Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

12 Volt Always On for Small Freezer

SkiTrak

Jul 10, 2016
Denver, Colorado
I got a 12 volt portable freezer for when I go to Cosco and won't get home for a while. It is fused for 15 amps. I can use the 12 volt cigarette lighter plug but it powers down when the car is off. I am looking for a place to tap 12 volts that is not switched. I noticed the power seats are fused at 30 amps and I was thinking since you rarely move the seat that would be a good source of power. Anyone have any thoughts on this.

I was also thinking of putting the car in camping mode, would that leave the power on the 12 volt cigarette lighter plug?

I know some people use the power lift gate but I am concerned if you open the lift gate while the compressor is running you might blow the fuse.

BerTX

Supporting Member
May 2, 2014
Texas/Washington
Leaving the car in camper mode will not keep the 12v plug active.

What year is your vehicle? Older MS's can be modified fairly simply to keep the plug powered, but not since about 2016.

Sorry, I don't know about where it can be tapped. I got power from the OBDII plug, but that was just for electronics, not a heavy load. I don't know how big the fuse/wiring is for that.

• Helpful
Reactions: scottf200

doghousePVD

My grandfather’s car
Dec 3, 2018
New England, USA
My solution is a large Yeti cooler. Stuff keeps frozen for days. Way better than a cheap mass market cooler.

My experience with little camper refrigerators has been generally poor. BTW, they are horribly inefficient.

JzCastle

Aug 22, 2017
Helsinki, Finland
Get a "OBD-2 cigarette lighter/car DC power connector".
OBD-port has power always available. I have had my dashcam connected to it for almost two years with no problems.

scottf200

Feb 3, 2013
Chicagoland ModelX S603
I got a 12 volt portable freezer for when I go to Cosco and won't get home for a while. It is fused for 15 amps. I can use the 12 volt cigarette lighter plug but it powers down when the car is off. I am looking for a place to tap 12 volts that is not switched. I noticed the power seats are fused at 30 amps and I was thinking since you rarely move the seat that would be a good source of power. Anyone have any thoughts on this.

I was also thinking of putting the car in camping mode, would that leave the power on the 12 volt cigarette lighter plug?

I know some people use the power lift gate but I am concerned if you open the lift gate while the compressor is running you might blow the fuse.

I keep my 12v fridge on in my X just by having Sentry Mode on. This is a side effect of SM.

• Informative
Reactions: BerTX

BerTX

Supporting Member
May 2, 2014
Texas/Washington
Get a "OBD-2 cigarette lighter/car DC power connector".
OBD-port has power always available. I have had my dashcam connected to it for almost two years with no problems.
Certainly a possibility, but there is a BIG difference between running a dashcam drawing a few hundred milliamps and a 15 amp freezer.

• Informative
Reactions: scottf200

Kurtbe

Turning a 2017 S into a 3*** Hotel
Jun 19, 2019
Ghent/Belgium
I 've been looking at a solution, but found nothing better than changing the ODB2 fuse to 10 Amps (my fridge - custom built- is 9 Amps). Other than that, one could go through the firewall and draw current straight from the 12V battery.

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC