Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

12 Volt alert, with brand new battery. Can't report in app.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a 2019 SR+, just over 50k miles.

Knowing that the 12V battery tends to increasing die after 3 years, often in very inconvenient circumstances, I took my car to the Dedham, MA SC yesterday (Friday 15 July). They replaced it.

After I left, I found that my phone app was still showing 'In Service'. I can't use the app to contact Tesla. This apparently happens when the technicians fail to advance the ticket's status when they're done.

Today, my wife drove 200 miles in the car. When she got back, I noticed that an alert was showing: "VCFRONT_a182: Schedule Service to replace low voltage battery"

Its the weekend. When I call Tesla, they tell me use the app to schedule a service call. But I can't use the app, and it seems impossible to contact a human.

This is a brand new 12V battery, installed by Tesla. Is my car safe to drive? Is it likely to strand me?

After 3 years, this was my first experience with Tesla 'Service', and its incredibly frustrating.

This is a brand new 12V battery, installed by Tesla.
Hopefully, it's just another bad battery. Otherwise, there might be something else that causes good batteries to go bad.
Is my car safe to drive? Is it likely to strand me?
There's a chance that it may need a tow.
After 3 years, this was my first experience with Tesla 'Service', and its incredibly frustrating.
Yes, but there's hope just like (FSD). Elon Musk tweeted in June "working on Tesla North American service".

I have a 2019 SR+, just over 50k miles.

Knowing that the 12V battery tends to increasing die after 3 years, often in very inconvenient circumstances, I took my car to the Dedham, MA SC yesterday (Friday 15 July). They replaced it.

After I left, I found that my phone app was still showing 'In Service'. I can't use the app to contact Tesla. This apparently happens when the technicians fail to advance the ticket's status when they're done.

Today, my wife drove 200 miles in the car. When she got back, I noticed that an alert was showing: "VCFRONT_a182: Schedule Service to replace low voltage battery"

Its the weekend. When I call Tesla, they tell me use the app to schedule a service call. But I can't use the app, and it seems impossible to contact a human.

This is a brand new 12V battery, installed by Tesla. Is my car safe to drive? Is it likely to strand me?

How far are you from a Tesla Service Center. Drive in and have them address your issue.

I drove back down to the SC on the Sunday I posted that. Only sales were taking place, no service.

However, one of the sales guys was able to close the ticket, which made the app usable again. I was able to book a mobile visit two weeks out, but I wanted it fixed ASAP.

On Monday AM I was there at 8:15 AM. They took the car in almost immediately, and performed
some kind of software reset on the battery; they did not replace it again. No problems since.

So, the problems were an initial bad installation, which was compounded by the poor design of
the app; I couldn't use it to communicate with Tesla or schedule another appointment while it thought the car was still 'in service', and there was no way to get a human on the phone to fix it.

This is the biggest mistake Tesla has done, removing phone numbers to actually take to someone at a Service Center. Using the App only is ridiculous when most Service Centers are hours away and you have a question about where they need to keep your car overnight or not.

But Elon has been saying for over a year they were going to fix the Service Center issues and yet nothing has gotten better.

Reactions: drdumont
This is the biggest mistake Tesla has done, removing phone numbers to actually take to someone at a Service Center. Using the App only is ridiculous when most Service Centers are hours away and you have a question about where they need to keep your car overnight or not.

But Elon has been saying for over a year they were going to fix the Service Center issues and yet nothing has gotten better.
We are pretty lucky, we have (2) Tesla Service Centers within a 20 minute drive from our home. On occasion, we have just popped in there for a minor need and have always been taken care of.

Walking through the phone tree at the number Google listed for the Dedham Service Center, I reached the SC, but at the weekend, all it would do is tell me to use the app to set up an appointment. It didn't occur to me to try Sales. If I had, I might have saved myself the Sunday trip.

Still, the extent that Tesla tries to avoid actual human-human contact is infuriating. ....and they're hardly the only offender.

Another problem on Monday was an apparent failure of the phone system: The SC phone tree would not recognize touchtones, which made it impossible to use.