Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

12 volt battery question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have left mine for well over a month not plugged in without any issues. Hadn't thought about using a battery tender. Like others have suggested you could just leave it plugged in, even if on 120v. Not sure if it is good practice or not, but when leaving it parked for a long time and plugged in, I usually charge to 80% but then set the charge limit to 50% and let it slowly discharge over the month or so.

Tesla service techs have told me on more than one occasion that it's best to leave the car plugged in. If leaving for an extended period, they said to set the charge level low and plug in. The 12v battery will stay charged if plugged in, but I believe that if not plugged in the 12v will not charge from the main battery. Various components will use 12v even if the car is not used, and it will eventually drain.

• Informative
Reactions: spaghetti
Tesla service techs have told me on more than one occasion that it's best to leave the car plugged in. If leaving for an extended period, they said to set the charge level low and plug in. The 12v battery will stay charged if plugged in, but I believe that if not plugged in the 12v will not charge from the main battery. Various components will use 12v even if the car is not used, and it will eventually drain.
How low is "low"? The sweet spot for the main battery to be in is between 50-80%. I agree with the plugging in advice, but not the leaving the level low advice.

Mine won't let me set the Low charge level below 50%. So before a long trip, I charge to 80% and then lower the level to 50%. If it gets near there, I turn it to 60%, charge and then put it back at 50%. For some reason I don't want it to add 1 or 2% at a time to keep it charged.