Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

12 Volt Battery Replacement

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just installed the Full Throttle battery and am still getting the 12V battery warning. Performed both resets on the center and driver displays as well as waited about a half hour in case it was a charging issue. Does Tesla need to reset something?

I got that with my car. I went through the menu on the MCU to shut down the car, then I removed one terminal from the battery, waited a few minutes and hooked it back up. The first time I didn't shut down the car through MCU and it came up in a state that didn't clear the message. The second time the message cleared.

I got that with my car. I went through the menu on the MCU to shut down the car, then I removed one terminal from the battery, waited a few minutes and hooked it back up. The first time I didn't shut down the car through MCU and it came up in a state that didn't clear the message. The second time the message cleared.

Great news, I will give that a try. Thank you. I removed the old battery and left it out for around 4 hours, but didn't perform a shutdown through the MCU first.
I have the service manual and it does not say anything about different battery configurations. In the instructions for replacing the battery, it just describes the physical removal and replacement no mention of a need to reconfigure anything in software.

I have the service manual and it does not say anything about different battery configurations. In the instructions for replacing the battery, it just describes the physical removal and replacement no mention of a need to reconfigure anything in software.

Sure does:

Installation
Installation procedure is the reverse of removal, except for the following:
  1. Ensure that the HVAC intake drain diverter is positioned properly when reinstalling the pollen filter front housing.
    Caution: Take care not to damage component(s).
  2. If changing from an Exide to a C&D battery, update the vehicle's configuration with Toolbox.
    1. Connect a laptop with Toolbox to the vehicle.
    2. Select Views > Vehicle Configuration > Vehicle Configuration Update.
    3. In the "12V Battery Type" menu, select C&D.

Sure does:

Installation
Installation procedure is the reverse of removal, except for the following:
  1. Ensure that the HVAC intake drain diverter is positioned properly when reinstalling the pollen filter front housing.
    Caution: Take care not to damage component(s).
  2. If changing from an Exide to a C&D battery, update the vehicle's configuration with Toolbox.
    1. Connect a laptop with Toolbox to the vehicle.
    2. Select Views > Vehicle Configuration > Vehicle Configuration Update.
    3. In the "12V Battery Type" menu, select C&D.

I am looking in chapter 17 Electrical with the title:
Battery - Auxiliary - 12V (Dual Motor) (Remove and Replace)
That is the vehicle I have and it says nothing about using the Toolbox.

In looking at the section:
Battery - Auxiliary - 12V (RWD) (Remove and Replace) I do see it, but that is not my vehicle.

Was the Exide battery also AGM? There is probably not a configuration option for the Full River battery. I have tried turning off the car with the ground terminal disconnected four time with no luck. I will now try disconnecting the positive terminal and maybe try the full reset option in the MCU with the battery hooked up.

Last edited:
The Exide battery was only on very early cars that were all RWD so it's not in the dual motor section. However, if you have the same service manual as I do it's a few years old and Tesla has changed the 12V again since that manual.

Edit: When I changed my battery (2013 RWD) I replaced it with the same exact DCS+ one and the battery warning cleared right away. So that's why I suspect your new battery is not of the same type as is currently configured in your car. But that's just my thought on it, I could be completely wrong.

I just plugged in the ground terminal this morning after leaving it off overnight. The message finally cleared, so everything is good.
On a side note, I did put in a service request last night thinking it was a software issue and they texted me this morning asking to verify the terminals were tight and they wanted to see the battery invoice.
Thanks everyone for your help!

• Helpful
Reactions: zwede
My instrument cluster recently said to replace the 12-volt battery. I used the app to notify Tesla and they scheduled a Mobile Service tech for April 1st. Anthony showed up in his 2016 90D, which was loaded with parts and tools. Here are the photos I shot. My next-door neighbor, Jessie, came over to watch, he chatted with Anthony. He really should unload all his ICE cars. Anyhow, here are the pics. I sent some of them to Anthony via the cell number I had for him. And once the new battery was in place, I was finally able to install software 2020.8.2, which failed to install earlier. Anthony said the battery had to be replaced to enable it. Tessie is happy again. :)

IMG_2285.JPG IMG_2286.JPG IMG_2287.JPG IMG_2288.JPG IMG_2289.JPG IMG_2290.JPG IMG_2291.JPG IMG_2292.JPG IMG_2293.JPG IMG_2295.JPG

I received my 12V battery warning last week. I decided to go with the Ohmmu battery to see how it handles my upgraded sound system. Typically I just let someone else to my installs however, with this social distancing I gave it the ole college try. Fortunately for me the replacement/install process went smooth. I think it was about 90 minutes to finish the project. I just took a couple of pics. No issues with the warning staying up after install and did a "battery" of tests that came out sat.

Attachments

• 20200404_162237.jpg
    20200404_162237.jpg
    394.1 KB · Views: 183
  • 20200404_162630.jpg
    20200404_162630.jpg
    277.8 KB · Views: 191
Another data point..

Got the alert on my car. Communicated to both mobile tech and another tesla rep that contacted me when I initiated the service through the app. Conveyed I wanted to purchase the battery from parts and do self install. Both said would be fine. (I like doing the work myself and also save $$ from the labor cost).

