Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

12/18 M3P Got More Than I Paid For

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
“You buy the ticket, you take the ride.” —Hunter S. Thompson
“You buy the ticket for $25. The guy after you gets the same ticket for $12.50. You ask why and they laugh and shut the ticket window. You both take the same ride, but you feel like you got ripped off and you aren’t sure why so it’s harder to enjoy the ride. The ride comes to an end. The other guy buys hotdogs and beer with the $12.50 he saved. You have to go hungry because $25 was all you had.”

-Not Hunter S. Thompson

My bonus has been all the rewarding places I have taken my X over the past couple years.

Went places I never would have, just because of the goodness of the X.

In addition to normal grind of commuting, the Autopilot has made that so much more tolerable.

I have toured all the Western National parks. Met lots of nice people at the Superechargers as well as stopping in places that normally I would have just sped by.

Most recent bonus was seeing the extreme joy and out of control laughter from my normally non-involved Grandchildren when they first experienced the Fart generator. Laughed so hard they almost fell out of their car seats.

In addition to providing transportation, the car has also generated tons of joy.

Thanks Elon.

Reactions: radiocycle and MTSN
“You buy the ticket for $25. The guy after you gets the same ticket for $12.50. You ask why and they laugh and shut the ticket window. You both take the same ride, but you feel like you got ripped off and you aren’t sure why so it’s harder to enjoy the ride. The ride comes to an end. The other guy buys hotdogs and beer with the $12.50 he saved. You have to go hungry because $25 was all you had.”

-Not Hunter S. Thompson
If you are going to pollute every model 3 thread, at least put down some math that is not an exaggeration.

Reactions: UngaBunga1989
Yes, you read that title correctly. I took delivery of my M3P on 12/28/18 and in my view of the world, Tesla has already given me MORE than I paid for. Specifically as of the middle of this coming week I will have gotten:

1. A 5% increase in power;
2. 3 extra months of free supercharging (I was supposed to get 6 and they credited me with 9);
3. A $3,000 discount on the cost of upgrading to FSD (when I purchased the car the upgrade cost was supposed to be $5,000 and last week I was able to purchase it for $2,000);
4. Sentry Mode.

None of the above were expected or negotiated by me...they were proactively given to me by Tesla. This seems to get lost on many here because they spend time looking at the deals that other folks have gotten and / or looking at what they may have gotten by purchasing their car later. However, as I see things, we all vote with our pocketbooks AT THE TIME THAT WE MAKE A PURCHASE. And, if we "hit the bid," it means that at that moment we felt we were getting fair value.

So, from where I sit, Tesla not only has not "screwed" me -- the way so many people have expressed feeling because of the price drops on the M3 and FSD -- they are the first car company that I have ever purchased from that gave me MORE than I bought. Bravo. Not only do I remain a Tesla fan, but I love my car and are encouraging as many people as I can to support the Company and its mission.

2. 3 extra months of free supercharging (I was supposed to get 6 and they credited me with 9);
3. A $3,000 discount on the cost of upgrading to FSD (when I purchased the car the upgrade cost was supposed to be $5,000 and last week I was able to purchase it for $2,000);
4. Sentry Mode.

You got the 5% increase already? Or you were promised it? I agree with your other points.

I am most impressed with being given double the super charger rate on new super chargers and 25% increase (promised) on existing chargers.

Agree, this car just keeps getting better!
I certainly understand the upset over price changes for the benefit of new purchasers. After all, one of the driving factors of buying a Tesla was the rejection of car dealers’ sales gimmicks, price changes and pressure tactics. Price fluctuations happen in every market.

Each one of us will receive added benefits with more cars on the road for all the right reasons.

-Not Hunter S. Thompson

Puh-lease........

FACT: At the time you purchased your car, you felt the price of the car was reasonable and fair and Tesla felt the money you were paying was worth more to them than keeping the car. A deal was struck. What has changed? Nothing other than your perception of the value of your deal based on new pricing.

FACT: I paid out the door $121k and some change for my MS 100D just shy of a year ago. TODAY, that same car can be had with enough money left over to buy my kid a late model Prius for school. Well minus the moonroof (GOTTA have the moonroof). It was a great car then at a good price. It is a great car now at a good price.

It's a car, not an investment.

I also remember paying $1,500 for a Tandy TRS 90 with 16k of memory when I was in High school. A month ago, I bought a phidget computer for automating a thing that had a THOUSAND times more computing power. It cost me less than 20 bucks.

Damn Capitalists..... :)

Oh, and by the way?

MY CAR HAS MORE FEATURES NOW THAN WHEN I BOUGHT IT VIA OTA FREE UPGRADES!

NO other car company does this.

Tesla could nickel and dime us to death and most of us would pay for it because we are all mostly gadget freaks (Well, most of the S and X owners. Model 3 has brought more mainstream people into the family).

It's a better car than the car for which I agreed to pay $121k.

