Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

12 volt battery needs replacing

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My 12 volt battery went out on my model x and the car completely died. Had to be towed to Tesla Rockville Service center. Tesla service has had my car for close to 2 months and they can't give me an ETA on when the battery is going to be delivered to them. The service department is very rude and keep telling me there is nothing they can do. This is a known issue and the fact that they are blaming parts shortage is irresponsible and unprofessional.

Reactions: SabrToothSqrl
My 12 volt battery went out on my model x and the car completely died. Had to be towed to Tesla Rockville Service center. Tesla service has had my car for close to 2 months and they can't give me an ETA on when the battery is going to be delivered to them. The service department is very rude and keep telling me there is nothing they can do. This is a known issue and the fact that they are blaming parts shortage is irresponsible and unprofessional.
I agree. After the Rockville Service Ctr. twice failed to have the parts available to fix a "door not closing completely" problem, my 12V battery died in Vermont. I called Emergency Roadside Assistance and they said that rather than simply send the VT-based mobile service team, I'd need to have the X towed to the nearest Service Center, 173 miles away in Latham, NY. The 12V is not capable of a jump start (a Tesla-approved Towing Co. tried, and it was only thru them that I even learned that Tesla has a mobile team in VT). So I need to replace it BUT Tesla recommends against anyone but a Tesla mechanic replacing a battery. Bottom line ... a 173 mile tow for a dead battery??

I agree. After the Rockville Service Ctr. twice failed to have the parts available to fix a "door not closing completely" problem, my 12V battery died in Vermont. I called Emergency Roadside Assistance and they said that rather than simply send the VT-based mobile service team, I'd need to have the X towed to the nearest Service Center, 173 miles away in Latham, NY. The 12V is not capable of a jump start (a Tesla-approved Towing Co. tried, and it was only thru them that I even learned that Tesla has a mobile team in VT). So I need to replace it BUT Tesla recommends against anyone but a Tesla mechanic replacing a battery. Bottom line ... a 173 mile tow for a dead battery??
Are there any options to escalate the problem? The service center reps tell me there is nothing they can do. I requested a call from their manager, but haven't heard anything for two weeks. Any suggestions and thoughts would be appreciated. It is very frustrating dealing with these guys.

Good luck, I feel your pain. Hope it is all resolved quickly!
Tesla (Rockville Service Center) continues to wait for the battery to be available. No ETA or confirmation that I will even get a battery. Going on 45 days now with service center staff that are rude and have an attitude b/c I ask for an ETA on a weekly basis. No escalation path and no one from Tesla has tried to contact me since I have taken the car in.

Tesla (Rockville Service Center) continues to wait for the battery to be available. No ETA or confirmation that I will even get a battery. Going on 45 days now with service center staff that are rude and have an attitude b/c I ask for an ETA on a weekly basis. No escalation path and no one from Tesla has tried to contact me since I have taken the car in.
I am shocked it is that a 12v battery is that hard to get. In my area, the mobile techs carry them around with them. The Service Center keeps them in stock. Mine was replaced by Mobile Service in my driveway, just a month ago (Dec-8 to be precise). In less than 24 hours from opening the ticket. I don't get it. Have you tried a different Service Center by chance?

Reactions: Rocky_H
I am shocked it is that a 12v battery is that hard to get. In my area, the mobile techs carry them around with them. The Service Center keeps them in stock. Mine was replaced by Mobile Service in my driveway, just a month ago (Dec-8 to be precise). In less than 24 hours from opening the ticket. I don't get it. Have you tried a different Service Center by chance?
I couldn't believe that they didn't have a 12 volt battery since this is a well known issue for the X and S, but they said they don't store batteries and it has to be shipped for the west coast. The car is dead and won't start. It had to be towed to Rockville service center. They are telling me there is a part shortage and there is nothing they can do. There is no escalation process or anyone to complain to. I will probably sell the car after this experience. Going on 40 days without any ETA on the battery.

I have a Model 3 LR, with the stock Atlas battery. I was able to size up a new 12volt from Napa. Quick $120, 10 mins of work. Tesla Mobile technician told me theres no issue using a non-tesla 12v stock battery
I think the Model 3 battery is a lot easier to get to versus the S and X. They are telling me it is a high voltage battery and Tesla Tech is the only one that can replace it. I think b/c it is hidden in the Frunk.