Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

12 months in - M3 LR and 25k miles in

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ok, almost 12 months in and this is a general comment and question post. I’m sure there are many.

Almost everyone I know who knows I have a Tesla have been asking me about the recent price drops and if I’m worried and my simple answer is no, I’m still a smug git.

I commute into central London at least 8 times per month, I used to train or drive a freelander (still have it). And was spending easily £60+ per day. Now after 25k miles, a few minor mods (window/light tints, wheel covers, some interior bits and the power frunk) the car is as good as new. Yeah, I had a problem with the rear passenger window exploding but that could happen in any car.
I’ve been able to smoke any car (not a Tesla) I come across if I choose, can easily cover 250+ miles per charge (80-10) and far more when trying.
Having “saved” almost £2.5k in congestion/ulez fees and almost £6k in diesel, (includes the £1k max I’ve spent in electricity) let alone repair/service fees of putting on 25k miles on a freelander. (latest service is £700, which I’m skipping this year as I’ve only done 1000 miles over the last year). If I take off the home charger and installation I’ve still not given £7.5k to anyone else but Elon.
My only “mistake” is buying the EAP, but it does work and I can’t go back now. The current prices are a bit more than I paid last year and the interest rates on the Tesla loan are also a couple of % higher. I’ve looked in the service mode and the battery health is still at 100% and I’ve still got plenty of grip on the tyres (at least another 5k miles on them).

Basically I struggle to see a negative. Yeah used prices have gone down but they were always going to. I’ve had great fun, it eats the miles. My wife hated tit to begin with, but now loves it.
I plan my charging (to make best use of the overnight tariff) and only use a supercharger once every couple of months on really long runs.
I brought this car to own and yeah I think I’m just about breaking even in equity (I got quote from motorway today). But I wouldn’t sell/swap it because all I would do is get another one. I may look into in when the next version is out in a couple of years though. That being said the congestion zone exemption stops in 3 years but hopefully I’ll stop commuting into London as much by then.

It’s still the best car choice I’ve ever made taking everything into account.

Overall is the above on par to other people’s thoughts? Or does anyone have any major regrets,excluding those who got really stung by the recent price drops or who have had a total curve ball e.g. a major fault in their car out of the ordinary.

Last edited:
I'm also 12 months in on an M3 LR. Only covered 4k miles though.

Mostly short town journeys (why we went electric) and I can't charge at home so it's been a mix of Supercharger/local chargers/Tesco. I've worked out I've only saved about £300 in fuel but that's not why we went electric. I've zero interest in the whole Kw/mile etc. etc. as it's makes almost zero difference to me financially.

A new model is still £1k+ more than we paid for ours, and with a higher APR. I'd be about £80 a month more to buy the same car now even after the price reduction. Used prices tanking has probably helped me as I'm a nightmare with changing my cars (usually less than a year) so the fact I'm in negative equity will likely help me hold on to this one for another year.

The wipers and auto high beam are absolute shite. Worst I've ever had in any car. Same goes for adaptive cruise. I think full self drive, if it's even possible, is so far away the EAP or full self drive capability is an absolute waste of money.

I love the drivetrain, the fact I can defrost the car from inside the house, no need for a key, built in Spotify is great and I never thought I'd use a heated steering wheel but it's magic.

I miss the noise of my previous cars - flat 6, v8, 5 cylinder and I wish there was the option (note I say option) of some sort of active sound inside the cabin. BMW/Porsche do it and I think it would add to the experience when I would like a spirited drive. Long journeys or around town just turn it off.

I think the perfect M3 for me would be an M3P, give me the option of a carbon interior (not wood/white), combined with more sporty seats, and active suspension and sound. Basically a Taycan then :rolleyes: but you don't get one of them for £50k.

Not sure if I will ever go back to an ICE. I'm 50/50 on that tbh.

All round it is a great car, I've had zero issues with it and for our current use it's pretty much the perfect car.

Ok, almost 12 months in and this is a general comment and question post. I’m sure there are many.

