Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

12 Volt Battery Replacement

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After Ranger service replaced my 12volt battery a 2nd time in 4 years, more problems were cleared:
1. Charger port wouldn’t release the nozzle
2. No more “key not in car” error messages.

However, 4 weeks later, the 12 volt battery failure message came up and the #1 problem above started again along with Bluetooth connection issues. I made the appointment for service the next week. 2 days before the service, I got the text message from Tesla:
Thank you for scheduling your Tesla for a Mobile Service Appointment. At this time, the parts needed for to address your concerns will not make it in time for your originally scheduled Mobile appointment. We are sorry for this inconvenience. I have rescheduled your appointment for 1/27 at 10:30 AM. Does this new date and time work for you? Please reply to this text with yes. If the new appointment date does not work for you, please login to your MyTesla APP and change your appointment for a date after 1/27. Thank you for your cooperation and please let us know if you have any questions. Thank you!

They didn’t respond to my messages so I struggled another week with removing the nozzle and stopped leaving it plugged in to avoid the delay due to struggle. Sadly, I got another message from Tesla:
Thank you for scheduling your Tesla for a Mobile Service Appointment. At this time, the parts needed for to address your concerns will not make it in time for your originally scheduled Mobile appointment. We are sorry for this inconvenience. I have rescheduled your appointment for 2/3 at 10:30 AM. Does this new date and time work for you? Please reply to this text with yes. If the new appointment date does not work for you, please login to your MyTesla APP and change your appointment for a date after 2/3. Thank you for your cooperation and please let us know if you have any questions. Thank you!

Fortunately, there is a Service Center just under 1 hour away so if the car makes it, I’ll go there on Monday and hopefully they can replace the battery.

Is there a 12 volt battery shortage at Tesla? Is the 12 volt battery warranty greater than 30 days?

After reading that Tesla will attempt to void warranties for non-Tesla batteries, I’m hesitant to look into alternative batteries right now.

I’m reading in the official forum that there is a 12V battery storage. I wish Tesla would at least respond to my text and app messages so I can know if it would be a waste of time going to a SC.

Tesla service has significantly degraded over the last couple of years.

Sucks to have to rent a car because of a 12v battery.

After reading that Tesla will attempt to void warranties for non-Tesla batteries, I’m hesitant to look into alternative batteries right now.

Not true, in fact they installed my OMMHU battery that I shipped to the Service Center. Batteries come with there own warranty (4 years in the case of the OMMHU and FullRiver also has its own warranty) Also any auto shop can install these batteries (PEP Boys, Bubba's Corner Gas Station etc)

FT438-U1R Fullriver 12V 35Ah (438 CCA) Battery - Batteries ASAP

Full Throttle Battery - Can Am X3 – Addiction Powersports NW

Full Throttle FT438-U1R AGM Battery

Full Throttle FT438-U1R AGM Battery

High Capacity Dual Purpose AGM 12v Battery for Tesla Model S

http://resources.fullriverbattery.com/fullriver-battery/spec-sheets/FT438.pdf

in the official forum that there is a 12V battery storage. I wish Tesla would at least respond to my text and app messages so I can know if it would be a waste of time going to a SC.

Also not true: This battery is now common in the aftermarket and OEM market space - here is another source for the battery if you want to stick with the the stock lead acid battery:
High Capacity Dual Purpose AGM 12v Battery for Tesla Model S

has significantly degraded over the last couple of years.
No argument here - now that Tesla has 500,000 cars on the road, you don't get the bespoke service we used to get before the Mongolian Hordes (Model 3) arrived.

have to rent a car because of a 12v battery.

Drama much?

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: Beryl

I’m reading in the official forum that there is a 12V battery storage. I wish Tesla would at least respond to my text and app messages so I can know if it would be a waste of time going to a SC.

I've been waiting for over a month, since 12/23/19 for a 12V battery.

Where did you read about the shortage?

I've been waiting for over a month, since 12/23/19 for a 12V battery.

Where did you read about the shortage?

Go to the official forums and look at some of the threads. One is mine but there are others that go back to 2018.

My local SC can’t find one in all of Texas (Houston, San Antonio, Dallas) which surprised me. I thought the mobile center was just being a little incompetent. They are waiting to get one out of California.

@Xenoilphobe

Everything I stated in my post was verified at my SC today.

1. The rep, who has been there since I got my Tesla December 2015, told me that batteries are not like tires that can be obtained anywhere. He said that 3rd party batteries are risky and not suggested to get them outside of Tesla.

I never stated that they don’t get batteries from the company marketed in this thread and whenever the words “12 battery” appears on a thread. Tesla probably doesn’t manufacture any of the 12 volt batteries.

2. They didn’t respond to my messages. (You included that quote in your “not true” statement.) The SC observed it today and explained how Mobile Service doesn’t have individual ownership as they do in SCs. He sent a message to me using the same text number as the Mobile Service but ensured me that he would respond to any inquiries. I trust him as he has not let me down in the past.

