Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

12 Volt Battery Replacement

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Having recently been in there, the 12V battery is nowhere near the main pack. It is above the front drive unit which probably warms it a little, but not by much. This is where having a car designed in California by Californians is not the greatest thing.

It gets colder here in the winter than SoCal, but my garage rarely gets to freezing, so it's not a huge problem for me having a li-ion 12V battery.

When I got the message I called the service center and asked if it was covered under warranty and they said it was a regular wear item and not covered. I believe they will cover a 12V battery replacement if the battery goes out early, but not at 2 1/2 years.

When I got the message I called the service center and asked if it was covered under warranty and they said it was a regular wear item and not covered. I believe they will cover a 12V battery replacement if the battery goes out early, but not at 2 1/2 years.
Thanks. What did they charge you? My 12v service notification showed up this morning- just curious

Yeeeeaaaaahhhh..... seems legit.... :cool:

They have been tested in the cold. In conditions down to -20F environmental in vehicle and down to -40F in laboratory testing. They perform, their lifespan is effected by the cold, which is similar to lead acid.

Ohmmu has their own test lab in Arizona.

They also warranty their batteries and guarantee the performance in the cold (as well as hot but that’s not so difficult for these vehicles).

I’m not sure what would be more of a “legit” explanation for you except to lie and say the battery has some magical chemistry that won’t be effected by cold weather just like every other battery out there.

Did you know your vehicles battery warranty may be voided if you leave it out in the cold? Read the warranty policy. Plug your car in if it’s going to be cold and ideally keep it in a garage; if you can’t ever do those things maybe consider the Tesla not a good fit for you?

I would be concerned about the warranty with the lithium 12volt with the constant company name changes.

We all know lithium should not be charged below freezing, well right now it is 0F at my place. The salesman selling the lithium battery assured me it would be fine here but offered no reasoning. Just "it won't get that cold" "proximity to main pack will keep it warm" " it won't shorten life that much" .
Seemed very much salesmanship over making a knowledgeable statement.
If I lived in FL I might have gone that route, but I live in Wisconsin.

Just consider what we know about lithiums needing to be heated to charge in cold climates before jumping on this bandwagon.

This is understandable concern on the name changes. I can tell you any BattMobile Battery and now any Ohmmu battery are fully supported by Ohmmu. Unfortunately the founder of BattMobile got into an arrangement with a company which required the rebrand to Element 3 but then didn’t support or continue providing the batteries. In a complicated and difficult effort the founder was able to peel away from the arrangement and re-establish themselves independently, however due to legal issues the name couldn’t remain and so a new brand had to be created.

Unfortunate for business and confusing for the customer base but the truth is sometimes just that way. So, Ohmmu will fully support all Ohmmu as well as BattMobile units out there but any Element 3 batteries are a totally different company and would be supported by them. I’d be weary of anyone other than Ohmmu at this point, myself.

• Informative
Reactions: Evoforce
Thanks. What did they charge you? My 12v service notification showed up this morning- just curious

I ordered an Ohmmu and did it myself. It's an expensive battery, but it's supposed to last a lot longer than the original. There are several videos on how to get to the battery on pre-refresh S, but not much on post-refresh. I finally found one and it was fairly easy to get to the battery, but there is a bracket going across the battery that is a bit tricky to get off.

Initially I didn't find the menu item to shut down the car and the message didn't clear, but shutting down the car, removing one connection to the battery for a few minutes, then reconnected and the message cleared.

Overall it was an interesting project taking only a half hour and learning what's under the covers in the frunk.

If you were within original warranty the battery replacement should have been free

@Beryl,

I jus pi hated the Li Ion battery from Mountainpass.
It's 24 lbs lighter than the OEM lead acid battery

MPP Lightweight Lithium Battery Kit

@Xenoilphobe ,

A thermistor, which is part of the battery management system (BMS), prevents the battery from charging until a pre-set temperature is reached, as these batteries are managed, unlike lead acid batteries, which lose the majority of their power once the temps get low. Also these batteries come with a 4 years full-replacement warranty, not pro-rated like every lead acid battery company. This has been the same through the 3 name changes Batt Mobile, Element3 and now OHMMU.

Thanks for clearing up the confusion about Batt Mobile / Elements3 / OHMMU

The MPP battery is a
  • EarthX ETX900 Lithium Ion Battery
  • designed and manufactured in USA – originally intended for aircraft!

• Informative
Reactions: Xenoilphobe
Wondering if there is any consensus on how long between first appearance of the message and a failure? I don't particularly want to get stuck. I don't particularly want to look at the message that won't clear either, but I can probably suffer through that... ;-)
I've tried quite a few different variations on a search to see if there was ever an answer on this, but haven't had any luck.

The message just popped up on our mid-2015 Model S. My wife is the primary driver, and the message of course corresponds with the coldest weather we've had this season. I'd have her drive our 3, but we've also had snow and have much better snow tires on the S.

I have a ranger appointment in 7 days. I'd considered replacing it myself, but have a shoulder injury and don't want to break me or the car trying to do it unless I really have to.