Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

12 Amp Destination Charger

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Whao, $10 at a 12A 200V charger? How long are you planning to stay there and how expensive is electricity over there? In my town, night time rates is about $0.07/kWh so $10 will fill a S75D almost 2 times over. Even at more expensive day time rates of 13.5 cent/kwh, it should not cost more than a quarter or 2 per hour.

View attachment 277249
He's buying changers for customers, apparently he owns a business and is fine giving away free electricity. He's apparently appalled that someone else isn't willing to give away money though.

Well if your car needs a charge now, perhaps you should have stayed at the hotel that had a charger.

Yes I was at my rental property doing some maintenance work that did have a 120v 15A GFI outlet ( I had it installed before the days of EVs ) and was using that with the UMC , it would have taken 35hrs to recharge a 100D.
Not to worry I had a backup plan in place that I formulated before I got there.

The plan and how it unfolded:
1. Charge for 30 minutes at the Supercharger in DeFuniak Springs FL....done picked up 125mi
2. Plug the UMC in as soon as I got to the property near the Gulf....done was surprised it worked after all these years and hurricane flooding picked up 40mi
3. A newly constructed hotel had 2 HPWCs installed and visible from the local road.....not listed anywhere too new I guess, this is the hotel that needed a booking,and no I do not need their breakfasts if any. the local restaurants and McDonalds are open for breakfast.
4. Plugshare listed a local resident who offers .........turns out he desn't know how he got on the list, and no charging is not available wants me to take him off the list , I am not allowed to do that.
5. Tesla Destination and Plugshare (with pictures yay ) show HPWC in nearby town with free public access.....this I used, they were breakered to at least 80A as I recharged at 72A 244V, in addition they have a Clipper Creek breakered at 20A, yes I checked out the J1772 charging process using the Tesla adapter that came with the UMC.
6. Plugshare indicated free HPWCs further west.... I did not have to get to this level.

Just wanted to update this.

This is the Fairfield Inn near the Savannah airport. I spoke with the manager, and apparently they've had the electrician out a few times to check it and fix it and he's failed to correct the issue each time. She's been in contact with the property owner and is having another electrician come out and should hopefully have the issue fixed soonish.

For now, as long as I arrive above 60% SOC, I can usually get back to 90% by 8AM... If needed, I just stop at the Supercharger to get from below 60% to 60% as the car will charge from 3% to 65% in about 30-40 minutes.

• Informative
Reactions: brkaus
Whao, $10 at a 12A 200V charger? How long are you planning to stay there and how expensive is electricity over there? In my town, night time rates is about $0.07/kWh so $10 will fill a S75D almost 2 times over. Even at more expensive day time rates of 13.5 cent/kwh, it should not cost more than a quarter or 2 per hour.

View attachment 277249

In the 'grand scheme' of things $10 gets lost in the mud when the starting rent for a house is currently $1,324 per nite in the area
Visit the area website at (no fear as you will not be directed to my property)

www.rosemarybeach.com

'Giving away' $5-$10 worth of electricity and charging it to general operating expenses is a bargain in my accounting book, attracting customers even one by proving this 'service' by providing charging equipment is good for the books, maybe I learned that from god Elon.

There is no Hydro, Solar, Wind Farms or Nuclear nearby to generate power. I do not know for sure but I suspect fossil fuels are used to generate electricity probably natural gas these days. Fuel barges are visible from the bridges with moving from west to east along the intercoastal occasionally ramming into the bridge supports.
Yes I am familiar with the low rates in Canada as I used to live in Canada where I would run my Heat Pump during the Ottawa winters down as low as -10F outside temp the combination of a high COP of the York HP and low electricity rates made that possible.

I used to live Canada when Ontario Hydro produced electricity from Candu Nuclear Reactors at Pickering and Quebec Hydro sold excess electricity from the James Bay Hydroelectric project to New York sate for pennies.
The Western Canada oil producing provinces used to say "Let the Eastern Bastards freeze in the dark' but them were the good old days.

This is the Fairfield Inn near the Savannah airport. I spoke with the manager, and apparently they've had the electrician out a few times to check it and fix it and he's failed to correct the issue each time. She's been in contact with the property owner and is having another electrician come out and should hopefully have the issue fixed soonish.

For now, as long as I arrive above 60% SOC, I can usually get back to 90% by 8AM... If needed, I just stop at the Supercharger to get from below 60% to 60% as the car will charge from 3% to 65% in about 30-40 minutes.

Let them know the electrician needs to set the Amperage selection jumpers.

• Helpful
Reactions: Rocky_H
Perhaps you may want to install a NEMA14-50 outlet at your rental property.

Yes that was under consideration as that is what I did for myself here in Stone Mountain GA.

There in FL installing a NEMA on the rental property brings with it the concern for the guests kids safety when they are sent outside to play, they should be sent outside to the front park area where there is room green grass etc.

Anyway the Tesla HPWC and the Clipper Creek (J1772 connector) along with 2 cable management dispenser/pedestal are here and I did check the outdoor box where I found three unused breakers ( I guess the contractors installed them and were using them during the house construction) so there is capacity at the 'Cottage'

Let them know the electrician needs to set the Amperage selection jumpers.
The jumper setting info is on pages 20-21 of the installation manual - https://www.tesla.com/sites/default...l_connector_installation_manual_80A_en_US.pdf

• Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H and mongo
Yes I was at my rental property doing some maintenance work that did have a 120v 15A GFI outlet ( I had it installed before the days of EVs ) and was using that with the UMC , it would have taken 35hrs to recharge a 100D.
Not to worry I had a backup plan in place that I formulated before I got there.

Doesn't change the fact that you were upset that someone didn't give you something for free. Either stay at the springs super charger longer or spend the night at the hotel and use theirs.

Reactions: TexasEV
In the 'grand scheme' of things $10 gets lost in the mud when the starting rent for a house is currently $1,324 per nite in the area
Visit the area website at (no fear as you will not be directed to my property)

www.rosemarybeach.com

'Giving away' $5-$10 worth of electricity and charging it to general operating expenses is a bargain in my accounting book, attracting customers even one by proving this 'service' by providing charging equipment is good for the books, maybe I learned that from god Elon.
I think there is some confusion as several readers thought you were charging $10 for electricity instead of including it as an amenity.

Found this gem at my hotel in Savannah, GA tonight... thankfully there is a Supercharger about a mile away, so I was able to fill up the battery (and the tires)... Why even bother installing two destination chargers on a 12amp circuit?

Has anyone else run into dumb stuff like this?

I found a destination charger that was limited to ~12A IIRC. The breaker was right behind it and it was a 100A breaker so I took the initiative and fixed it. It was a PITA because you need a T20 security torx which was difficult to find. Apparently auto parts stores carry them.

I found a destination charger that was limited to ~12A IIRC. The breaker was right behind it and it was a 100A breaker so I took the initiative and fixed it. It was a PITA because you need a T20 security torx which was difficult to find. Apparently auto parts stores carry them.
We found out a couple weeks back that Home Depot carries them as well. :)

Reactions: nwdiver