Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

11kW charging?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Since I got my M3 I have been using my 32A tethered Type 1 charger with a Type1 to Type 2 adaptor to charge the Tesla. I have this for our other electric car a 6 year old Nissan Leaf (7kW). That all works fine. However I would like to change the charger to a Type 2 socket arrangement. The Nissan and the Tesla can be charged from that using thier respective charge cables.

However the Tesla would charge at 11kW if I could get the right wall box. There is plenty of power supply for that (In fact I have three phase 415V/240V in the garage). However I can't seem to find a Type 2 that will charge single phase at 11kW - I can find a Type 2 that will charge 22kW three phase but that probably does not help the Tesla charge quicker.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

There's not many wall connectors that will give you that much current since most other EV's don't support it. There's Wall Watts and ClipperCreek ones but they're expensive.

It's cheaper to just keep your existing one for the J1772 connector and add a Tesla HPWC.

Or ask yourself if you really need the higher charge. If you’re able to do 7.5kW (32A at 240) then the long range 0% to 100% would probably be a little over 10 hours. Realistically you’re probably not draining to zero... so 10% to a 100% would be 67.5kWh and should be ~9 to 9.5 hours. Most people are at home for at least 9 hours over night. Do you drive like 250+ miles a day? Or do you share the car with someone that works opposite shifts? (Like you get home with an hour overlap or so before they take the car and leave)

Or be honest... are you just looking for fast, more powerful, higher numbers?

Since I got my M3 I have been using my 32A tethered Type 1 charger with a Type1 to Type 2 adaptor to charge the Tesla. I have this for our other electric car a 6 year old Nissan Leaf (7kW). That all works fine. However I would like to change the charger to a Type 2 socket arrangement. The Nissan and the Tesla can be charged from that using thier respective charge cables.

However the Tesla would charge at 11kW if I could get the right wall box. There is plenty of power supply for that (In fact I have three phase 415V/240V in the garage). However I can't seem to find a Type 2 that will charge single phase at 11kW - I can find a Type 2 that will charge 22kW three phase but that probably does not help the Tesla charge quicker.

Any ideas?

Thanks.
I would consider getting the 22kW Type 2 three phase unit and use it to charge both the Leaf and Tesla.

Thanks folks. I am in Scotland - so is a 'type 2' country. I use the Tesla for work and often have to drive 200 miles or more to sites. I am an engineer and am on call 24/7 so when the car has already been used during the day I might suddenly need it again in the middle of the night so having faster charging at home sometimes helps. Also at some of the site I go to there is nothing more than a 13A (UK Square pin) socket and I would like to install a charger there. One site already has a 22kW three phase but the others have nothing.

Reactions: Punjabi510
Thanks folks. I am in Scotland - so is a 'type 2' country. I use the Tesla for work and often have to drive 200 miles or more to sites. I am an engineer and am on call 24/7 so when the car has already been used during the day I might suddenly need it again in the middle of the night so having faster charging at home sometimes helps. Also at some of the site I go to there is nothing more than a 13A (UK Square pin) socket and I would like to install a charger there. One site already has a 22kW three phase but the others have nothing.
On a Leaf you should be able to use a 3x32A charger at 32A, while the Tesla will charge at 3x16A.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

not really possible as 48A single phase is superrare in europe. machines usually use 32A x 3 phase.

Thanks for your replies - I have solved this - Today I was at a charger with a 7kW single phase outlet and a 22kW three phase outlet. I plugged the car into both to try them out.

In the single phase outlet the car reported 32A and 22miles/hr charge rate

20200405_123215 (Medium).jpg

In the three phase outlet the car reported only 16A but 43miles/hr charge rate - and shows a small (3) indicating it is taking three phases.

20200405_123340.jpg

So the answer is - any 22kW three phase outlet will charge the car at 11kW.

Juts out of interest, if the car can take 32A on one phase then why not the other two phases and then charge at the full 22kW?

Thanks for your replies - I have solved this - Today I was at a charger with a 7kW single phase outlet and a 22kW three phase outlet. I plugged the car into both to try them out.

In the single phase outlet the car reported 32A and 22miles/hr charge rate

View attachment 529588

In the three phase outlet the car reported only 16A but 43miles/hr charge rate - and shows a small (3) indicating it is taking three phases.

View attachment 529589

So the answer is - any 22kW three phase outlet will charge the car at 11kW.

Juts out of interest, if the car can take 32A on one phase then why not the other two phases and then charge at the full 22kW?

afaik the car can just take 48A which can arrive in the charger any way you want though im not sure whether it can technically charge at 24A dualphase. for 3 phase you cant charge i. e. one phase at 32A and then 8A on the other two as the phases have to be balanced.

That's because the car has three units in the on-board charger, each of which can handle 16 Amps. When you use a single phase, the on-board charger utilises the units in parallel, thus allowing up to 48 Amps, whereas when you use all three phases, each unit handles 16 Amps on one phase each. The onboard charger simply cannot handle more than 3x 16 Amps, be it three times 16 Amps on a single phase or 3-phase AC.

One small detail: the (3) means that the car is using more than one phase. If for whatever reason one phase is disconnected, it will still display the (3).

• Informative
Reactions: SageBrush