TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

12" Sub Added

Discussion in 'Model S: User Interface' started by Jau24, Jul 3, 2014.

1. Jau24

Jau24 Member

Decided to add a sub to my MS. Had the standard sound, but really wanted to add to the bass. Like another forum member, went with Ernie @ SoundInnovations in Union City. REAL pro….familiar with Tesla and only 5 star reviews on Yelp. Added an Alpine amp (which he hid in the Trunk since I also have the Tesla Frunk bag) and a 12" JL. Adjustable sub nob in the cubbie underneath the main screen. Didn't think I needed the adjustable nob, but sure glad he put it in. A world of difference…..Pics for your enjoyment…..

Attached Files:

2. Tacket

Tacket Member

I WANT!

3. gg_got_a_tesla

gg_got_a_tesla Model S: VIN P65513, Model 3 Res Holder

Interesting! The only thing lacking with the standard sound as far as I'm concerned is indeed a little more bass.

Can you share the price and the time this took? Thanks!

4. JohnnyMac

JohnnyMac Member

Yes, please share more details around price, duration, complexity, etc. Thanks!

5. Jau24

Jau24 Member

Took about 3 days. No complexities outside of deciding what components, brand, and price range. As with most electronics, the price varies on the specs of the equipment you want. Ernie did a great job pricing out a number of different options and explaining the differences between them. Like some of the other systems and upgrades on these forums, you can probably start around$1500 and grow from there....

6. zwede

zwede 2013 P85+

Nice install! Looks like he even managed to match the Tesla carpet.

7. yobigd20

yobigd20 Well-Known Member

#7 yobigd20, Jul 4, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 4, 2014
    What is is this made out of?

ge2ynysu.jpg

I can't tell because then this pic looks like partial fiberglass and MDF board?

reta8a2e.jpg

3a6ery7a.jpg

So what is that one pic that shows a white colored box - is that a template mold or something? How was it done?

8. Jau24

Jau24 Member

Yes….the box is made of fiberglass. Not sure exactly how he created the mold, but he's done it for several MS's already and had it ready to go. Seriously impressed with the work.

9. 3pod

3pod Member

NICE! I had Ernie do my M3 a couple of years back and loved his work. Was just daydreaming about adding a sub to MS with standard sound as well yesterday so I might just have to give Ernie a call! What's your review of the overall sound stage? I want to go simple just like you but worried that sub will over power the rest of the components.

10. ACDriveMotor

ACDriveMotor Member

How much did it cost? Wondering how the value/cost compares to the TM HF.

11. Jau24

Jau24 Member

@3Pod- the sub I chose came with an adjustable nob, which makes it easy to adjust depending on the music you're listening to. The amp I chose also powers the speakers...so everything is more powered.

@AC- not trying to be vague, but it depends on what you want and the quality of the components. Could be lower, the same, or much more than Tesla's package. I've sat in cars with the hf sound I'm really happy that I chose to go aftermarket.

12. jcaspar

jcaspar Member

Does anyone know how they get the sound output to the amp? Is it just thru speaker level outputs or can they get it at the preamp level? I would like to do this but am not sure how to get the signal to the amp short of a crossover from the speaker level outputs.
    Thanks

13. jcaspar

jcaspar Member

Nevermind. Found this great tutorial on TeslaTap. Now to get to work!

14. FrederikC

FrederikC Teslafied.eu

anyone have pictures of taking power from the 12v battery, to power the amp?
    Where to connect?