Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

12 simple software updates Tesla could make to improve interface. How many do you want?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
App improvements (overall I/everyone love the app - but think a few things could be added):
- Add horn "chirp". The car does a horn "chirp" on locking. Why is only the "blast" tone on the app? Let's have more choice!
- "Auto vent" windows at safe (home) locations above say 35C interior
- Stop "window vent" if it starts raining / night-time, ie. don't vent 6pm - 10am (car has rain sensing, people might forget, if it's raining it's usually not sunny)
- Vent window choice (eg. just driver side). My car parks against a hedge and I don't want to display "all" my windows are open.
- Vent "bit / lot " - I'd also like to be able to have a 2 inch vs 9 inch type gap.
- Change charge AMPS from the phone. I charge off solar on a granny cable. House has 7kw panels but solar can vary between 1 and 5kw depending on conditions. When it's sunny I want to be able to set AMPS to 10 (2.4kW "granny" charging). When it goes cloudy (or I just want to divert more to house battery / hot water) I want to lower it to 5-10. Currently I have to enter the car to change it. Why is this not on the app?

Car interface:
- "Stats for geeks" - Youtube offers this. Could be a cut-down interface of the "OSB" full features (see Bjorn Nyland youtube vids for the 200+ things this displays). eg. Front/rear stator temperature. Battery temp. Interior temp. Pump flow rates. Max power. Max regen... etc... I imagine they wouldn't want all of the settings as it might lead to too many "dumb" service calls. "Why is my nominal % not 72kwh".
- "Miles + %" at same time option. Why not Tesla?
- Interior temperature. This is ONLY on the app. Why can't we display it in somewhere?
- Right-hand-drive models have some "close" X symbol on the wrong (passenger side) vs Left-hand-drive cars where some are on the driver-side. Please fix!!!
- Make AC + temp an option for the right-hand-scroll wheel please. In the UK we have lots of clouds/sun so want to adjust temp without trying to work a touch-screen!
- Way to keep music playing when car door is closed. I do like the way the volume reduces when the door is open. But when working on the car on the drive I wanted to play music - but couldn't!
- The USB music player can't read Japanese text / file names (no global ASCII)? I have Joe Hisaishi Ghibli soundtracks and some songs display as "????????"

Mini-rant The USB-C connector port was a stupid change! 1st. 2 ports in the glove compartment would be better. Dashcam + USB-Music. Seeing as it's in this compartment. It sticks out and looks incredibly weak vs a "normal" USB connector (see photo below). Most phones come with a USB-C end on the phone and a USB "normal" end on the charge end - so why on Earth did you change it to this small plug Tesla! I now have a USB memory stick that looks like it's going to snap whenever I put anything in that drawer. Tesla it should be nearer each edge.
Oh - and I don't have/want a wireless phone! Can I not have a hole in the bottom middle of the phone cradle to thread a USB cable through please!
Siri / Android-auto please!

Attachments

• weak-usb.jpg
    weak-usb.jpg
    205.7 KB · Views: 239
Last edited:
Here's a simple one ... show the temp in color: blue = air is on, red = heat is on, saturation of the color = intensity of the heat/air
This will allow one to judge the energy drain vs the cabin environment.
Yeah. Could work. Blue for AC. Red for heating. Currently it's just black for on, grey for off.
They really need to instruct you that you can hold and slide the temp left right to drag the temp quickly up/down.

I doubt myself they could do rain-sensing when car is "asleep" on a driveway. But it could close the vents based on a simple clock to close at night. Nothing stopping the app/car doing any of the other things.
I really don't like the idea someone will drop a water bottle in that compartment or something heavy and snap goes my USB stick. If the connector snapped off in the car it would be a costly service centre repair. A "music" playing USB stick is something you'll rarely remove so that's why I wish there was a 2nd one in the glove compartment! I am impressed it read the 5000+ songs on the USB stick in only 10 seconds!

Some good ideas there OP. The thread reminds me of what we used to write out and list in 2017 and 2018... back when Tesla was at least semi-listening and has a few ways to be reached where your feedback wouldnt get lost in the beurocratic mess of today.

Back then software updates introduced some QoL and practical features at least 2-4 times per year. Not anymore. Now its all either beta FSD, cryptic bug fixes ans improvements (mostly as a result of breaking changes introduced along the way) and change for sake of change GUI tweaks (see meh v10, meh v11).

The likelihood of phone app and in car useful feature introduction at this point, especially across the fleet, are slim. Maybe with the next model car they produce or a proper Models X S E/3 replacement.

