TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

12/13/12 - Odd event @ Tesla NYC

Discussion in 'Tesla Motors' started by AnOutsider, Nov 29, 2012.

1. AnOutsider

AnOutsider S532 # XS27

Odd because... well, haircuts, cigars and cars? Might be a different social group than I'm used to. Anyway, my cousin shared this with me:

iAdventure | Tesla Motors - New York

7016303445.jpg

2. v12 to 12v

v12 to 12v Active Member

What? No red Solo cups???

3. agelston

agelston Member

This seems beyond awesome.

4. Discoducky

Discoducky Active Member

Cigars? Is this still in fashion? What year is it?

5. mitch672

mitch672 Active Member

Sounds like their trying to "get a different crowd" to see the Model S, you know, the kind of older white guys who make up the Republican Party, and who enjoy fine eateries such as "Smith & Wollenskies", "Sparks Steakhouse", "Morton's" etc. I count myself among them, except for the a Republican part :)

6. doug

doug Administrator / Head Moderator

Spoken like a bro.

I notice cigar lounges and tobacco shops[SUP]*[/SUP] fairly often here in Northern California. There's even a cigar lounge a few doors down from the Tesla store in Santana Row.

*Not to be confused with that other type of smoke shop more commonly found in Berkeley.

7. bonnie

bonnie Oil is for sissies.

Clearly they're not targeting most female buyers.

8. doug

Yeah, this this is clearly for dudes. So this Perks looks like another GroupOn/LivingSocial type service. Tesla has a history of letting outside groups use their stores for evening parties. I would notice them pretty regularly at the Menlo Park store when I used to drive by there often. I think it's a good way to make use of that awesome space and to continue to spread the word about the cars. Curious about the cigar smoke from this event, though. Are the cars (or even the T-shirts they sell) going to smell like smoke for the following week?

9. tray loader

tray loader Member

much better one with the "talented blonde" who can sing.

C´mon guys, reprint the ad.That´s simply macho and anti women...You can do better, or is this ad for the car guys -lol

10. NigelM

NigelM Recovering Member

They're back in fashion! Dude, you need to get out more.....:wink:

11. mitch672

mitch672 Active Member

I assume they will put away all of the merchandise, unless they keep some Tesla employees available to sell it to the guests.

12. ckessel

ckessel Active Member

Anti-women? Granted, the ad is targeted to typically male things, but outside of the word "blonde" I don't see anything that is specifically negative towards women. And personally, the word blonde doesn't give me any sexist connotations. They didn't call her sexy or stunning or any such innuendo.

13. doug

And I assume they won't let anyone some in the cars. May still take a while to air the place out.

14. bonnie

I'd say it's more "non-inclusive" of other groups. Which is fine -- targeting different groups makes sense. But, well ... -sigh-.

15. ckessel

ckessel Active Member

Yea, one hopes they'll keep the smoke away. I'm actually mildly allergic to cigarette smoke so I quite literally can't spend much time in a room or car that's got smoke sunk into them from previous owners without getting tightness in my chest.

16. doug

The ad copy for these Groupon/Google Offers type things is typically written by contracted temp workers (I've known a few students that did it for extra cash) that are given basic facts about the event or product and are charged with jazzing it up so that it will sound attractive to the target audience. I don't think it's particularly sexist, it's simply targeted.

Suppose the event advertised facials, mani-pedis, appletinis, handbags (for a little less than their usual rates), and a talented tall and dark haired lounge singer. Would that be anti men? I know I wouldn't care to go, but I wouldn't find it offensive.

17. spatterso911

spatterso911 MSP#7577 **--** MX#1891

I know women who enjoy fine cigars as well.

18. v12 to 12v

v12 to 12v Active Member

I'll blow my cover here. I'm a sister... but I don't mind being called a bro. I'm just happy to be called.

I have had a red Solo cup in one hand and a cigar in the other on festive occasions.

My nail polish is Signature Red and I do it myself. :D

19. bonnie

Yep, exactly. I don't find it anti-women, just non-inclusive. Now I would find it offensive if Tesla ONLY sponsored these types of events and didn't do the mani-pedis thing with a talented tall and dark musician. I'll let you all know when that invite hits my inbox.

20. NigelM

NigelM Recovering Member

#20 NigelM, Nov 29, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 13, 2016
    Caitlin Bell used to be blonde....now she's sort of Sig Red.....

2009:

Last week: