Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

12 V Battery to be replaced for 2nd time. ADVICE please.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have an 11/20/15 P90D. I have 38,200 total miles on the car. I had my 12 volt battery changed by Tesla (warrantee) after about 3 years, approximately 11/18. I just got a message that my 12 V battery needs to be serviced soon and the car won't get updates now.

I DID purchase the extended 4 year warrantee in 11/19 so I think it should be covered. I watched the service man take the battery out in 2019. Looks pretty easy though. The "extended" warrantee has a $200 deductible.

I assume it is covered so I guess I should just let them do it again. It seems 3 years is not a great lifespan for a battery.

Any other thoughts anyone has??

Thanks and Happy Holidays to all.

The 12 Volt battery is specifically excluded in the extended Service Agreement Terms and Conditions under:

• Other Parts not covered:
o Bright metal, sheet metal, bumpers, ornamentation moldings, carpet, upholstery, paint, shock absorbers, 12V battery, battery cables....

They may cover it for you, but it is not part of the Agreement. Check yours. It may have different language.

Reactions: ucmndd
It seems 3 years is not a great lifespan for a battery.
3 years is extremely average for 12V car batteries, whether for gas or electric cars. That's not bad at all.
My car is almost 8 years old now. I got my second 12V battery replacement right around the 7 year point, so I was getting about 3.5 years each. That's pretty good. And I've also never had one suddenly die without warning. I always got a message in the car, scheduled service, and a service ranger came and replaced it.

Reactions: outdoors
Tesla is now installing 12v lithium batteries in new production cars. Ask for a lithium replacement. If they won't do it, get an aftermarket lithium battery and install it yourself. A lithium 12v battery should last about 3 times longer than a lead acid battery.

Tesla is now installing 12v lithium batteries in new production cars. Ask for a lithium replacement. If they won't do it, get an aftermarket lithium battery and install it yourself. A lithium 12v battery should last about 3 times longer than a lead acid battery.
There’s no reason to ask Tesla to install a lithium battery in an old S/X that they obviously don’t offer one for and have no intention of offering one for.

Batteries don't like heat (or cold). I used to change out the battery on my old ICE every ~2.5 years due to it failing; typically, under a manufacturer prorated warranty. (Local shop performed all the electrical checks to insure it wasn't something else.) Three years is not unusual in SoCal.

Reactions: Rocky_H
Just replaced mine last night in the Fresno service center parking lot. They required the core for the $165+tax price. I brought the tools just in case. It's a 5 minute job. The last time was 3 years ago in the parking lot of the Fremont service center.

Although I hadn't gotten the needs-service message yet, I did a CCA test a few weeks ago and it was only pulling 180 so it was getting pretty close. Maybe I could have gotten another 6 months, but I don't want to be stranded on a longer trip this winter of which several are planned.

My SC430 current battery is 8 years old and it still pulls 90% of the new CCAs speced on the label. But I keep it plugged into a tender hanging from the ceiling when it isn't being driven. Under those conditions, a good quality lead acid battery can last more than a decade. The problem with our older model S's is that the battery is cycled continuously at least 50% SOC range 6 times a day.

When the MCU2 came out, it was able to take advantage of the standby inverter that is on 24/7 and doesn't require cooling so it is very low power. It is basically a battery and MCU tender that runs directly off the main battery. When I did the MCU2 upgrade, they configured it incorrectly resulting in my inverter staying on 24/7 topping off the battery. This resulted in the cooling pump running 24/7 but at the lowest rate so you couldn't really hear it or the inverter.

As such, in those cars, the 12 volt battery doesn't cycle any more. In fact, there's NO advantage to putting in a lithium ion battery over a regular lead acid battery since they will both be kept topped off and full. In fact, the only reason the 12 volt battery is there at all in MCU2 cars with more recent main batteries is to run the MCU/BCM/BMS and other ECUs in case the main traction battery is completely dead otherwise you'd no longer the 12v battery at all.

Last edited:
Reactions: outdoors
The PNW is kind to batteries due to no major extended extreme heat or cold. I’ve never had to replace one after only 3-4yrs in any of my cars. My P85D gave the warning a few months ago, after 6.5yrs of service. Gladly paid the Ranger $165 + paltry install labor.

Reactions: Rocky_H