Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

12 Volt Air Compressor suggestions please.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
From my experience I have had slow leaks more often than a flat. For safe precaution in a no spare car I think it would be prudent to at least have an 12 volt air compressor. I have read that some have blow the digital fuse that Tesla uses and then you have to wait for it to reset.

I would like to use the 12 Volt socket in the cubby for power. Looking for air compressors that have not caused issues with the Tesla Fuse.

Thanks

I have the slime kit (smart spare or something similar is the product name) that has a compressor in all my cars. It includes the compressor and slime to fix small leaks until a proper repair can be done. I was concerned it could not fill the tires to 42 but it did without any problem. It should be less than 50 at your local store . A good compressor alone should be around 30.

I saw that but had a friend that had issue with the slime when he used it. It did work in fixing flat but the slime accumulated on one of the inner foams and caused a huge imbalance of the wheel.
I heard the same from some people here. You can buy the compressor alone I think. I have only used the slime once long time ago. It gave me like a week before it started leaking again. Eventually,I just went to the tire shop and repaired properly.

From my experience I have had slow leaks more often than a flat. For safe precaution in a no spare car I think it would be prudent to at least have an 12 volt air compressor. I have read that some have blow the digital fuse that Tesla uses and then you have to wait for it to reset.

I would like to use the 12 Volt socket in the cubby for power. Looking for air compressors that have not caused issues with the Tesla Fuse.

Thanks

I think most 12V air compressors will work but you can just buy the one Tesla sells if you are worried. I bought the Tesla one because it's in a Tesla container.... I know it's sad.

And yes, you can just use it to pump the tires, no need to use the slime part.

Tire Repair Kit

Thanks

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B081YWRQC3?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title

Here is the one I purchased. It works great. I have used it several times without blowing any fuses. It uses the 12V socket in the car. You set the desired pressure and it shuts off automatically.

All of these are excellent choices. I'm a little lazy and want some flexibility.
For less than $20, I bought this. Ryobi hand held. It stays in the car. Then about every two weeks, when I have the trunk open (and I remember to), I swap a charged battery for the one in the car. It's not even plugged into the inflator, just easy to reach. When I am home, I just open the trunk. Already had several of the batteries.

Not happy with purchase. I got one of the recommended models: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B...sin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1&tag=tmc064-20
Looks and feels a little cheap when you unbox it but the price was cheap also. It is compact and even came with a little bag for storage however the nozzle is HORRIBLE!

It is a screw on nozzle and it provides a secure fit but after tire is inflated you end up losing air pressure because it takes to long to unscrew it. Prefer the snap on and snap of caps which has minimal loss of air pressure when you're done with inflation. The other problem is the digital pressure reader is not very accurate. Seems to measure higher than what it actually is.

I use a Rhino heavy duty tire pressure gauge to check it and it is substantially lower than what the EPAuto 12V pump indicated.
I measure the PSI before and after using the pump and it has a reading that is 5 to 7 psi difference. I also compared it to the Tesla read out
which is fairly close to the Rhino tire gauge.

Anyway gave this pump away to the neighbor teen for his bike and basketball. Back in the hunt fir an Air Compressor that won't blow the Tesla fuse. This time more specifics with a better nozzle.

Not happy with purchase. I got one of the recommended models: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B...sin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1&tag=tmc064-20
Looks and feels a little cheap when you unbox it but the price was cheap also. It is compact and even came with a little bag for storage however the nozzle is HORRIBLE!

It is a screw on nozzle and it provides a secure fit but after tire is inflated you end up losing air pressure because it takes to long to unscrew it. Prefer the snap on and snap of caps which has minimal loss of air pressure when you're done with inflation. The other problem is the digital pressure reader is not very accurate. Seems to measure higher than what it actually is.

I use a Rhino heavy duty tire pressure gauge to check it and it is substantially lower than what the EPAuto 12V pump indicated.
I measure the PSI before and after using the pump and it has a reading that is 5 to 7 psi difference. I also compared it to the Tesla read out
which is fairly close to the Rhino tire gauge.

Anyway gave this pump away to the neighbor teen for his bike and basketball. Back in the hunt fir an Air Compressor that won't blow the Tesla fuse. This time more specifics with a better nozzle.
Most of the cheap ones are just that... cheap. I have several and they mostly work.
If you want a good one, you'll have to spend more than $100.

Don't mind spending the money, that is not the issue at all. Trying to find one that is known not to blow the Model 3 fuse when used and I do prefer the digital readout with auto stop. After getting that one I defiantly do not want another cheap one.

Don't mind spending the money, that is not the issue at all. Trying to find one that is known not to blow the Model 3 fuse when used and I do prefer the digital readout with auto stop. After getting that one I defiantly do not want another cheap one.
I bought this one (an earlier model) a few years ago. Digital readout, auto stop, doesn't blow the Tesla fuse.
It's cheap but it works.
https://smile.amazon.com/Slime-4005...B074XHFN6Y/dp/B074XHFN6Y/ref=dp_ob_title_auto

Thanks, but that has the same type of screw on head that was horrible like my last one and done with cheap.
Looking for high end quality 12v pump now.

I think most of these portable air compressors have that sort of screw on head. It looks like you can buy and adapter to convert:

https://www.amazon.com/LUMITECO-Inf...s=inflator+hose+adapter&qid=1610835035&sr=8-2

Another example:
https://www.amazon.com/Slime-20332-...s=inflator+hose+adapter&qid=1610835035&sr=8-4

The DeWALT compressor I linked to in my earlier post doesn’t blow the Model 3 fuse and has a digital readout with auto stop. It does have the screw on head, but if you use an adapter, might fit your needs.

I think most 12V air compressors will work but you can just buy the one Tesla sells if you are worried. I bought the Tesla one because it's in a Tesla container.... I know it's sad.

And yes, you can just use it to pump the tires, no need to use the slime part.

Tire Repair Kit
So sad :(. But I did the same :). I bought it for all the same reasons; guaranteed no fuse issue, comes with the slime and Tesla can't complain if you need tire serviced and it's gummed up, and comes in a nice neat package.