Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

12 hour, 712 mile road trip, should I do a month of FSD for $200??

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well, it's pretty much like the title says. I have a long road trip coming up in July for vacation. So it will be over 1400 miles and 24 hours of total driving round trip. I have no plans, as in not a snowballs chance in hell, of purchasing FSD, or even subscribing to it for any length of time. This will be one month only.

Thought I'd get some feedback about whether folks who have tried it think it might be worthwhile spending $200 to "check it out". Should be mostly interstate driving with what looks like 3 SC stops according to ABRP.

Will FSD exit from the freeway? Navigate all the way to a SC? Park at the SC? Depart from the SC? Sorry if these seem like stupid questions, but I have no idea what the capability is. At this point with Autopilot, it seems like all the car does is adaptive cruise control and holds the lane on the highway as long as it feels pressure on the wheel from your hands frequently.

I've barely used autopilot but have already had several cases of weird, although brief, phantom braking. Happened today, maybe from a bird overhead, possibly a shadow???

Anyways, wondering if there is a consensus on whether I will enjoy trying out Tesla's "best" tech, or will it suck and I'll be disappointed that I wasted $200.

Cool thing is, the trip will be completely free as I have free SC for 2 years, other than the $60,000 upfront cost! Ok, so maybe not free.

Well, it's pretty much like the title says. I have a long road trip coming up in July for vacation. So it will be over 1400 miles and 24 hours of total driving round trip. I have no plans, as in not a snowballs chance in hell, of purchasing FSD, or even subscribing to it for any length of time. This will be one month only.

Thought I'd get some feedback about whether folks who have tried it think it might be worthwhile spending $200 to "check it out". Should be mostly interstate driving with what looks like 3 SC stops according to ABRP.

Will FSD exit from the freeway? Navigate all the way to a SC? Park at the SC? Depart from the SC? Sorry if these seem like stupid questions, but I have no idea what the capability is. At this point with Autopilot, it seems like all the car does is adaptive cruise control and holds the lane on the highway as long as it feels pressure on the wheel from your hands frequently.

I've barely used autopilot but have already had several cases of weird, although brief, phantom braking. Happened today, maybe from a bird overhead, possibly a shadow???

Anyways, wondering if there is a consensus on whether I will enjoy trying out Tesla's "best" tech, or will it suck and I'll be disappointed that I wasted $200.

Cool thing is, the trip will be completely free as I have free SC for 2 years, other than the $60,000 upfront cost! Ok, so maybe not free.
There is a NHTSA recall in effect for Tesla FSD Beta, so it is not being rolled out to anyone at this time. Your subscription will get you EAP, which will allow you to auto change lanes on freeways, and switch interchanges automatically. Once you leave the freeway, you will have to drive manually, as you will not have FSD Beta (City Streets).

There is a NHTSA recall in effect for Tesla FSD Beta, so it is not being rolled out to anyone at this time. Your subscription will get you EAP, which will allow you to auto change lanes on freeways, and switch interchanges automatically. Once you leave the freeway, you will have to drive manually, as you will not have FSD Beta (City Streets).

FWIW this is not entirely correct.

He will get the public FSD product- which isn't under recall.

Which includes everything in EAP plus Traffic Light and Stop Sign Control

The trip isn't until July. Assuming FSD is available at that time.....?
Assuming the recall is resolved by July, then yes your subscription will give you access to FSD Beta, as previous to the recall all cars with HW2.5+ (and even some HW1s) in US and Canada that had purchased or subscribed to FSD were offered access to the Beta. There may be a lag from subscription to software install, so don't wait until the last minute to subscribe - give it a few weeks to get the software installed and comfortable with how it operates.

Assuming the recall is resolved by July, then yes your subscription will give you access to FSD Beta, as previous to the recall all cars with HW2.5+ (and even some HW1s) in US and Canada that had purchased or subscribed to FSD were offered access to the Beta.

Errr... HW1 cars only have a forward camera and a backup camera- they've never had any form of FSD available and they stopped making new HW1 cars in mid-late 2016.

HW2.x cars don't have access to FSD either (but do have access to EAP)

FSD requires HW3 currently. If you purchase FSD as a 2.x owner you get 3 for free. If you wish to instead just subscribe you would first officially need to pay for the HW upgrade- though some folks were able to get it free.

Errr... HW1 cars only have a forward camera and a backup camera- they've never had any form of FSD available and they stopped making new HW1 cars in mid-late 2016.

HW2.x cars don't have access to FSD either (but do have access to EAP)

FSD requires HW3 currently. If you purchase FSD as a 2.x owner you get 3 for free. If you wish to instead just subscribe you would first officially need to pay for the HW upgrade- though some folks were able to get it free.
Prob he meant some MCU1's....(w/HW3 as you stated)

• Informative
Reactions: APotatoGod
On the freeway there is no difference in operation between AP/EAP/FSD function other than auto lane change and Navigate on Autopilot which can do interchanges.

