Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

12 volt battery location

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A search didn't bring up this information so I thought I would post it for posterity. I got a cryptic pop-up message twice today on my short commute home. "Car needs service. Car may not restart" It cleared on it's own so I looked into it a bit and got some suggestions it might be the start of troubles with the 12 Volt battery. The Model S has the battery located near the passenger wheel well but I located it in my P90D just left of the main fuse box in the behind the frunk. If you remove the shielding between the frunk and windshield, you'll see the fuse box in front of the driver. To the left and down, you'll see the battery.
Service recommended that I wait and see if the pop-up warning continues to appear. The battery health indicator on the battery is green, which indicates it's in "good health". It has been cold lately and my commute doesn't allow the main battery to warm up enough for full regen, if that matters. If there's any issue, I'm sure Tesla service will handle it.

Attachments

• 20161122_212216.jpg
    20161122_212216.jpg
    306.8 KB · Views: 198
  • Informative
Reactions: vandacca
My car is on the way to the Service Center since it looks like I might have the dreaded 12V battery problem. With travel time (108 miles) and the holiday weekend, I don't think I'll get my X back until well into next week. I'll post pictures of the new battery if it's replaced.

My car is on the way to the Service Center since it looks like I might have the dreaded 12V battery problem. With travel time (108 miles) and the holiday weekend, I don't think I'll get my X back until well into next week. I'll post pictures of the new battery if it's replaced.
I hope this is a quick fix for you. Just for my future reference, how is the battery/fusebox cover in the frunk held in place, and how did you remove it? Thanks.

I hope this is a quick fix for you. Just for my future reference, how is the battery/fusebox cover in the frunk held in place, and how did you remove it? Thanks.

The plastic shielding between the frunk and windshield is just held in place by soft, snap fasteners. You can remove it by pulling either corner closest to the windshield with medium force, and work your way across the vehicle. The fuse box cover is just held by two visible plastic tabs on each end of the box. The 12 volt battery is not covered in any way.

• Informative
Reactions: ferdboyce
As I mentioned in the other thread you posted this on, the "car needs service, may not restart" message could indicate a bad high power cable to one of the motors. It did in mine and the car subsequently would not start and had to be towed.