TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

12 Volt Battery Disconnect

Discussion in 'Roadster' started by Pantera Dude, Feb 26, 2013.

1. Pantera Dude

Pantera Dude Member

Can someone tell me how to disable the 12 volt power on my car? It is roadster #107, I understand it has no 12 volt battery? And by the way how does that work?

2. dsm363

dsm363 Roadster + Sig Model S

It does have a 12V battery so don't think you can disable it. Are you getting error message?

3. Pantera Dude

Pantera Dude Member

No error message, I'm installing a different stereo. I thought I'd heard that the early cars, did not have a 12 volt battery? Obviously they have a 12 volt system but I don't know how do it? Or maybe I was dreaming? :biggrin:
    I'm almost done with the installation and haven't blown a fuse yet!

Thanks,
    Art

4. dsm363

dsm363 Roadster + Sig Model S

I may have that wrong then about the 1.5s. Hope it works out!

5. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

Pull the fuse for the radio.

6. Jackyche

Jackyche Member

I remember reading the 1.5's don't have a 12v battery. Something about one of the sheets in the main battery is dedicated to car electronics.

7. EVsport

EVsport Member

If you have one, it would be located in front of the passenger side front tire behind a splash panel. It's a standard size motorcycle battery.

8. markwj

markwj Moderator, Asia Pacific

Early Roadsters (1.5s) don't have a 12V battery. 12V power comes straight from the main ESS.

To disable 12V power for radio work, the fuse box is your best bet. Take care with amplifiers, though. The available 12V power is very limited. The professionals installers who have done big upgrades have put in a separate battery to power their amplifiers.

e.g.; Worlds most bespoke Tesla Roadster | West Hollywood and the other one Al & Eds did for Dr Taras.

9. Pantera Dude

Pantera Dude Member

Thanks guys! The stereo is installed. I pulled three fuses, one apparently had something to do with the alarm because when I opened the door to get out of the car, the alarm went off! It then required my security code which I didn't know. I had the code in the house so all is well. Learn something new every day.:biggrin: