Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

12 volt battery going, going, gone

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My friends with Model S get warnings before their 12v dies. Does the M3 give a warning? I have searched YouTube and Google to see a photo of what a warning looks like, but there's nothing!

Has anyone had their 12v battery die (were you stranded?) and did your car give a warning first?

Jeff

My 2013 w/73k has not had its battery replaced yet. It seems like the batteries and how good they are built vary dramatically. Maybe different suppliers. Anyways, Elon was saying a few weeks ago that there would be a software update that allows you to see your 12v batteries health. However, keep in mind that is Elon time. Not sure though if M3 does the same as the other models -- but I would imagine soo.

• Informative
Reactions: M3BlueGeorgia
Interesting about the potential software update. Thanks for that information.

Interesting note though... I watched a YouTube video of how a 9v radio battery can pop open the frunk of a M3 (which gives access to the 12v for replacement). Of course, this will only be helpful if your car dies in your garage where it can sit until you order a replacement 12v.

My friends with Model S get warnings before their 12v dies. Does the M3 give a warning? I have searched YouTube and Google to see a photo of what a warning looks like, but there's nothing!

Has anyone had their 12v battery die (were you stranded?) and did your car give a warning first?

Jeff

You get a warning like this. I got the warning after < 2 years. Apparently the battery was being improperly charged due to a failure in the VCFront module. Tesla replaced the VCFront module and 12V battery as part of warranty service.

fullsizerender.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: jjrandorin