Drive over to tesla and just as I'm about to purchase ask the parts guy if I need a software update for the battery. (going from the C&D red top to the Atlas yellow top). He goes back and talks to the tech and comes back and says yes I need that update and so I can not do a self install. His explanation was because its AGM battery. Though I believe the C&D is also AGM so I'm not sure what this config does differently. So ended up having to pay out for the installation from tesla.

Another data point..

Got the alert on my car. Communicated to both mobile tech and another tesla rep that contacted me when I initiated the service through the app. Conveyed I wanted to purchase the battery from parts and do self install. Both said would be fine. (I like doing the work myself and also save $$ from the labor cost).

Drive over to tesla and just as I'm about to purchase ask the parts guy if I need a software update for the battery. (going from the C&D red top to the Atlas yellow top). He goes back and talks to the tech and comes back and says yes I need that update and so I can not do a self install. His explanation was because its AGM battery. Though I believe the C&D is also AGM so I'm not sure what this config does differently. So ended up having to pay out for the installation from tesla.

How much did you end up paying? I have mobile tech coming in the couple of days to replace my 12v battery. Came out to $214 after taxes. Labor was $39.

I received my 12V battery warning last week. I decided to go with the Ohmmu battery to see how it handles my upgraded sound system. Typically I just let someone else to my installs however, with this social distancing I gave it the ole college try. Fortunately for me the replacement/install process went smooth. I think it was about 90 minutes to finish the project. I just took a couple of pics. No issues with the warning staying up after install and did a "battery" of tests that came out sat.

I went with same battery after getting the 12v warning. Didn't notice much of a difference like i've read in other forums about the lithium upgrade. But everyone who has one says it has lasted them ages. So i went with the Ohmmu lithium as well. Very easy install. Took a little longer than 90 minutes because once i took everything apart, i just started cleaning. Couldn't help it. =/.

Nice. Service center hourly rate is $195. I'm in the DC Metro area. Do we know what brand they use for the battery? I googled the part number in the invoice and different brands came up.

Wow if they charge you $39 for labor, and I'm doing my math right, they are charging you for a 12 minute job. You may be the first and only that I've heard of for a 12 minute job for anything :) Brand should be Atlas, I think that is all that is used currently.

Folks, I decided to post this here since there is already a thread going about the 12v battery, but happy to start a new thread if that is better. In any event, my model S is only 15 months old and has 20,000 miles on it and I received an error message today that the 12v battery needs to be replaced soon. I've scheduled service to get it replaced, although they cannot get to it for 13 days. I find it inconceivable that a 12v battery would need to be replaced every 15 months. Thoughts?

Folks, I decided to post this here since there is already a thread going about the 12v battery, but happy to start a new thread if that is better. In any event, my model S is only 15 months old and has 20,000 miles on it and I received an error message today that the 12v battery needs to be replaced soon. I've scheduled service to get it replaced, although they cannot get to it for 13 days. I find it inconceivable that a 12v battery would need to be replaced every 15 months. Thoughts?
My guess is you just got a bad battery. The situation seems to have improved over the years, whether due to improvements in charging algorithm or better batteries. My first battery lasted about 2.5 years (11/14-3/17), the second battery is going strong since 3/17. My car was in the service center for a bunch of stuff recently and I asked if we should proactively replace the 12V. The service advisor wasn't concerned - "not worth it; wait until you get the warning." When the first one died, they said you should have a few/several weeks until it becomes serious.

Reactions: Rocky_H
My guess is you just got a bad battery. The situation seems to have improved over the years, whether due to improvements in charging algorithm or better batteries. My first battery lasted about 2.5 years (11/14-3/17), the second battery is going strong since 3/17. My car was in the service center for a bunch of stuff recently and I asked if we should proactively replace the 12V. The service advisor wasn't concerned - "not worth it; wait until you get the warning." When the first one died, they said you should have a few/several weeks until it becomes serious.

Thanks TGA! That is very helpful.

I got the battery warning about a week ago. My battery is original, so it is a bit more than 5 years old. ()Pretty good, I'd say.) My appointment with mobile service is this coming Friday. I was told once by the service center that you should get about 2 weeks' notice. Winter obviously puts more demand on the battery, especially if you run the seat heaters, heater fan, and so on. I have been running local errands, getting ready for Christmas and so on, and keep crossing my fingers that I will make it out to the store and back. My fear is that it will die in some inconvenient or dangerous place, and I will be unable to move it. Today's temps are in the 30s (F).
Any idea what my odds are?
Be nice if there were a countdown clock or a battery gage or something to give a better idea of how close to the edge it is....It also would be nice to know if it is better to keep using it, causing it to charge/discharge, or better to let it sit and get cold.

Reactions: MichaelP90DL
It also would be nice to know if it is better to keep using it, causing it to charge/discharge, or better to let it sit and get cold.
Uh, well, you have the thinking backward on this one. When the car is on and being used, that is when the main battery is connected and the DC to DC circuit is active and keeping the 12V battery topped up, which is easier on it. It is when the car is sitting and unused that it is draining down that 12V with all of the minor computer vampire usage, and the 12V gets drained and refilled and drained and refilled, etc. etc. And that the more wear-intensive kind of condition for it.

So using the car frequently is a bit less use on that 12V battery and will help it last a bit longer than sitting for long periods of time.

• Informative
Reactions: RMan and David29