Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

12 volt battery needs replacing

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think the Model 3 battery is a lot easier to get to versus the S and X. They are telling me it is a high voltage battery and Tesla Tech is the only one that can replace it. I think b/c it is hidden in the Frunk.
Oh ok. I thought this was a 12volt battery thread… that would be low voltage/standard battery. Yeah mine is in my frunk too. You dont need the Tesla brand battery, just the correct size 12volt from any store. Just my experience…

They are telling me it is a high voltage battery and Tesla Tech is the only one that can replace it.
but they said they don't store batteries and it has to be shipped for the west coast.
Whoa, whoa, whoa. If this is the high voltage battery, then it is not the 12V battery, and that could be pretty understandable having trouble getting that. The 12V batteries should not be that much trouble to get, and they would be in stock instead of needing to have one shipped from Tesla's factory like the main battery pack would be. This is making a lot more sense now.

I have a Model 3 LR, with the stock Atlas battery. I was able to size up a new 12volt from Napa. Quick $120, 10 mins of work. Tesla Mobile technician told me theres no issue using a non-tesla 12v stock battery
The only issue is, I doubt Tesla will replace a non-Tesla battery in the future, under warranty. I am on the third battery in my X. I am looking forward to the lithium 12v on my new X.

Whoa, whoa, whoa. If this is the high voltage battery, then it is not the 12V battery, and that could be pretty understandable having trouble getting that. The 12V batteries should not be that much trouble to get, and they would be in stock instead of needing to have one shipped from Tesla's factory like the main battery pack would be. This is making a lot more sense now.
At first they used the chip shortage as the excuse and I called them out and told them there are no chips in these batteries. I don't know exactly why they are taking so long, but this is something they should have in inventory since it is a known issue. We are going on 45 days with no ETA other than it might get here at the end of the month is silly. They are just punting every time I ask for an update.

At first they used the chip shortage as the excuse and I called them out and told them there are no chips in these batteries.
Hold on just a damn minute! When you added those two very significant pieces of information that this is the "high voltage battery" and that it is having to be shipped from the West coast, then that changed everything, and I have been trying to dig this information out of you. If that's what it is, then this is the main battery pack of the car that weighs a thousand pounds and sure as hell has a lot of monitoring systems and circuit boards and microchips in the controller part of it. That would NOT be the little 12V battery. Which is it?

Hold on just a damn minute! When you added those two very significant pieces of information that this is the "high voltage battery" and that it is having to be shipped from the West coast, then that changed everything, and I have been trying to dig this information out of you. If that's what it is, then this is the main battery pack of the car that weighs a thousand pounds and sure as hell has a lot of monitoring systems and circuit boards and microchips in the controller part of it. That would NOT be the little 12V battery. Which is it?
It is sad that the main battery pack goes out after two years and 17k miles. That should not happen. I'm checking with them about it, but they are telling me that I'm not the only one in this situation. Going on 50 days with no eta.