Some good ideas there OP. The thread reminds me of what we used to write out and list in 2017 and 2018... back when Tesla was at least semi-listening and has a few ways to be reached where your feedback wouldnt get lost in the beurocratic mess of today.

Back then software updates introduced some QoL and practical features at least 2-4 times per year. Not anymore. Now its all either beta FSD, cryptic bug fixes ans improvements (mostly as a result of breaking changes introduced along the way) and change for sake of change GUI tweaks (see meh v10, meh v11).

The likelihood of phone app and in car useful feature introduction at this point, especially across the fleet, are slim. Maybe with the next model car they produce or a proper Models X S E/3 replacement.
QoL? That's sad if these kind of minor improvements can't make their way in even as a low priority. Think a lot of people would find at least some useful. Having their car chirp rather than blast horn in a underground carpark would be useful I think! The close vents at night too. Yeah, I know "Joe mode" was added and various other things in the past. This was just things I was noting on my phone after a month of ownership :)

I'd simply enjoy a means of changing font sizes, being able to drag/drop items, or choosing between a simple, modern, or "all the info that's fit to give" view! In addition- I really WANT SiriusXM. Elon, I'm sorry - but streaming satellite radio using my phone's data plan simply does not work in many parts of the desert SW.

Found a great solution to the "weak" USB-C connector for USB-stick music.
A ebay seller "snakewang2005" sells a USB-C female to USB-C male 90 degree up/down connector. I fitted this in the "90 degree down" position. I thought I'd have to prop it to stop it bending - but actually the USB stick rests perfectly against the carpet!!! So anything dropped on it shouldn't snap the USB stick as it's now braced against the USB connection and the carpet!!!
The item is called "Right Angle 90 Degree USB 3.1 Type C Male to Female USB C Converter Adapter" and costs £2.69 from snakewang2005
Compare the below photo to my original where the "weak" USB-C connected stick stuck out really far and looked vulnerable to anything catching it (hands, mask strings, keys, phones, cables, etc).

Attachments

• usb_90degrees.jpg
    usb_90degrees.jpg
    268.4 KB · Views: 162
Waypoints..... and additional streaming video and audio channels....

Would love Sirius to be added in the audio portion.... As for video - Disney+ / Vudu....

But as things look currently - Updates have just about stopped..... Very little in the way of anything is making it's way out to cars recently..

We are still getting branched updates to the week 4 release.... We are currently in week 17...

Reactions: googlepeakoil
- Make AC + temp an option for the right-hand-scroll wheel please. In the UK we have lots of clouds/sun so want to adjust temp without trying to work a touch-screen!
Absolutely not. Not going to happen either. No more complexities to the few available controls. Especially the right side scroll wheel - it's already locked into car performance behavior - people will be trying to lower the temperature and the car keeps slowing down - I hope not!

App improvements (overall I/everyone love the app - but think a few things could be added):
- Add horn "chirp". The car does a horn "chirp" on locking. Why is only the "blast" tone on the app? Let's have more choice!
- Stop "window vent" if it starts raining / night-time, ie. don't vent 6pm - 10am (car has rain sensing, people might forget, if it's raining it's usually not sunny)
- Vent window choice (eg. just driver side). My car parks against a hedge and I don't want to display "all" my windows are open.
- Vent "bit / lot " - I'd also like to be able to have a 2 inch vs 9 inch type gap.
- Change charge AMPS from the phone. I charge off solar on a granny cable. House has 7kw panels but solar can vary between 1 and 5kw depending on conditions. When it's sunny I want to be able to set AMPS to 10 (2.4kW "granny" charging). When it goes cloudy (or I just want to divert more to house battery / hot water) I want to lower it to 5-10. Currently I have to enter the car to change it. Why is this not on the app?

Car interface:
- "Stats for geeks" - Youtube offers this. Could be a cut-down interface of the "OSB" full features (see Bjorn Nyland youtube vids for the 200+ things this displays). eg. Front/rear stator temperature. Battery temp. Interior temp. Pump flow rates. Max power. Max regen... etc... I imagine they wouldn't want all of the settings as it might lead to too many "dumb" service calls. "Why is my nominal % not 72kwh".
- Interior temperature. This is ONLY on the app. Why can't we display it in somewhere?
- Right-hand-drive models have some "close" X symbol on the wrong (passenger side) vs Left-hand-drive cars where some are on the driver-side. Please fix!!!
- Way to keep music playing when car door is closed. I do like the way the volume reduces when the door is open. But when working on the car on the drive I wanted to play music - but couldn't!
- The USB music player can't read Japanese text / file names (no global ASCII)? I have Joe Hisaishi Ghibli soundtracks and some songs display as "????????"

