Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

12 Battery Needs Service – Can you display the voltage?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
12 Battery Needs Service – Replace 12v Battery Soon

Just wondering if you can display the voltage?

I'm guessing you can't get a new battery from them to install yourself. I know they did not make it easy to replace but I think I could do it.

It only has 1263 miles on it. :(

I also need to do the parking break recall deal.

I did want to try for the uncork as well.

The closest service center is an hour away though. :(

Would one of those little jump starter box deals get the car going? I like the idea but feel like they will just not work after a year or so. Would like one that could use the cigarette lighter port.

https://www.amazon.com/BASAF-Starte...UTF8&qid=1513131197&sr=8-10&keywords=jump+box

Thoughts?

Last edited:
In almost every case on this forum of 12 V battery warning on a low mileage car, the issue had been more severe than a failing 12 V battery. It has been a failure with the high voltage battery being able to recharge the 12 V. Based on how new your car is, I recommend contacting the Service Center before assuming it's just a failing 12 V.

...Just wondering if you can display the voltage?...

If you know how to access CAN Bus, you can use TM-spy app to get lots of info including your 12V battery as shown by @garygid as "13.7V 17A" in the lower left:

screenshot_2016-02-21-09-29-24-png.112144

Or you can buy a Voltmeter that plugs in your car's cigarette lighter socket so you can monitor it.

715rgn0W35L._SL1500_.jpg

• Helpful
Reactions: TaoJones
If you know how to access CAN Bus, you can use TM-spy app to get lots of info including your 12V battery as shown by @garygid as "13.7V 17A" in the lower left:

screenshot_2016-02-21-09-29-24-png.112144

Or you can buy a Voltmeter that plugs in your car's cigarette lighter socket so you can monitor it.

715rgn0W35L._SL1500_.jpg

17.5 volts! That's a bit High. I just got something similar from Amazon with two day delivery and it said 13.8 volts before the new battery and 13.7 after, for whatever that's worth.

On a happier note the tech came out today and replaced the battery and also came out with the new parking brake calipers. They had said they were going to make me come in for an appointment to replace the calipers.

Man they have to take a lot of stuff off to get to the battery. Lots of chances for scrapes scratches snaps pops.

The tech did say that they had a bad run a batteries and that the new one was an improved version. We will see.