Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

12 Volt Always On for Small Freezer

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I got a 12 volt portable freezer for when I go to Cosco and won't get home for a while. It is fused for 15 amps. I can use the 12 volt cigarette lighter plug but it powers down when the car is off. I am looking for a place to tap 12 volts that is not switched. I noticed the power seats are fused at 30 amps and I was thinking since you rarely move the seat that would be a good source of power. Anyone have any thoughts on this.

I was also thinking of putting the car in camping mode, would that leave the power on the 12 volt cigarette lighter plug?

I know some people use the power lift gate but I am concerned if you open the lift gate while the compressor is running you might blow the fuse.

Leaving the car in camper mode will not keep the 12v plug active.

What year is your vehicle? Older MS's can be modified fairly simply to keep the plug powered, but not since about 2016.

Sorry, I don't know about where it can be tapped. I got power from the OBDII plug, but that was just for electronics, not a heavy load. I don't know how big the fuse/wiring is for that.

• Helpful
Reactions: scottf200
I got a 12 volt portable freezer for when I go to Cosco and won't get home for a while. It is fused for 15 amps. I can use the 12 volt cigarette lighter plug but it powers down when the car is off. I am looking for a place to tap 12 volts that is not switched. I noticed the power seats are fused at 30 amps and I was thinking since you rarely move the seat that would be a good source of power. Anyone have any thoughts on this.

I was also thinking of putting the car in camping mode, would that leave the power on the 12 volt cigarette lighter plug?

I know some people use the power lift gate but I am concerned if you open the lift gate while the compressor is running you might blow the fuse.

I keep my 12v fridge on in my X just by having Sentry Mode on. This is a side effect of SM.

• Informative
Reactions: BerTX
I 've been looking at a solution, but found nothing better than changing the ODB2 fuse to 10 Amps (my fridge - custom built- is 9 Amps). Other than that, one could go through the firewall and draw current straight from the 12V battery.