TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

#12 sensor failed

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by strava, Jul 26, 2018.

Tags:
  1. strava

strava Member

Just got the 2018.26.1 at SC and tried Summon for the first time. Every time I pressed Forward or Reverse, the car would start trying by making noise and turning on the lights. However, it stopped before making any move. I called the Service Center for this issue. The rep checked the log and found that #12 sensor failed. Is it one of those supersonic sensors on the front or rear bumper?

Two issues identified previously are potentially related to the failed sensor:
    • Auto Lane Change: It always reports that the Auto Lane Change isn't available. If the problem persists, please contact the Service Center.
    • Parking: When I pulls into my garage, the concrete garage wall in front of the car is shown as a car instead of the distance lines.
    I recently installed front clear bra and full-body opti-coat on my car. But the PPF has the cutouts for all the front-bump sensors. Besides, I experienced the Auto Lane Change and Parking issues before the installation. Anyone has similar experience?

2. Fudd

Fudd Member

So is this a sensor in the bumper, or elsewhere (e.g. close to where a camera is located)?

3. strava

strava Member

I'm pretty sure that it's one of those small circle sensors on the bumpers. They're sometimes called proximity sensors and mostly used in parking (Summon included) and blind spot monitoring (Auto Lane Change included).

4. mekberg

mekberg Member

This is in line with what I'm seeing (no auto lane change or auto park).

The parking sensor to the left of center in the rear bumper is inop. Mobile service is coming out to replace tomorrow.

• Informative x 1
  5. chronopc

chronopc Active Member

Did you see any notification that a senor wasn't working or did you only find out because the Tesla rep checked their log?

6. mekberg

mekberg Member

In my case there are zero warnings/notifications.

No parking sensor "lines" while approaching something on the front or side. Warning chimes do not function at all. I only knew something was up because I have two co-workers with Model 3s.

7. chronopc

chronopc Active Member

That's troubling. I feel like they need to have a notification alert you if any of the sensors are not functioning since so many of the car's systems rely on the sensors.

• Like x 1
  8. strava

strava Member

Thank you for sharing this. I believe that Sensor #12 is one of those in the rear bumper. We got the same issue then. Please share how the mobile service works.

9. strava

strava Member

No alert either. The system should run diagnostics on all sensors and report faulty ones when the car is started.

10. mekberg

mekberg Member

Will do. I've pulled the cover to install a hitch for a bike rack. It's not terrible. Checked all sensors to confirm proper connection while I was at it.

11. mekberg

mekberg Member

Update - mobile service finished in 30-45 minutes. Everything is working correctly now: auto lane change, auto park, summon, chimes.

• Like x 2
  12. strava

strava Member

Awesome! Thank you for the update, @mekberg. Did they replace the sensor? Or is it just a calibration issue? I want to make sure that they won't mess up the ceramic coating added to the rear bumper.

13. mekberg

mekberg Member

Replaced one sensor and the sub-harness attached to the inside of the bumper cover. Last visit the tech noticed it was pinched in one area.

14. UkrHog

UkrHog Member

You are lucky they took care of it so quickly!
    One of my front bumper sensors got hit by something, almost dead center and I can no longer summon the car, auto park, automatic lane change or get chimes/distances when getting close to objects. This happened April 20th, I am now scheduled for the 2nd time this coming Monday to have the sensor replaced by a Tesla certified body shop. Tesla service would not handle it because the damage was cause by external forces! First scheduled appointment was a month ago (it took 2 months to receive the wrong sensor, that did not fit. Very disappointing!). I am hoping all goes well on Monday and over 3 months later my car will have all of its functionality back :)

Attached Files:

15. mekberg

mekberg Member

Ish.

The issue had existed since I picked up the car on June 1st.

This was the 3rd visit.

First visit he could not get his VPN to work on his laptop to do a log diag. Ran out of time and had to leave.
    Second visit he fixed my inop glovebox light (wasn't plugged in on the non-LED end) and diagnosed the sensor.

Pointed out my inop accent light in my driver's side housing. New housing ordered so we'll have a fourth visit at some point.

16. mekberg

mekberg Member

I discussed this with the tech today. He says on the Model S there is a user-facing warning that certain features are disabled due to an error. He had just replaced a parking sensor on that car.

17. SteveTack

SteveTack Member

Be glad your car didn't say this:

"Just a moment... Just a moment... I've just picked up a fault in sensor number 12. It's going to go 100% failure within 72 hours."

I mean, it might not let you back in after that.

• Funny x 2
  18. strava

strava Member

It seems to be a manufacturing defect. I called Tesla Service and requested the mobile service. Originally I was getting it fixed during a SC visit scheduled for more than two weeks later. But since this is safety related, I wanted it done asap.

19. strava

strava Member

How much are they charging you for fixing/replacing the sensor? Hope that everything goes well Monday.

20. UkrHog

UkrHog Member

Thanks! its quoted to be between 250-300. I am really hoping that they will comp the repair since the ball has been dropped multiple times during this process! I will update tomorrow. Thanks again!