Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

12 hour, 712 mile road trip, should I do a month of FSD for $200??

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I certainly believe you were told that- Tesla service tells people the wrong thing all the time.

I'm just saying there's no such thing as "fsd firmware" if you're talking about regular FSD.

All release firmware has all the code in it for all paid features, and then the config/gateway file tells the car which things in the firmware the owner actually has and can be enabled in that firmware.

fsdb on the other hand- and maybe that's what the service guy thought you were talking about- does have different firmware required
Not all cars are guaranteed to have the FSD software installed. All cars should have been offered it, but there always tend to be some that are stuck on old software.

...All we got for our $200 was Nav on Autopilot, self-abled lane changes...
Those are features of EAP, FSD, and FSD beta.

Your $200 did increase your Autopilot to more than 2 features of TACC and Autosteer within the same lane.

No FSD Beta.
Correct. As stated by others, FSD beta is another level that is being recalled and no other newly enrollees would get it until resolved.

FSD beta currently requires 2 more factors:
1) Request button by the owner.
2) FSD beta recall is resolved

Otherwise, as others have pointed out, FSD (without the word beta) does not need those 2 criteria above. FSD (without the word beta) only needs money.

I'm trying to make sense of all the different versions of Autopilot. Does this sum it up correctly?

View attachment 915383

Chart is accurate

There is no FSD at this point, only the FSD beta.

uh....no.

Regular FSD is still the actual thing you buy for $15,000 (or subscribe for $200).

FSDb is an optional thing you have to specifically request - and only available if you already own regular FSD AND are specifically in the US or Canada. And even then is currently suspended due to NHTSA recall (while regular FSD is still available). And even when you have it you can always turn it off and revert back to regular FSD.

If you can afford it I would recommend a 1 month subscription.
The value for your trip is really EAP/NOA with auto lane change and freeway exit/interchanges. Not having to disengage TACC to change lanes makes highway travel much more enjoyable.

I recently took a weekend trip from CT to TN and back. Talking with a coworker familiar with the area about the trip, he asked if I took Interstate X or Y. I replied that I had no idea which freeways I took, The car automatically handled all the freeway interchanges and exits, I didn't have to worry about changing to Freeway Y in 1 mile and what lane to get into, NOA handled all of that almost flawlessly (other than construction at one interchange that I had to manually do lane changes)

I also subscribed to premium connectivity for the trip and upgraded to Spotify premium. Pull up a good playlist and enjoy the trip!

While I have FSD Beta and enjoy it, I would not subscribe to FSD for a trip. FSD has quirks and takes a while to get used to and trust, which is best done close to home where user is comfortable with the roads.

Chart is accurate

uh....no.

Regular FSD is still the actual thing you buy for $15,000 (or subscribe for $200).

FSDb is an optional thing you have to specifically request - and only available if you already own regular FSD AND are specifically in the US or Canada. And even then is currently suspended due to NHTSA recall (while regular FSD is still available). And even when you have it you can always turn it off and revert back to regular FSD.
So "Autosteer on City Streets" gets removed when the beta is concluded?

I don’t think you’ll get enough value from EAP/FSD on a 24-hour trip to justify paying for a month. You already have TACC and Autosteer, and the only other thing you might miss on the highway is Auto Lane Change. Navigate on Autopilot doesn’t buy you much, and sometimes it’s more trouble than it’s worth.
Yes - unless someone wants to checkout FSD beta, its not worth the money.

So "Autosteer on City Streets" gets removed when the beta is concluded?

The question does not make any sense.

Autosteer on city streets is not a currently available feature in FSD at all.

Go check out the sales screen where you purchase FSD when ordering today. It still shows

Tesla website said:
Coming Soon
Autosteer on city streets

It's a future feature of FSD. Not available as part of the purchased package today.

People who have access to fsdb (that is- people who own or have subscribed to regular FSD AND are in the US or Canada AND who specifically take the extra step to request fsdb), can access the fsdb software that has autosteer on city streets. But that's an entirely separate, optional, thing. And not available to new people at all until the recall fix goes wide either. In contrast, regular FSD, being totally unaffected by the recall, remains for sale and available to everyone with the relevant hardware.

It is likely they will eventually merge the added functionality in the city streets/fsdb code into the "regular" FSD offering at some point-in order to fulfil the promise of "coming soon" for autosteer on city streets- but that point has not occurred yet. (and that promise has been out there since 2019... for the first 2 years it actually said "coming later this year" but they eventually realized it wasn't and changed it to just "soon" back in 2021... which is a liberal definition of soon :p)

So your original claim, which was

You said:
There is no FSD at this point, only the FSD beta.

Continues to be completely incorrect.

FSD remains exactly the same, available for purchase, product that it has for years now- and its feature set is correctly reflected in the chart from a few posts earlier.

Or you can just go here if you're still unclear what FSD does and does not promise for the money:

Last edited:
Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
Sorry, but not what we were told by Tesla.

