Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is it just me or do you get a bit flustered or irritated that most of the commentators say that they just got their OTA update but haven’t driven the car yet, because it’s downloading, or they’re abt to go to bed, or their tummy hurts too much to drive or not read or report what information was on the screen, to learn what new expectations or options are available.
I came here to read what someone experienced or knows, with this update...NOT what other Model 3 options they have or what color socks they’re wearing tomorrow! Sheesh..

True for newer M3's but older M3's have older HW 2.5. You can have HW 3.0 and still get the enhanced visualizations (where you see stop signs and stop lights), but you won't get the feature to stop at signs or red lights without having FSD. With HW 2.5 you do not even get the enhanced visualizations, so no stop signs and no stop lights, only cones.

Any idea how this update will apply to those of us “in between” who have Enhanced Autopilot? Took delivery in Oct 2018 so definitely HW 2.5 with no plans to upgrade to FSD / HW 3. I have Summon and Autopark, and I see cones EVERYWHERE.

Is it just me or do you get a bit flustered or irritated that most of the commentators say that they just got their OTA update but haven’t driven the car yet, because it’s downloading, or they’re abt to go to bed, or their tummy hurts too much to drive or not read or report what information was on the screen, to learn what new expectations or options are available.
I came here to read what someone experienced or knows, with this update...NOT what other Model 3 options they have or what color socks they’re wearing tomorrow! Sheesh..

It’s a free web community forum. Yes, you’re certainly correct that I gain more value from some posts than others.

But the community encourages everyone to post anything they want to say (Tesla related and suitably polite,) and we’re better off on the whole with people participating than not.

• Disagree
Reactions: Naftaturbo

Owners are happy with their cars. They’re enthusiastic about them. They love the updates, they’re excited to see new updates, and they’re sharing that with others who share that enthusiasm and fun around it all.
I can appreciate that myself.

I’ll happily read 50 posts like that, over another owner whining about why they are entitled to free software. :)

Any idea how this update will apply to those of us “in between” who have Enhanced Autopilot? Took delivery in Oct 2018 so definitely HW 2.5 with no plans to upgrade to FSD / HW 3. I have Summon and Autopark, and I see cones EVERYWHERE.
Yep, that's about the extent of it with HW 2.5, cones everywhere and nothing more. The stop at stop sign/light feature requires HW 3.0 as does the enhanced visualization option that show trash cans, mail boxes, bicycles, etc...

Last edited:
I used it for a short time today and was impressed that it warned me of a traffic light 600 ft ahead that I couldn't see because of a large truck in front of me. Then later it asked me to confirm I wanted to go through light which was green at the time; it prompted again when the light turned yellow.
Does this interfere with the driving experience?

Owners are happy with their cars. They’re enthusiastic about them. They love the updates, they’re excited to see new updates, and they’re sharing that with others who share that enthusiasm and fun around it all.
I can appreciate that myself.

I’ll happily read 50 posts like that, over another owner whining about why they are entitled to free software. :)

Hehe, indeed. I posted a message about this firmware upgrade in the 3 forum and was descended upon by a group of folks who apparently have a LOT of free time on their hands who downvoted the post. When I chuckled and said "oops, I'll go to the thread that you're pointing to instead" they downvoted that one as well. Not everyone is "blessed" with so much free time that they can read sub-forums outside of the model they own. To have the time to also go around and micromanage what and where other people post is truly a blessing of excess free time. :)

Frankly, I'm still pleasantly surprised each time I get a firmware upgrade and I'm only in my 2nd month of ownership. What a great business model. I'll endeavor to curb my enthusiasm. :)

Best,

I'll endeavor to curb my enthusiasm.
As a Tesla owner, that will be a hard one to pull off. We are all like children on Christmas morning waiting to open our presents when a new FW drops and delivers some new feature or enhances our car in some way. Don't worry about all the forum cops, their intentions are good but they can be a little over aggressive in their approach at times. The rest of us are just hear to learn and share our experiences with other M3 owners.

Same for me as well. I've had mine for a couple of days and haven't noticed anything different so far.

One thing I noticed immediately yesterday that might carry over to non-FSD is the traffic light visualization changed. Before, you could kinda see the color of the light if you looked closely.

On 12.11.1, the color is immediately obvious, and it highlights the set that it thinks apply to you (straight vs turn) by making them bigger and brighter than the other sets.

I’m not sure exactly when the change happened - because of the current medical situation it had been five weeks and two firmware versions since I last drove...

Reactions: Eagledon
One thing I noticed immediately yesterday that might carry over to non-FSD is the traffic light visualization changed. Before, you could kinda see the color of the light if you looked closely.

On 12.11.1, the color is immediately obvious, and it highlights the set that it thinks apply to you (straight vs turn) by making them bigger and brighter than the other sets.

I’m not sure exactly when the change happened - because of the current medical situation it had been five weeks and two firmware versions since I last drove...
Yeah, but visualizations are only for HW 3.0, even if you don't have FSD. I still have HW 2.5 so I don't see traffic lights or stop signs. I'm looking forward to getting that once I'm upgraded to HW3.0 though! But for HW3.0 owners without FSD, they can check this out to see if they notice the improvement or not.

OOO Ill check that on the way home today.

Yeah, but visualizations are only for HW 3.0, even if you don't have FSD. I still have HW 2.5 so I don't see traffic lights or stop signs. I'm looking forward to getting that once I'm upgraded to HW3.0 though! But for HW3.0 owners without FSD, they can check this out to see if they notice the improvement or not.

Curious, what made you decide to drop the $4k for FSD at this point? Please be as elaborate or grief as you care to be with your explanation. I have thought about it for 18 months now and just can’t find a way to justify that spend.

Enjoy your new visualizations! :)

Curious, what made you decide to drop the $4k for FSD at this point? Please be as elaborate or grief as you care to be with your explanation. I have thought about it for 18 months now and just can’t find a way to justify that spend.

Enjoy your new visualizations! :)
Elon keeps indicating that as more and more features are released the cost for FSD will continue to increase. I bought my car used and it came with EAP (which I don't think the used car dealership had any knowledge of), so my upgrade cost was only $4k, vs $7k or $10k. I know I will eventually get it, as this is really the heart of what a Tesla is all about, to me. So why wait another year or two and have to pay $5k or $6k to get the same thing now for $4k? I see it more as the cheapest path to FSD vs waiting to watch it all come to fruition and then have to pay even more for it down the road. I'm fairly confident that I will have this car much longer that any other car I have owned in the past, and even if I decided to upgrade before I actually got FSD installed or even after it is installed, I feel I will get that $4k back when I sell it. I know I won't use a subscription service as I can't see spending hundreds of dollars every month for something I won't eventually own, so that option is out, for me. That was my thought process on making my decision. Now it's your turn! Come on in, the water is warm!

• Informative
Reactions: EnrgyNDpndnce