Last edited:
Yes, you read that title correctly. I took delivery of my M3P on 12/28/18 and in my view of the world, Tesla has already given me MORE than I paid for. Specifically as of the middle of this coming week I will have gotten:

4. Sentry Mode.

None of the above were expected or negotiated by me...they were proactively given to me by Tesla. This seems to get lost on many here because they spend time looking at the deals that other folks have gotten and / or looking at what they may have gotten by purchasing their car later. However, as I see things, we all vote with our pocketbooks AT THE TIME THAT WE MAKE A PURCHASE. And, if we "hit the bid," it means that at that moment we felt we were getting fair value.

So, from where I sit, Tesla not only has not "screwed" me -- the way so many people have expressed feeling because of the price drops on the M3 and FSD -- they are the first car company that I have ever purchased from that gave me MORE than I bought. Bravo. Not only do I remain a Tesla fan, but I love my car and are encouraging as many people as I can to support the Company and its mission.

Very happy for you but a bit self-serving if you think about it.

For those of us with a less than optimal experience (and I can tell you it was not because of 'timing' of purchase or expectations that the cost would fluctuate), it really does little to address concerns that plague Tesla Delivery and Service.
so. yeah - good for you so you can tell everyone you feel good about it.

As I said I'm happy for you but it does nothing to move the needle toward better care from the people at Tesla. and after all, don't we ALL want to brag about what AMAZING deal and service we got?

So Tesla - pay attention - you made a few happy customers but you've got a bucket load of others who are just too frustrated to complain because you have failed with at least as many customers in the service department.

• Love
Reactions: AustinPowers
So Tesla - pay attention - you made a few happy customers but you've got a bucket load of others who are just too frustrated to complain because you have failed with at least as many customers in the service department.

Amen to that!

I bought a LR AWD, not a performance, so probably none of the points the OP mentioned will matter in my case.

My delivery is scheduled for tomorrow, so I cannot pass final judgement yet.

But from what I experienced up to now I am not very positive about the whole matter. Not the price changes in the US, because over here prices are still the same to what they were when I ordered and paid. And if they weren't, that is not something that really matters to me. I paid a certain amount at a certain time for a certain configuration. I made the decision and that's fine, even if Tesla decides to change pricing or options later. It happens with all automakers.

It's the whole incompetence of the people you deal with at Tesla that is so annoying. No one knows what the other is doing. You get told stuff, promised sometimes even, then later someone else says the complete opposite and acts surprised when you get angry. You make appointments that are not honored. You get told opening times of stores or delivery centers only to arrive and find that you got the wrong information and the place is closed. You get told X will happen and Y happens. Three people call you about the same subject on the same day and every one of them tells you something different, sometimes the complete opposite to what the other one told you a couple of minutes earlier. And don't get me started about the MyTesla account. According to that I would still have to pay my final invoice (paid weeks ago) and that I would have to bring the documents of the car I want to trade in to the delivery tomorrow (I am not trading in a car at all by the way).

Seriously, Tesla cars might be better overall (currently) than the competition (or rather lack thereof), but the company as a whole, the people you deal with, and the whole experience from start to finish leaves so much so be desired that I am quite certain at the moment that my first Tesla will also be my last. Unless I am so positively blown away by the car from tomorrow onwards that I decide to change my mind.
Then again, I have my e-Golf to compare, and that has set the bar quite high in terms of my expectations.

Reactions: caskater47
Very happy for you but a bit self-serving if you think about it.

For those of us with a less than optimal experience (and I can tell you it was not because of 'timing' of purchase or expectations that the cost would fluctuate), it really does little to address concerns that plague Tesla Delivery and Service.
so. yeah - good for you so you can tell everyone you feel good about it.

As I said I'm happy for you but it does nothing to move the needle toward better care from the people at Tesla. and after all, don't we ALL want to brag about what AMAZING deal and service we got?

Yeah, but it really is a great car. The Service sucks, but the car really is great.

They need to do away with the "deliver it broken, fix it in service" mentality. The demand on their products must come with excruciating growing pains but it's no excuse.

I was no fanboy when I first got my car (read my historical posts and threads if you care to). But once I reflected on what they have done in 10 years and came to terms regarding their service department; that it could not be compared to their peers who have been in business for more than 100 years and learned from all the refinements and experience that comes with age, I could not deny it really is a great car and I, personally, would be hard pressed to drive anything else as a daily driver.

I look forward to what's to come.

