Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

11k miles (and 18 months) S60 only showing 168 miles range on full charge :(

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
smac,

In this topic I see a lot of confusion between rated range and typical range. This is mainly because when you say 171 miles typical range, people compare this to 171 miles EPA rated range. These are two different measurement systems Tesla uses in different locations. Because you are from the UK, your car doesn't display (can't display) EPA rated range. Similarly, Model S cars in North America can't display typical range. Your S60 is comparable to other S60's from Europe but not from North America. Merijn's battery survey has many S60 entries from Europe. Your car is comparable to those. With 171 mi typical range (275 km typical range), your range is similar to other S60's. It is not the lowest. Your range loss is about 5%. I recommend switching to km instead miles when you read range numbers at 100% charge. This way you can avoid a lot of confusion and find a lot more comparable data in this forum.

171 miles typical range in Europe = 198 miles EPA rated range in North America

I have a 2013 S40 with 32k miles.
Do you happen to work in Hillsboro near the airport at a big company? We don't have too many 40s in town and I wonder if we met at the coffee machine :)

I tried a similar test, charging to the maximum allowed and then driving out and back (trying to hit 300Wh/mi) until the car hit zero miles rated range. I start out with 130 miles rated each day, and obviously have never been able to 100% charge or supercharge. I believe the limit is 72%. With 1 mile remaining, I had consumed 36.2kWh over 119.8 miles at 302Wh/mi. I have no idea how to interpret that, since 72% of 60kWh is 43.2kWh, and there is a buffer at the top and the bottom of the battery charge range (minus any deg).
Well, all bets are off for the 40 since you can't really charge it to 100%. It simply decides how far it lets you charge. I always assumed it would always allow you to charge to 40kW... and 36.2kW used sounds about right. 60s and 85s get about 54-56kW and 75-78kW
Also note the hilariously wrong album art...
Yes, the OPB "album" art is always glorious... for a while I had Michael Jackson's face...

smac,

In this topic I see a lot of confusion between rated range and typical range. This is mainly because when you say 171 miles typical range, people compare this to 171 miles EPA rated range. These are two different measurement systems Tesla uses in different locations. Because you are from the UK, your car doesn't display (can't display) EPA rated range. Similarly, Model S cars in North America can't display typical range. Your S60 is comparable to other S60's from Europe but not from North America. Merijn's battery survey has many S60 entries from Europe. Your car is comparable to those. With 171 mi typical range (275 km typical range), your range is similar to other S60's. It is not the lowest. Your range loss is about 5%. I recommend switching to km instead miles when you read range numbers at 100% charge. This way you can avoid a lot of confusion and find a lot more comparable data in this forum.

171 miles typical range in Europe = 198 miles EPA rated range in North America

Thanks for the link Troy.

Yep was aware of the European cars being different (and apologies for any confusion)

Irrespective of the measurement scheme, my experience has been the cars ultimately have a wH/mi (or wH/km) figure coded into them. This constant (along with whatever adjustments) are then used against the cars' SOC and simple multiplication gives you the indicated range.

As others pointed out (and I was aware) that 60 != 60 usable.

So for me @ 56kWh giving a prediction of 171 miles this is equivalent to 327wH/mi.

Using the same logic an EU S85 reports 245 miles for their 78kWh usable. I.e. 318wH/mi (under the same rating scheme.)

Can you see the issue? How can the more efficient car have a higher energy usage per mile?

The US cars seem far more accurately configured.

The S60 using 270wH/mi and the S85 295wH/mi as the basis for their calcs.

Now it matters not to me, I can work round it. It seemingly matters a great deal to the range assurance app and it's effect on sat nav. It gets completely confused (more so than normal!), as it seems to be geared toward an S85's real world wH/mi (likely higher than "typical"), and doubly compounded by the fact my actual consumption is generally lower than 327wH/mi.

Hope that makes sense.

I'm in NE Portland, so that wasn't me. I don't really have a problem with them allocating me ~36kWh instead of 40, based on what is done with other models and the buffer.

Do you happen to work in Hillsboro near the airport at a big company? We don't have too many 40s in town and I wonder if we met at the coffee machine :)

Well, all bets are off for the 40 since you can't really charge it to 100%. It simply decides how far it lets you charge. I always assumed it would always allow you to charge to 40kW... and 36.2kW used sounds about right. 60s and 85s get about 54-56kW and 75-78kW

Yes, the OPB "album" art is always glorious... for a while I had Michael Jackson's face...