Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

12 Volt battery died yesterday

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Your car is dead. I assume you call Road Service to tow your car on June 3?

It's a new 12V Lithium battery for 2022 Model 3 and Y so it might take time to get the leftover after their new car assembly line needs. (Older ones were lead-acid batteries).

Since you didn't say the problem was the 12V battery but it was not charged by the main battery, getting another battery without fixing the cause will end up with the same result of dead new battery again.

In a gasoline car, the alternator is responsible to charge the 12V and if there's a problem with it, changing to a new battery won't help until that alternator is fixed.

That sounds very reasonable to me because it's under the new car warranty.
The service dept says they will come to my house, which is nice, but it's a long wait while not being able to drive my car. I don't know if the problem is the 12 volt battery or the part that charges it. Researching online, I couldn't find any way to determine this. Sure a new battery might just go dead again, but it should last until 6/3 when the repair is scheduled.

Update: I visited the nearest Tesla service center to me in Costa Mesa today. The rep confirmed that it is a battery that they are waiting for. Hard to believe that it would take a week & a half for a car company to scrounge up a new battery. After I complained, they agreed to tow my car to the center so that they can replace the battery as soon as it becomes available. They also say they will give me a loaner car once my car gets there.

Reactions: XPsionic
Update: I visited the nearest Tesla service center to me in Costa Mesa today. The rep confirmed that it is a battery that they are waiting for. Hard to believe that it would take a week & a half for a car company to scrounge up a new battery. After I complained, they agreed to tow my car to the center so that they can replace the battery as soon as it becomes available. They also say they will give me a loaner car once my car gets there.
Hope you get that loaner until it's sorted. I'm really worried about Tesla's service, it's already not great, and they're selling sooooooo many cars these days, Give it another couple of years and people might stop buying Teslas due to the crummy service at this rate.

You have a brand new Model 3 with the lithium 12V I think? Guess we'll find out what the problem is when you get it back.