TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

12 speakers, where are they?

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by olanmills, May 13, 2013.

1. olanmills

olanmills Member

If you get the upgraded sound system, there are 12 speakers (standard has 7). Where are they?

I see two on the A-pillars, four on the doors, and two at the very back on the lift gate. That's eight. Assuming there's a subwoofer somewhere, that's nine. I didn't count the grill that you see on the ceiling near the rear view mirror, as I just think that's the mic for voice commands and phone calls, but I'm not sure.

I thought maybe there were some speakers under the grill where the defroster vents are, but it doesn't look that way in the pictures I've seen of the defroster fix/refit that some people got.

What am I missing?

2. Zextraterrestrial

I think there are front and rear center channels and a front sub but could be wrong?

3. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

Information from last September in this post:

4. Francis Lau

Francis Lau P-1456

When I had the front defroster vents retrofitted, I saw there were at least 2 speakers under the wire mesh where the new vents are.

5. LuckyLuke

LuckyLuke Model S P85DL

6. joshuaeven

joshuaeven Member

I do not have the Studio Sound package, but it looks like I DO have speakers in the lift-gate. I have not crawled back there to see if there are actually working speakers inside the enclosure. Anyone checked?

7. ken830

ken830 Model S (Res#P12,447)

Are you sure? The speaker bar "grill" cover is there for sure, but there's no sound coming out of the lift-gate area on mine...

8. joshuaeven

joshuaeven Member

I just noticed the 'grill' cover, too. I haven't tried too hard to see if there were speakers back there.

9. scottf200

scottf200 Active Member

#9 scottf200, May 14, 2013
    Last edited: May 14, 2013
  10. olanmills

olanmills Member

It's better than that. The icon links directly to the post quoted.

Anyways, thanks for the info guys. So the graphic indicates that at least two of the "missing" speakers are under the grill at the bottom of the windshield, and that there is also a center channel speaker that might be under that grill, or else it's that thing on the ceiling by the rearview mirror. I'll have to listen and see if I can hear music coming out of that.

11. spatterso911

spatterso911 MSP#7577 **--** MX#1891

No speaker in the grill by rear view mirror. Only microphones x 2. On the sound studio package, the grill along base of windshield has 3 speakers, 2 at corners, and in in center of grill - center channel.