Almost everyone I know who knows I have a Tesla have been asking me about the recent price drops and if I’m worried and my simple answer is no, I’m still a smug git.

I commute into central London at least 8 times per month, I used to train or drive a freelander (still have it). And was spending easily £60+ per day. Now after 25k miles, a few minor mods (window/light tints, wheel covers, some interior bits and the power frunk) the car is as good as new. Yeah, I had a problem with the rear passenger window exploding but that could happen in any car.
I’ve been able to smoke any car (not a Tesla) I come across if I choose, can easily cover 250+ miles per charge (80-10) and far more when trying.
Having “saved” almost £2.5k in congestion/ulez fees and almost £6k in diesel, (includes the £1k max I’ve spent in electricity) let alone repair/service fees of putting on 25k miles on a freelander. (latest service is £700, which I’m skipping this year as I’ve only done 1000 miles over the last year). If I take off the home charger and installation I’ve still not given £7.5k to anyone else but Elon.
My only “mistake” is buying the EAP, but it does work and I can’t go back now. The current prices are a bit more than I paid last year and the interest rates on the Tesla loan are also a couple of % higher. I’ve looked in the service mode and the battery health is still at 100% and I’ve still got plenty of grip on the tyres (at least another 5k miles on them).

Basically I struggle to see a negative. Yeah used prices have gone down but they were always going to. I’ve had great fun, it eats the miles. My wife hated tit to begin with, but now loves it.
I plan my charging (to make best use of the overnight tariff) and only use a supercharger once every couple of months on really long runs.
I brought this car to own and yeah I think I’m just about breaking even in equity (I got quote from motorway today). But I wouldn’t sell/swap it because all I would do is get another one. I may look into in when the next version is out in a couple of years though. That being said the congestion zone exemption stops in 3 years but hopefully I’ll stop commuting into London as much by then.

It’s still the best car choice I’ve ever made taking everything into account.

Overall is the above on par to other people’s thoughts? Or does anyone have any major regrets,excluding those who got really stung by the recent price drops or who have had a total curve ball e.g. a major fault in their car out of the ordinary.
I made similar amount of miles in a year...

do you have any rattles inside your car?!

After 18 months on my M3LR, I can honestly say it's been a dream. Admittedly, I don't do many miles now (6000 so far) but if I'd been high mileaging, I wouldn't have bought it. It's my retirement present to myself, and the sort of performance saloon I could only dream of, even 10 years ago. That thump in the back that forces your eyeballs to recede a few mm - never tire of it. Even bought AB! Dodgy AHB/auto wipers haven't worried me, I prefer to set those things myself. Obviously, those would be a bigger downside if I was on the road all day, but, thankfully, I'm not. Would I go back to ICE - never.

Reactions: fantasmagorica
9 months and 13k on my M3 LR. From Surrey it's done road trips to the top of Scotland (twice), Normandy, Devon, Leeds, Lakes

It's a beautifully smooth car, it munches miles effortlessly, and charging hasn't really been much of a hassle. For road trips, I've tried to pick places with EV chargers, and it makes quite a difference. To be fair, the car I bought before it was 15k (Suzuki Swift), so perhaps I might have a different feeling if I had come from a 50k e class or something.

Maintenance - nail through a tyre, twice. Needed to fill the windscreen washer fluid.

Paid for EAP as I plan to keep the car for a long while, and it made sense to buy it early. NAP is good on a clearish motorway, it can be a bit panicy on a tight motorway, aborting maneuvers if the car behind also decides to pull out, and jerking around a bit. The wife isn't a fan, but it did allow a 12 hour drive from oban to surrey in a day without having to tag-team the driving. It has been a little better of late.
Autopark isn't great, but it's an easy car to park
Summon I've never got to work
I don't regret it, but I don't think I could describe it as "good value".

do you have any rattles inside your car?!
Some infrequent boot/rear seat rattles but I very rarely notice them. Seatbelt pillars were rattling ever so slightly but got Tesla to sort out so I don’t notice those anymore.
Taking that I’ve driven the car without too much care (not rough handled) but not bubble wrapped. If I have it a good clean you wouldn’t know it wasn’t brand new even after a test drive.

