Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

12 Volt Battery Replacement

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I got the battery warning about a week ago. My battery is original, so it is a bit more than 5 years old. ()Pretty good, I'd say.) My appointment with mobile service is this coming Friday. I was told once by the service center that you should get about 2 weeks' notice. Winter obviously puts more demand on the battery, especially if you run the seat heaters, heater fan, and so on. I have been running local errands, getting ready for Christmas and so on, and keep crossing my fingers that I will make it out to the store and back. My fear is that it will die in some inconvenient or dangerous place, and I will be unable to move it. Today's temps are in the 30s (F).
Any idea what my odds are?
Be nice if there were a countdown clock or a battery gage or something to give a better idea of how close to the edge it is....It also would be nice to know if it is better to keep using it, causing it to charge/discharge, or better to let it sit and get cold.

When my 12V started to go I bought an Ohmu and there was a delay in getting it. The service center told me the warning usually gives you about a month's warning. They may have told you two weeks because of the age of the battery.

• Helpful
Reactions: David29
Well, my 12V battery has been replaced. The Tesla mobile technician was here this morning. He was here for over an hour, maybe 75-90 minutes or so. While here, he also checked my tires and set the tire pressures.

We had a foot or so of snow here yesterday in the Boston area, and it was about 25F when he arrived. My car is parked outside, but a generous neighbor very kindly allowed me to borrow her garage space for a couple of hours so that the technician could work inside in a flat, dry, level garage space instead of outside on a snowy parking lot. I assume he appreciated that!

I delayed his completion inadvertently. He had finished the work and was doing something to reset the computer (not sure what exactly), and I wandered down to see how the job was going, and had a Tesla key in my pocket. As I approached the car, the car detected the key and unlocked, so he had to begin that step again. I apologized, and he was nice about it, but I could tell it delayed him a bit.

The cost was $214 -- battery $165, labor $39 (surprisingly little), and sales tax $10.31. I have an ESA, but they evidently did not use the ESA to cover the battery because in that case the charge would have been a flat $200. Small difference.

I was very pleased that the 5+ year old battery held out for the two weeks since the warning first popped up, despite the recent cold weather.

Reactions: Rocky_H
I got the battery warning about a week ago. My battery is original, so it is a bit more than 5 years old. ()Pretty good, I'd say.) My appointment with mobile service is this coming Friday. I was told once by the service center that you should get about 2 weeks' notice.
Mine finally got the message. Tesla made a service appt. with mobile for a month from now. When I asked if it would last that long I didn't get an answer. Hmmmm. Think I will drive to a sc and buy one just to make sure I am not stranded.

Reactions: MichaelP90DL
Well, my 12V battery has been replaced. The Tesla mobile technician was here this morning. He was here for over an hour, maybe 75-90 minutes or so. While here, he also checked my tires and set the tire pressures.

We had a foot or so of snow here yesterday in the Boston area, and it was about 25F when he arrived. My car is parked outside, but a generous neighbor very kindly allowed me to borrow her garage space for a couple of hours so that the technician could work inside in a flat, dry, level garage space instead of outside on a snowy parking lot. I assume he appreciated that!

I delayed his completion inadvertently. He had finished the work and was doing something to reset the computer (not sure what exactly), and I wandered down to see how the job was going, and had a Tesla key in my pocket. As I approached the car, the car detected the key and unlocked, so he had to begin that step again. I apologized, and he was nice about it, but I could tell it delayed him a bit.

The cost was $214 -- battery $165, labor $39 (surprisingly little), and sales tax $10.31. I have an ESA, but they evidently did not use the ESA to cover the battery because in that case the charge would have been a flat $200. Small difference.

I was very pleased that the 5+ year old battery held out for the two weeks since the warning first popped up, despite the recent cold weather.
I had mine replaced twice in five years. First time they didn’t charge but second time they did. Both times were out of warranty by miles not by year.

• Informative
Reactions: David29
I had replaced 4 times on my 2013 S .SC told to plugin all the time home.
Plugging in our not won't help the 12V. When the car is off, it's running the 12V loads off the 12V battery, letting it discharge, then turning on the HV and recharging it from the main battery. That behavior is the same whether the car is plugged in or not.

It's the cycling that does in the 12V battery; the only way to stop it is to connect a (powerful enough) battery charger/maintainer directly to the 12V battery, or drive the car, in which case the HV battery is powering the DC-DC converter which is in turn powering the 12V subsystem.

• Informative
Reactions: Durzel and Rocky_H
Just got the 12v warning on the display. Not bad considering I'm still on the original 12v from 2015. Scheduling with the mobile app was easy, it suggested the 12v replacement based on what the car was telling me and they had a next day mobile service appointment.
Excellent! Mine lasted about one year less, and I thought I did well! Many anecdotal reports of batteries failing much sooner than that, so you (and I) were lucky with ours.

Just got the 12v warning on the display. Not bad considering I'm still on the original 12v from 2015. Scheduling with the mobile app was easy, it suggested the 12v replacement based on what the car was telling me and they had a next day mobile service appointment.
The repair quote today was $165 for the battery and $63 in labor. Plus about $17 in tax for a total of $245. The appointment today got moved to Friday due to a scheduling issue on Tesla's side.