Mini-rant The USB-C connector port was a stupid change! 1st. 2 ports in the glove compartment would be better. Dashcam + USB-Music. Seeing as it's in this compartment. It sticks out and looks incredibly weak vs a "normal" USB connector (see photo below). Most phones come with a USB-C end on the phone and a USB "normal" end on the charge end - so why on Earth did you change it to this small plug Tesla! I now have a USB memory stick that looks like it's going to snap whenever I put anything in that drawer. Tesla it should be nearer each edge.
Oh - and I don't have/want a wireless phone! Can I not have a hole in the bottom middle of the phone cradle to thread a USB cable through please!
Some of these "improvements" have already been added by 3rd-party developers, like horn "chirp".

As for Auto vent, I haven't checked my 3rd party apps, but I have a feeling you might be able to do that via Shortcuts or IFTTT. If not, you can always send your list to the Stats developer. He might like to add some of those to his app.

Your "Stats for geeks", there's a ton of data in the AutoMate app.
Some of your adjustments could be done via voice.
Music, leave the window open?

Here's a screenshot of some of the data in the AutoMate app:
IMG_5307.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: googlepeakoil
Absolutely not. Not going to happen either. No more complexities to the few available controls. Especially the right side scroll wheel - it's already locked into car performance behavior - people will be trying to lower the temperature and the car keeps slowing down - I hope not!
Yeah, having done more motorway / highway driving on ap I see it's used a lot for the speed setting.

Some of these "improvements" have already been added by 3rd-party developers, like horn "chirp".

As for Auto vent, I haven't checked my 3rd party apps, but I have a feeling you might be able to do that via Shortcuts or IFTTT. If not, you can always send your list to the Stats developer. He might like to add some of those to his app.

Your "Stats for geeks", there's a ton of data in the AutoMate app.
Some of your adjustments could be done via voice.
Music, leave the window open?

Here's a screenshot of some of the data in the AutoMate app:
View attachment 657481
Is that one of the better ones? i've heard that some will cause extra phantom drain.

Not only that, but its even faster to say "set temp to XX" to change the temperature than it is to fiddle with a physical control. I use that voice command all the time ("set temp to XX". It works every time.

Reactions: kayak1

Car interface:

My number one request is adding Waypoints to the Navigation, like Google Map or A Better Route Planner, and other EV manufacturers providing it:

1) Very often, the Navigation selects a route that I don't want to use, such as:
- always choosing to use freeway while street might be shorter,
- making a left turn when there is no traffic light while another intersection would have a separate left lane with a traffic light,
- selecting a shorter route through a residential area with a lot of stop signs while a using a major avenue would be faster, ....

2) If I need to make a detour on a given itinerary, I cannot including this detour and I need to select first the detour as destination.
Then after reaching the detour location, I can select the final destination, which is a bummer because I cannot determine in advance
if I will have to use a Supercharger before reaching my final destination.

3) A similar complain would be in the case of a day trip with various stops, I would not be able to determine if I would need to use a Super charger.

However, Elon Musk mentioned providing this feature 'soon' !!!

- Being able to say hey tesla for voice commands.
- Gate or garage door via wifi not homelink
- View camera's via wifi
- Don't turn of the car wen the driver leaves the car and someone is still sitting in the passenger seat.
- Enable both overheat protection and Sentry mode
- Sentry mode in different settings like with blinking or without.
- Sentry mode schedule so it will be only running at night time.

Is that one of the better ones? i've heard that some will cause extra phantom drain.
Better? It's hard to say. It's cheap! 99c a year. And it has a good Watch app. But, the developer took 4 months off this year, when the app didn't work, so that was a downer. But it is an interesting app with some data and features that other apps don't have. Doesn't seem all that popular though. As for phantom drain, I dunno. My drain seems fairly normal. 0.1mi/hr in Summer and 0.2 to 0.4mi/hr in Winter. And, I have numerous apps on my phone/watch, EV Watch, Watch for Tesla, AutoMate, Stats. Some people say multiple 3rd-party apps is the problem with drain, but I've got lots and no issues that I can see.

Probably the most useful are Watch for Tesla and Stats, but I like AutoMate as well.