Bought a new M3 LR Dec 2021 with white interior and 19 inch wheels to replace my Audi S3 (for which Tesla gave me only £1k less than I paid for it). Equivalent price today for M3 is about 3k more than I paid.

Always look forward to driving it. Gets me on 200 mile round trips easily even in winter with no charging. I charge at home on EdF GoElectric 35 so it costs around 1.2p mile for most trips. Saved around £2k compared with petrol in S3.

13800 miles so far. The only flaws are as described elsewhere; Auto wipers at night (they got worse with the last update in the day too but not too bad). Auto high beam is not great either when in dips with road signs and is slow to restore high beam.

A few service visits including cracked windscreen, defective tyre sensor, inspection after stone stuck between disk and backplate, headlight adjustment (which was subsequently awful, far too low and I had to DIY it at a friendly garage). Norwich Service Center has generally been good.

Probably the best car I have owned although the S3's have been close as the build quality is better. List for an S3 now is around £43 to £46k but you get all of the extras in the Tesla.

Reactions: fantasmagorica
I thought I would do too ... but the noise on long journeys was really really tiring ... and now I've got over it not being there I much prefer quiet
That's why I said the option of active sound, the ability to turn it off on long journeys.

There is no choice with the Tesla it's silence or silence. Personally I want mine on the odd occasion I choose to - sound like something from Star Wars :D inside the cabin so its not bugging anyone else externally and it enhances my driving experience.

That's why I said the option of active sound, the ability to turn it off on long journeys.

There is no choice with the Tesla it's silence or silence. Personally I want mine on the odd occasion I choose to - sound like something from Star Wars :D inside the cabin so its not bugging anyone else externally and it enhances my driving experience.
you can... play music...

Just picking up on some classic quotes here...

...if I’m worried and my simple answer is no, I’m still a smug git.

Yes, this 'smug git' label being thrown around. I never realised it became socially unacceptable to enjoy the fruits of one's investments...

I've since adopted the morse code SOS theory.

But the modern way, saying "Save Our Soles" repeatedly quickly, and you'll find the hidden message. It's now not about you, it's about them.

...Yeah, I had a problem with the rear passenger window exploding but that could happen in any car.

Erm... nope. Never happened to me in 55 years. Never seen it happen, or heard about it happening, except for your statement.

...My wife hated tit to begin with, but now loves it.

Random...

@PITA I wouldn’t be smug if so many people didn’t hate Teslas/Model 3 for no good reason.

Hadn’t happened to me either in 23 years of driving but turns out it’s a 1 in 10,000 failure no matter the car manufacturer.

Replace “tit” with “it” and “it” being the Tesla. Then it hopefully makes sense. :)

The wipers and auto high beam are absolute shite. Worst I've ever had in any car. Same goes for adaptive cruise. I think full self drive, if it's even possible, is so far away the EAP or full self drive capability is an absolute waste of money.

I love the drivetrain, the fact I can defrost the car from inside the house, no need for a key, built in Spotify is great and I never thought I'd use a heated steering wheel but it's magic.
Auto high beam is indeed very poor. I never use it. The fact that Autopilot now automatically puts auto high beam on means that I no longer use Autopilot at night, that really should be optional or separated from Autopilot. The wipers are annoying but the simple press on the stalk to activate a wipe means it doesn’t bother me too much. I get more annoyed when they wipe rapidly when there is no rain.

I agree with you overall though. Drivetrain and battery tech is fabulous. Not a Spotify user so the recent addition of Apple Music was great for this Apple centric household. And I also never understood the point of a heated steering wheel, but I do now!
The preconditioning, especially on days like today is one of its best indirect features. Getting to the car at 5:30am with -4c outside and the heating steering wheel, seat/cabin all toasty, windows clear, is almost priceless.

Agree with this. Preheating and defrosting the car on a cold winters morning while supping a coffee in the house is a delight I will never get tired of. I know other cars can do this but the ease of doing it via the app is great.