Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

12 V battery question - by a newbie

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all. This forum is great for information - and here is my first questions since receiving the car on Saturday. I am going to drive our other car until it is sold most of the time. Saturday night I charged the S and have not driven it since. Having read on the forum about the 12 volt battery discharging, and since my car if fully charged, do I need to plug it in at night? Would this help keep the 12 volt battery fully charged?

Also, how do I turn off all the stuff on the inside so it only wakes up when I get into the car, or is this recommended? I read somewhere about a "sleep" mode, but does this mean that the items still stay on and draw power?

Thanks in advance for any input.

Tesla suggests plugging in whenever not in use.
12V should be fine since it appears they've got the kinks worked out with the firmware.
No sleep mode since 4.1 .... due for a return in the future. Although I had no issues with sleep mode, others did.

At this point, enjoy the new ride. Dont know how you could avoid driving it over the old ride! WILL POWER!

Also, how do I turn off all the stuff on the inside so it only wakes up when I get into the car, or is this recommended?

Hi Roger,

Steve addressed most of your questions. With regard to turning off accesories, radio, climate control, etc., there is nothing you need to do other than get out of the car. As Steve points out if you have the most current software, there is no sleep mode so the car will draw a bit of power. Later Tesla will release a software update that will restore the option to turn on sleep mode.

Larry