The “Drama much” comment is totally inappropriate. Fortunately, Tesla gave me a nice loaner and didn’t suggest continuing to drive with the 12 volt battery message.

• Informative
Reactions: Xenoilphobe

I installed an Ohmu when my original was dying. Since then I've had service where they were in the same compartment and couldn't miss seeing the battery (HEPA filter replacement) and the tech didn't comment.

• Informative
Reactions: Xenoilphobe
Just had my 12v battery replaced by mobile service here in Dallas. Made a service appt through the app and had it done 2 days later. No mention of shortage. Guess I got lucky?
Good to hear. The app only offered me Mobile Service — 7 days out. It was then postponed twice.

I’m wondering if the problem is with the Ranger service in the Houston area. Neither of our SCs have any batteries and the rep said he hadn’t been successful with San Antonio and Dallas. We’ll see if it takes 3 more weeks for them to obtain one.

Same problem here in San Diego. After they cancelled my first ranger appointment they randomly texted me and told me to schedule another mobile appointment. Silly me assumed that meant batteries were in stock. Got another text saying they were still out of batteries and had to cancel again.

They mentioned they should have them in stock the first week of February. My light has been on for two weeks so hopefully it can hold on for another couple weeks.

@Beryl
sorry for the “drama much” comment.

I just don’t understand the folks who don’t use all options and feel that have to lean on Tesla for a common in the market part. I’m on my third Model S and everyone of them has an aftermarket battery for a reason.

I don’t trust the lead based battery and went to a higher spec aftermarket option. Saving $200 to deal with a rental to me is not worth the hassle even if it is in warranty. It is strange how so many of these SC reps give conflicting information. I also guess that rep hasn’t heard of the Magnuson–Moss Warranty Act - Wikipedia. Which allows you to use aftermarket parts.

Warrantors cannot require that only branded parts be used with the product in order to retain the warranty.[7] This is commonly referred to as the "tie-in sales" provisions[8] and is frequently mentioned in the context of third-party computer parts, such as memory and hard drives.

Reactions: Beryl
From the SC after my 2/27 visit:
The battery we ordered is estimated to arrive on Friday 1/31/2020. I'll notify you when the shipment is received and again once we resume services on your vehicle. Please let me know if you have any questions.
I’m questioning the efforts made by the Ranger Service. They didn’t provide any updates. They only rescheduled over and over.

Wow. This isn’t me but mirrors my experience.
Save 10 minutes an the annoying narration with no solution at the end. This battery has been awesome in all three of my Model S’s https://www.ohmmu.com/product-page/12v-lithium-battery-for-tesla-model-s it takes two minutes to order and I can install it faster than the guy can tell you about how special the batteries are. He did get one thing right the firmware is different for each battery chemistry. Lithium can take deeper discharge cycles and Tesla knows it and allows deeper and fewer discharge cycles. Also the lithium battery has its own BMS -Battery Management System unlike the “Dumb” AGM stock battery. So no firmware change is necessary. Direct Drop-in replacement for; DCS-33 UNCR, DCS-33RIT, 1083774-00-A

Last edited:
  • Funny
  • Informative
Reactions: lUtriaNt and Beryl
Today, Tessie notified me the 12-volt battery needs to be replaced. I notified Tesla via the app and a mobile service person will show up next Wednesday (four days from now) to do the work. My first time to use Tesla Service since I bought the car one year ago.

So for those that are out of warranty, there are four options that I know of. They are:

1. C&D battery from Gruber EV part # DCS33-UNCR available on Ebay for $138 plus $38 for shipping. This is the OEM battery.
  2. Ohmmu LiON battery for $400 from ohmuu.com
  3. Mountainpass performance EarthX ETX900 for $660
  4. Full Throttle FT438-U1R AGM Battery for $199 based on the links from Xenoilphobe, I found it locally for $189 and ordered it from them. I found the local distributor from Full Throttles website.
The Full Throttle looks a little better than the C&D, but I don't know. I have a 2015 70D with 72K and this will be my 3rd battery. The first replacement failed under warranty two years ago and my battery is easy to access, so I will do it myself. I live in the desert and even my ICE car batteries failed after two years. I attribute that to the extreme heat we have.

5. OEM battery from Tesla SC and DIY install. That's what I did last year and it was $150 so cheaper than Gruber due to no shipping. I also turned the old battery in at Autozone and they gave me a $20 store credit (didn't matter I didn't buy there, I asked).

5. OEM battery from Tesla SC and DIY install. That's what I did last year and it was $150 so cheaper than Gruber due to no shipping. I also turned the old battery in at Autozone and they gave me a $20 store credit (didn't matter I didn't buy there, I asked).

Good to know about the $20 store credit, I will give that a try, thanks.

If my battery keeps failing every year or so, I might try this one that is $110 from Amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/VMAX857-Batt...ywords=DCS33&qid=1585173327&s=vehicles&sr=8-6
I would have to adapt the terminals, but it looks like a pretty robust battery with Military Grade Alloys, whatever that means.