Our 2022 Model S LR (Palladium update), does NOT have the firmware required to run any sort of FSD. All we got for our $200 was Nav on Autopilot, self-abled lane changes.

No FSD Beta.

Never got the firmware, and we've already cancelled it for next month; $200 wasted.
I’d file a chargeback with my card company so fast Elons head would spin

Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
I can't even think about doing a long trip without it anymore.

It will basically drive from address to address. It won't pull into a driveway or a Supercharger spot, it just pulls up to where the address resolves.
It gets on the Interstate and back off, It navigates surface streets to the destination.
It's not perfect, you have to watch it. It is extremely conservative, and I often override because I'm impatient.
It takes a little to get used to. It often reacts AFTER the human panics. It was going to do it though.
I'm in the exact same situation - we'll be taking wife's Y on a long road trip. I agree with above - I use FSD in my M3 on highway all the time and it is an absolute game changer. In addition to the above, the absolute killer feature is the ability to be in full TACC (or FSD or whatever), and you decide you don't want to wait for the car to figure out it should change lanes (it will in full FSD and it's good but I'm impatient too). Without FSD/EAP you must "break" TACC to change lanes, then reset it. With FSD, you simply partially engage the blinker in your desired direction, and the car then gracefully checks for obstacles, and obligingly moves into your desired lane -- while all this is elegantly displayed on the nav screen. No need to break or reset anything, and if you missed someone in a blind spot - the car picks it up displays the vehicle in red and waits until it's clear, then executes. (You didn't comment on whether you purchased EAP so I'm assuming you did not. In a 2023 M3 you will not have hardware concerns.)

The suite of features IMO dramatically reduces stress and fatigue that come with highway driving.

To see exactly what comes with the package, in the car bring up the menu (tap the car) then go to Upgrades and select the FSD option -- it lists in bullet form specifically what's included.

Of course, whether something is "worth" $200 ultimately is a subjective thing. Enjoy the tip!:cool:

• Helpful
Reactions: JB47394
I'm in the exact same situation - we'll be taking wife's Y on a long road trip. I agree with above - I use FSD in my M3 on highway all the time and it is an absolute game changer. In addition to the above, the absolute killer feature is the ability to be in full TACC (or FSD or whatever), and you decide you don't want to wait for the car to figure out it should change lanes (it will in full FSD and it's good but I'm impatient too). Without FSD/EAP you must "break" TACC to change lanes, then reset it. With FSD, you simply partially engage the blinker in your desired direction, and the car then gracefully checks for obstacles, and obligingly moves into your desired lane -- while all this is elegantly displayed on the nav screen. No need to break or reset anything, and if you missed someone in a blind spot - the car picks it up displays the vehicle in red and waits until it's clear, then executes. (You didn't comment on whether you purchased EAP so I'm assuming you did not. In a 2023 M3 you will not have hardware concerns.)

The suite of features IMO dramatically reduces stress and fatigue that come with highway driving.

To see exactly what comes with the package, in the car bring up the menu (tap the car) then go to Upgrades and select the FSD option -- it lists in bullet form specifically what's included.

Of course, whether something is "worth" $200 ultimately is a subjective thing. Enjoy the tip!:cool:
I did a 1500 mile round trip on 11.3.6 recently. Very pleased with few issues, mostly dealing with unexpected construction lane closures where the car does not proactively move away from the closing lane. But, far less stressful than driving by hand the whole way.

My spouse just got a model Y without FSD. If used on a long trip, I will definitely subscribe for the trip.

Following up on our experience with FSD leased for one month in our 2021 MY. Purchased from the nav screen in the car. Can't remember if the big "Opt in to FSD" (may have said beta??) button was before or after the the download started, but suffice to say even though the original screen which shows the list of stuff you get when you subscribe clearly said "navigate on city streets later this year" -- you couldn't miss the big toggle button and of course I pressed Yes on that. The resultant package that downloaded and installed with issue was literally indistinguishable from the FSD beta package that I run in my M3. Even on city streets -- full support for traffic lights, stop signs, and it would navigate to a destination with all the above in city streets and/or highway.

As mentioned, IMO on the highway it's a game changer - just makes it so much more easy to drive, and on the "moderate" setting for FSD, I found the autonomous lane changing to be really pretty spot on and only occasionally did I / she override. Wife absolutely loved it and we'll be doing a trip later this summer and will subscribe again. Not unique to this experience but in FSD beta in general, I really like that the car will now "cheat" to one side of a lane when appropriate, ie, someone is crowding the border of the lane or there some massive semi-truck right next to you. Previously it would stay geometrically centered in the lane. This improvement brings a much more natural experience.

One thing to note - both cars are in our app, but I was unable to cancel the subscription from either the car, or from her car on my iphone/app. Thought I was going nuts but then finally picked up her phone and went into the app and was simple to cancel from there using options that were not present on my phone/app.

Hope that helps others with the decision --- summer on!