Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

12,305 miles over 7 weeks - Road Trip

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Was laid off in April so decided to take a road trip while I had the time and the space and thought it might be of interest. I have a 2018 Tesla Model 3 and now after the trip it's about to cross 40k miles. I'm not a big participant on here but I did appreciate some of the threads on mattresses for the Tesla and settled on something similar to what was advised in the thread after testing out some of the more expensive beds designed for the tesla. Just a few tips and stats and then I'll drop in some of the pictures.

• I couldn't have been more impressed with the car. Not a single issue despite AC blasting sitting in traffic in 110degrees in AZ, snow and cold temps in Montana, 100s of miles of back gravel roads, etc It certainly has it's battle scars but it performed like a champ.
  • 12,305 miles and my loose estimate (some free charging at RV parks or friends, some electric used overnight while camping) I would say I averaged around 6 cents per mile of supercharging.
  • I used autopilot for probably around 70% of those miles maybe more
  • Camping was incredibly comfortable and I ended up with a 4" twin foam mattress topper that I'd roll out in the back. That was more comfortable then the hotel beds i slept in. Of course even when rolled up tight it took up about 1/3 of the trunk so that was the downside. Ran me about $80 on walmart.com. The others i tried that fit in the trunk compartment just weren't comfortable enough. AC overnight was absolutely clutch in AZ and Utah.
  • Supercharging was pretty easy to find. Only thing I'd say I sacrificed was maybe a couple of treks through the backroads in the mountains I might have taken on the long days as opposed to staying on the highway. In the remote areas when I was staying for a couple days there was always RV parks if there wasn't a supercharger which work great. I bought a special adapter but didn't end up using it. The standard charging adapter worked at every RV park.
  • Surprised also if I got stuck I could always find a free camp site to stay at mostly using freecampsites.net. I did knock out a night or two at bass pro shops when I was in an urban area and couldn't find a close enough camp site.

Overall incredible trip and I can't wait to do it with the Cybertruck with a little more room.

IMG_3266.jpg
IMG_2175.jpg
IMG_2177.jpg
IMG_2183.jpg
IMG_2491.jpg
IMG_2570.jpg
IMG_2628.jpg
IMG_2642.jpg

Reactions: KenC and sightman
Where's that last pic of lake at? Love it. 19" or 18"?

What's that chair?

That's up in Glacier National at the top of Avalanche Trail which was my favorite park although Zion was a close second. I hit like 20+ national and state parks throughout the journey. 18", at leas they were they came back so bald I think they're like 17" now :)

This is the chair. I love it, super small, and super comfortable. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00Y2A78T0/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

• Funny
Reactions: toolman335 and KenC
This is amazing. planning on doing the same thing with my gf.

may i ask where this is? https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/attachments/img_2570-jpg.578629/
That's Bonneville Salt Flats. Definitely check it out but be careful I passed a toyota 4runner buried up to it's wheel wells and the tow/ticket if you get stuck is not cheap! I hit a really dry spot to take mine out which probably still wasn't the best idea but it was a ton of fun! She got a quick bath after that. I'm going to try to edit the original post or if I can't add some additional details here in a minute on the route.

Luv this post but how about some additional details of the trip, maybe the map of your route?
I can't figure out how to edit the original post or even make a post a sticky at the top. If anyone knows let me know.

Here's a general idea of the route although I really played this one by ear day-day so it's not exactly as planned.
Josh's Journey on Roadtrippers

I did a lot more in Colorado then the route shows and ended up coming back through St Louis which isn't the prettiest city but has a really cool museum especially for kids as I had my boys with me on that section of the trip. Glacier National was definitely my favorite but Zion was pretty incredible as well and with COVID I was able to drive through and up to the narrows which I understand normally you have to take shuttles to. Yellowstone was way too packed for me. Here's a pretty complete list of all the parks I ended up hitting. If you consider doing this definitely get the National Park Pass. Saved me a ton of money.

• Great Smoky Mountains
  • Organ Mountains
  • Gila National Forest
  • Picacho Peak State Park
  • Mingus Mountain
  • Grand Canyon
  • Horseshoe Bend
  • Zion
  • Arches
  • Canyonlands
  • Bonneville Salt Flats
  • Glacier National
  • Yellowstone
  • Medicine Bow-Routt National Forest
  • Red Rocks
  • Boulder Reservoir
  • Rocky Mountains
  • Royal Gorge Bridge and Park
  • Gross Reservoir
  • Garden of the Gods
  • Black Canyon of the Gunnison National Park
  • Mt Rushmore
  • The Badlands

I am so totally jealous! I've had my M3 since June 2018, but, between spending 2019 caring for my wife through a series of health issues and COVID-19 in 2020, I've only driven the car 13,000 miles. I would really love to do a long trip in it!

That is an AWESOME trip!!! Really jealous that you camped it all. That's fantastic - and one heck of an itinerary!

We just got back Wednesday from a similar, but shorter, trip in our Model X. I wholeheartedly concur with you - the national parks pass is amazing! We have a simply incredible country to see, and I couldn't imagine any better time to do so.

My post about our journey here: #275

\
  • Camping was incredibly comfortable and I ended up with a 4" twin foam mattress topper that I'd roll out in the back. That was more comfortable then the hotel beds i slept in. Of course even when rolled up tight it took up about 1/3 of the trunk so that was the downside. Ran me about $80 on walmart.com. The others i tried that fit in the trunk compartment just weren't comfortable enough. AC overnight was absolutely clutch in AZ and Utah.

Overall incredible trip and I can't wait to do it with the Cybertruck with a little more room.

I was so hoping the Cybertruck would be a good vehicle for this, but I don't see that myself....

I want a vehicle that has the space all inside with a decent interior height. I am seriously considering an ICE vehicle for these kinds of trips. And unfortunately likely to buy one in the next year....:(

do you have a photo of your 3 in the sleeping position.

I slept one night in the Model S, but I did end up making a wood platform to make it flat.