Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

12 simple software updates Tesla could make to improve interface. How many do you want?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
At least with the audio, if you touch (without the need for surgical precision) the place where the album art would be (or is in streaming modes - I am 99.9% USB audio), it brings up the audio controller to half-screen (from mini player) then another tap to full screen and finally another tap to mini player.
I just realized you can drag to expand the audio app by dragging the album art section... you don't have to drag at the bar at the top. Sweet.

I don't even know what that is. What is that?
I leave the mini player up on the screen (still leaves plenty of visual for the map but lets you see what track is playing). You USED to be able to tap where the cover art should be and it would bring the viewer to about half screen (with more info available), tap again and it brought up full screen, and finally tap again to go back to mini. This went away when I got the 2021.12.25.6 update (and the .7 update didn't fix it).

How about reducing the size of the left screen for odometer, AP roads, the car etc and provide more of the screen for actual navigation, music etc.

I came from a model S and one thing I didn’t quite absorb is that while the fundamental diff on screen size 17” to 15” isnt much, the actual functional map, music, car settings screens etc are literally half! The odometer screen fills 1/3 to 40% of the 15” screen which in my opinion is a colossal waste.

Has anyone noticed this? The new MS LR coming out now makes this even more noticeable with the entire 17” horizontal screen avail.

is Tesla working on any updates to allow for the APilot/FSD portion of the screen to either ‘disappear’ (except the actual speed) or is this something they would never do?

Reactions: bo3bdar
Screen real estate and the annoyingly large area the toy car is taking up on the left has been discussed ever since the IU updates in January. It's mind boggling how little influence actual buyers of this expensive product have when it comes to idiotic screen and UI layout and the total lack of responsiveness by Tesla's management.

Reactions: Destiny1701
Screen real estate and the annoyingly large area the toy car is taking up on the left has been discussed ever since the IU updates in January. It's mind boggling how little influence actual buyers of this expensive product have when it comes to idiotic screen and UI layout and the total lack of responsiveness by Tesla's management.
I was hoping we would see the customizable layout update like Elon eluded to so we could reduce the side panel. After the introduction of the Model S UI, I'm assuming they are avoiding any additional M3/MY UI tweaks until a more robust overhaul that matches the MS UI.

Mini-rant The USB-C connector port was a stupid change! 1st. 2 ports in the glove compartment would be better. Dashcam + USB-Music. Seeing as it's in this compartment. It sticks out and looks incredibly weak vs a "normal" USB connector (see photo below).

Found a great solution to the "weak" USB-C connector for USB-stick music.
A ebay seller "snakewang2005" sells a USB-C female to USB-C male 90 degree up/down connector. I fitted this in the "90 degree down" position.

I use these:

It solves the USB device sticking straight out and converting USB-C to USB-A (the latter being the older USB spec, for all those legacy thumb drives and/or lightning cables you probably have lying around).

I just leave the adapter connected, and I remove my USB(A) stick to bring it inside to change music. Having a short cable makes it super easy to plug the drive back in as well.

Reactions: RNHurt
I'd simply enjoy a means of changing font sizes, being able to drag/drop items, or choosing between a simple, modern, or "all the info that's fit to give" view! In addition- I really WANT SiriusXM. Elon, I'm sorry - but streaming satellite radio using my phone's data plan simply does not work in many parts of the desert SW.
YES PLEASE. WE ARE "MATURE" OWNERS OF 2 TESLA'S, M3 AND MY. WOULD TRUELY LOVE TO BE ABLE TO ADUST OR INCREASE FONT SIZES.

- Being able to say hey tesla for voice commands. That would, IMHO mean a lot of wasted clock cycles. What's wrong with touching the scroll button? Your hands ARE on the wheel, aren't they?
- Gate or garage door via wifi not homelink - Or maybe just the same programmable remote that has been in cars for ages?
- View camera's via wifi I think that is in the last update? I can't tell, it only works in the app on IPhones
- Don't turn of the car wen the driver leaves the car and someone is still sitting in the passenger seat. Simple - just enable dog mode. Like a chom, it woiks!
- Enable both overheat protection and Sentry mode That appears to be available in my 2020 Model 3s
- Sentry mode in different settings like with blinking or without. Seems logical
- Sentry mode schedule so it will be only running at night time. Seems logical
My comments in RED above...

My idea is, in a dual motor Tesla, to have a software update that allows you to turn off the front motor. So while you are being pushed by the rear motor, the front motor is in regeneration mode.
You should be able to travel forever 😉