Reactions: tcellsrus
Your note is refreshing as well as informative. We too agree wholeheartedly, in Mar ‘17 we ordered our 75D, and picked it up mid April on a rainy Wednesday afternoon. Happy campers but by Sundaythe price had gone down nearly $8500. Uups, did we make a mistake, not -we talked about this for a long time before we even took a test drive, then talked for another month before jumping. In the meantime we’d ourchased a big SUV, and drove theModel X as a comparison. We weren’t ready for that change and that model outpriced us. In the meantime we’ve driven, enjoyed and felt wonderful about our S purchase and loved our ICE SUV, then we had a big problem with our S. One call to emergency and a immediate pass thru to service and within an hour a remedy had been organized. We were 2 plus hours in heavy traffic from the service center AND the car was fully packed for a 9 month vacation, and it wasn’t driveable! What to do and how to do it. Some clever thinking and a mobile tech was sent to us with the replacement parts. Calls updating us with status from the time the tech left the service center to arrivial for the repair. Did we pay too much, maybe but the cost of emergency service without any delays, and putting us on the road in our scheduled time frame was priceless. Oh more, the tech called after he done the repair to let us know they were replacing identical parts on the other side of the S that weren’t damaged but as a good measure. Did we pay too much? Less than 2 hours of repair time and what would have been a flat bed transport to service, then into a service time line and a trip of some hours for us to pick up the car. Our purchase price was certainly feeling much better. Oh yes, while going thru the repairs with the mobile tech and a great explaination of the Model 3 and the features my mind started to work. A 3 day drive to start our vacation saw a lot of Super Chargers and a lot of owners. Fun! Our repaired car, at no out of pocket expense and a tad bit of inconvenience, a great few days on the road in our overpaid model S convinced us we’d gotten all of our monies worth. Lest I leave you wondering where I’m headed, on the last leg of our drive we received a sales call telling us the tax credit would be expiring at the end of the year and if we had serious thoughts about a model 3, if we ordered within a few days we could have delivery before the end of the year if not sooner. Uups, without a test drive no way! No problem for Tesla, a phone call from one sales team to another, a test drive in our destination city was set up. Wow, We jumped and ordered before the drive. Price point was perfect. Did the test and decided the P3 was more than I needed. Three days into the order I stepped down, saved a few dollars that weren’t required . Happy Buyers. 24 hours later prices were reduced uh oh. Not, we got notice that prices on outstanding orders would be adjusted down. Wow, next surprise, car was available in 2 1/2 weeks. Tesla, Elon and the teams did this the right way. Now we’ve added the FSD to both cars and are happy owners. Did we overpay maybe, are we sorry NO, we believe in the company, the cars and the teams. Sometimes we all spend more than someone else but we feel good and our experiences have been worth every dollar we’ve spent. Hope many others feel the same. Ebony (S) and Ivory (3) haven’t seen their delivery site since fall and are certainly enjoying their time together in the sun.

Reactions: Sandollars
I bought my mid-range M3 with Enhanced Autopilot in January 2019. I just missed the $7500 tax write off. (darn) I just upgraded to FSD for $2000 before the price went up. When I look at the current options available for a new purchase, I think I got a great deal. Now the mid-range is not available any more and in order to get the Premium Interior, you have to buy the Long Range model. There are things like streaming music and internet access that are important to me, so I am glad that I bought before the changes. I was glad to shell out the $2000 for the FSD because I want to stay on the leading edge of what Tesla is doing.

4. Sentry Mode.

How are you able to get 9 months of free supercharging versus 6 months.. because from what I heard if you didn't test drive a model 3 and took delivery of purchase you were offered 9 months of free supercharging, since you didn't test drive the vehicle in my scenario.. I was basically forced to drive the car even though I already knew everything on how it operated, so I'm thinking that I should be getting 9 months also....Where can you clarify that??

I've been telling people for a while Teslas are some of the only cars on the road that get BETTER with time and get more features for essentially no cost. For the vast majority of cars on the road, they are best the day they roll off the assembly line and only get more dated and less current with time. My 2 year old Toyota Land Cruiser even when new felt like it was about 10 years old tech wise (the platform is ancient - debuted in 2008 and is 99% the same through 2020), but as time goes on that will only get worse. The navigation which is hilariously outdated and bad costs like $200 to get updated at the dealership, so I have no idea why anyone would ever do that. Tesla offers a unique value proposition when it comes to keeping the cars modern and updated with little to no cost to the owners which is amazing from the consumer's perspective.

• Love
Reactions: radiocycle

-Not Hunter S. Thompson
You buy a ticket for $25 so you can be the first person to ride the ride on day 1 and brag about it to everyone.

Day 365 rolls around, the park isn't as busy so they lower prices to $22. Do you A: rage about the change and insist that prices should stay the same forever or B: say "cool, I had fun on the ride"?

Reactions: ilg and BozieBeMe2

4. Sentry Mode.

Have to agree here as well - NOT screwed by Tesla. Tesla certainly has had its share of problems. After all, it is the first automobile manufacturer to go public since Ford did so in 1956. So, start up issues, sure, I expected them. But, I have to say, after we received my wife's Model 3 in February, 2018, we have had nothing but joy from driving it and seeing it improve with each software update. We bought EAP and FSD. Are they functionally "there" yet? No, but we expected it would take time given the extreme difficulty of developing an algorithm that replaces the human brain, realtime, and makes FEWER mistakes, and passes regulatory muster, etc. This is a car of the future available today. My opinion is this: if you didn't expect there would be a few issues with a brand new high volume auto manufacturer, then you don't know much about the history of failures in this business. Tesla has succeeded beyond the imagination of virtually every member of the automotive press, but now they get to nitpick. Many negative things I see and read about Tesla in the "press" have a very limited view and not much background or knowledge about the subject - a lot of clickbait. Just my opinion...