!!!

• Funny x 1
  18. palmer_md

palmer_md Member

It has now been relisted by the same seller at $45,900. Not only did they increase the price, but they now have noted that the car does not run or drive, and as others have speculated, I think they may not have the car plugged in so it might be "bricked". They never did answer any of my emails from the first listing, but some were answered with the second posting. I don't think they are going to have much luck at this price if it not only needs the body and frame work, but also a new battery pack. It will be interesting to see what happens to this car in the future. Perhaps Tesla will purchase this for parts.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Tesla-Roadster-S-tesla-2011-Tesla-Roadster-S-Sport-damaged-wrecked-rebuildable-salvage-Low-Miles-/281007956252?pt=US_Cars_Trucks&hash=item416d61211c#ht_35918wt_1166

19. wiztecy

wiztecy Active Member

Sorry, but I had to put a $10,000 WTF 'Best Offer' in on that auction. Seller sounds slimy not disclosing info on the car, looks like they're really fishing for a sucker.