The TACC and Autosteer functions will operate the same as basic AP in case you were thinking it will operate better with FSD subscription.

I can't even think about doing a long trip without it anymore.

It will basically drive from address to address. It won't pull into a driveway or a Supercharger spot, it just pulls up to where the address resolves.
It gets on the Interstate and back off, It navigates surface streets to the destination.
It's not perfect, you have to watch it. It is extremely conservative, and I often override because I'm impatient.
It takes a little to get used to. It often reacts AFTER the human panics. It was going to do it though.

Just wasted $200 trying to subscribe to FSD for my wife's 2022 MS as a Valentine's Day gift.

Don't waste your money.

In our case, we never got FSD--something to do with the recall supposedly. But oddly, Tesla was more than willing to have us buy FSD via the app, and take our $200 for the month, for what appears to be next to nothing as FSD wasn't even available due to some "firmware issue" on our car. The new firmware never downloaded. Ever. Despite calls, emails, and chats on the website, visits to the local Gallery, etc.

I wasted HOURS trying to sort this nightmare out.

Tesla has a long history of taking our money for things . . . things that never show up. Having "purchased" FSD on around 3 or 4 MS's in past years, I guess the joke is on us (again).

Call me bitter that Tesla has such atrocious customer service policies and still keeps robbing us as well; it's just stunning how they continue to bend us over, and we keep taking it.

Reactions: 2101Guy
Are you sure you're not mixing up FSD-- which anyone can get by paying for it- and doesn't require a firmware update at all (all firmwares already have the wide release FSD code in it, so assuming you have the needed hardware Tesla just flips a switch to tell your cars config it paid for it and the menu option gets enabled... same as with acceleration boost)-- with fsdb, which does require a firmware update and is currently under NHTSA recall and can not be distributed to new customers though they're narrow testing the fix now (but also is not guaranteed as part of an FSD purchase and isn't listed on the purchase page for FSD either)?

Just wasted $200 trying to subscribe to FSD for my wife's 2022 MS as a Valentine's Day gift.

Don't waste your money.

In our case, we never got FSD--something to do with the recall supposedly. But oddly, Tesla was more than willing to have us buy FSD via the app, and take our $200 for the month, for what appears to be next to nothing as FSD wasn't even available due to some "firmware issue" on our car. The new firmware never downloaded. Ever. Despite calls, emails, and chats on the website, visits to the local Gallery, etc.

I wasted HOURS trying to sort this nightmare out.

Tesla has a long history of taking our money for things . . . things that never show up. Having "purchased" FSD on around 3 or 4 MS's in past years, I guess the joke is on us (again).

Call me bitter that Tesla has such atrocious customer service policies and still keeps robbing us as well; it's just stunning how they continue to bend us over, and we keep taking it.
Did you open up a service ticket?

Are you sure you're not mixing up FSD-- which anyone can get by paying for it- and doesn't require a firmware update at all (all firmwares already have the wide release FSD code in it, so assuming you have the needed hardware Tesla just flips a switch to tell your cars config it paid for it and the menu option gets enabled... same as with acceleration boost)-- with fsdb, which does require a firmware update and is currently under NHTSA recall and can not be distributed to new customers though they're narrow testing the fix now (but also is not guaranteed as part of an FSD purchase and isn't listed on the purchase page for FSD either)?
Sorry, but not what we were told by Tesla.

Our 2022 Model S LR (Palladium update), does NOT have the firmware required to run any sort of FSD. All we got for our $200 was Nav on Autopilot, self-abled lane changes.

No FSD Beta.

Never got the firmware, and we've already cancelled it for next month; $200 wasted.

Sorry, but not what we were told by Tesla.

Our 2022 Model S LR (Palladium update), does NOT have the firmware required to run any sort of FSD. All we got for our $200 was Nav on Autopilot, self-abled lane changes.

No FSD Beta.

Never got the firmware, and we've already cancelled it for next month; $200 wasted.

I certainly believe you were told that- Tesla service tells people the wrong thing all the time.

I'm just saying there's no such thing as "fsd firmware" if you're talking about regular FSD.

All release firmware has all the code in it for all paid features, and then the config/gateway file tells the car which things in the firmware the owner actually has and can be enabled in that firmware.

fsdb on the other hand- and maybe that's what the service guy thought you were talking about- does have different firmware required

Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
FWIW this is not entirely correct.

He will get the public FSD product- which isn't under recall.

Which includes everything in EAP plus Traffic Light and Stop Sign Control

I'm trying to make sense of all the different versions of Autopilot. Does this sum it up correctly?

1678297252491.png