Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

#12 sensor failed

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just got the 2018.26.1 at SC and tried Summon for the first time. Every time I pressed Forward or Reverse, the car would start trying by making noise and turning on the lights. However, it stopped before making any move. I called the Service Center for this issue. The rep checked the log and found that #12 sensor failed. Is it one of those supersonic sensors on the front or rear bumper?

Two issues identified previously are potentially related to the failed sensor:
  • Auto Lane Change: It always reports that the Auto Lane Change isn't available. If the problem persists, please contact the Service Center.
  • Parking: When I pulls into my garage, the concrete garage wall in front of the car is shown as a car instead of the distance lines.
I recently installed front clear bra and full-body opti-coat on my car. But the PPF has the cutouts for all the front-bump sensors. Besides, I experienced the Auto Lane Change and Parking issues before the installation. Anyone has similar experience?

I'm pretty sure that it's one of those small circle sensors on the bumpers. They're sometimes called proximity sensors and mostly used in parking (Summon included) and blind spot monitoring (Auto Lane Change included).

Just got the 2018.26.1 at SC and tried Summon for the first time. Every time I pressed Forward or Reverse, the car would start trying by making noise and turning on the lights. However, it stopped before making any move. I called the Service Center for this issue. The rep checked the log and found that #12 sensor failed. Is it one of those supersonic sensors on the front or rear bumper?

Two issues identified previously are potentially related to the failed sensor:
  • Auto Lane Change: It always reports that the Auto Lane Change isn't available. If the problem persists, please contact the Service Center.
  • Parking: When I pulls into my garage, the concrete garage wall in front of the car is shown as a car instead of the distance lines.
I recently installed front clear bra and full-body opti-coat on my car. But the PPF has the cutouts for all the front-bump sensors. Besides, I experienced the Auto Lane Change and Parking issues before the installation. Anyone has similar experience?
Did you see any notification that a senor wasn't working or did you only find out because the Tesla rep checked their log?

In my case there are zero warnings/notifications.

No parking sensor "lines" while approaching something on the front or side. Warning chimes do not function at all. I only knew something was up because I have two co-workers with Model 3s.
That's troubling. I feel like they need to have a notification alert you if any of the sensors are not functioning since so many of the car's systems rely on the sensors.

Reactions: Lasairfion
This is in line with what I'm seeing (no auto lane change or auto park).

The parking sensor to the left of center in the rear bumper is inop. Mobile service is coming out to replace tomorrow.
Thank you for sharing this. I believe that Sensor #12 is one of those in the rear bumper. We got the same issue then. Please share how the mobile service works.

Replaced one sensor and the sub-harness attached to the inside of the bumper cover. Last visit the tech noticed it was pinched in one area.
You are lucky they took care of it so quickly!
One of my front bumper sensors got hit by something, almost dead center and I can no longer summon the car, auto park, automatic lane change or get chimes/distances when getting close to objects. This happened April 20th, I am now scheduled for the 2nd time this coming Monday to have the sensor replaced by a Tesla certified body shop. Tesla service would not handle it because the damage was cause by external forces! First scheduled appointment was a month ago (it took 2 months to receive the wrong sensor, that did not fit. Very disappointing!). I am hoping all goes well on Monday and over 3 months later my car will have all of its functionality back :)

Attachments

• 7573058C-E7D4-45DE-A166-08FFF12B88BA.jpeg
    7573058C-E7D4-45DE-A166-08FFF12B88BA.jpeg
    220.2 KB · Views: 84
Ish.

The issue had existed since I picked up the car on June 1st.

This was the 3rd visit.

First visit he could not get his VPN to work on his laptop to do a log diag. Ran out of time and had to leave.
Second visit he fixed my inop glovebox light (wasn't plugged in on the non-LED end) and diagnosed the sensor.

Pointed out my inop accent light in my driver's side housing. New housing ordered so we'll have a fourth visit at some point.

Replaced one sensor and the sub-harness attached to the inside of the bumper cover. Last visit the tech noticed it was pinched in one area.
It seems to be a manufacturing defect. I called Tesla Service and requested the mobile service. Originally I was getting it fixed during a SC visit scheduled for more than two weeks later. But since this is safety related, I wanted it done asap.

You are lucky they took care of it so quickly!
One of my front bumper sensors got hit by something, almost dead center and I can no longer summon the car, auto park, automatic lane change or get chimes/distances when getting close to objects. This happened April 20th, I am now scheduled for the 2nd time this coming Monday to have the sensor replaced by a Tesla certified body shop. Tesla service would not handle it because the damage was cause by external forces! First scheduled appointment was a month ago (it took 2 months to receive the wrong sensor, that did not fit. Very disappointing!). I am hoping all goes well on Monday and over 3 months later my car will have all of its functionality back :)
How much are they charging you for fixing/replacing the sensor? Hope that everything goes well Monday.