Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

12 volt Battery

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Please Sign Our Petition: Let Tesla Know You Want Support for Ohmmu Batteries in Model 3 and Model Y Vehicles

I was all ready to buy an Ohmmu battery to replace my almost 2 year old OEM one, then I heard about these issues. Guess I'll have to stick with buying an OEM one now to be safe. Good luck!

From what I’ve read Ohmmu batteries have issues with errors after Tesla software updates. Rather than deal with those, and planning to preemptively replace my battery soon, buying OEM sounds like the least hassle route.

From what I’ve read Ohmmu batteries have issues with errors after Tesla software updates. Rather than deal with those, and planning to preemptively replace my battery soon, buying OEM sounds like the least hassle route.

Trouble for us Australian's is we're being quoted 4+ weeks (they're estimate it could be more like 2-3 months) before Tesla will have a battery for our Model X. The Model X bricked itself overnight with only 2 hours warning that the 12-volt battery is "dead" and we need to book a service appointment...so we will now have a AUD$200,000 car (that we need) sitting in the garage for 1+ months....not acceptable in my view however rather than cry about it thought getting an aftermarket battery myself (only takes 1 week to be send from USA to Australia) and just doing it myself....

Thanks for the info, I'll reach out to Ohmmu and ask about software updates on Tesla effecting their battery, see how it all works I really cannot see how anything happening with Tesla updates could effect a simple 12-volt battery, it's not connected via IP or anything....it's simple a +/- power supply.

Trouble for us Australian's is we're being quoted 4+ weeks (they're estimate it could be more like 2-3 months) before Tesla will have a battery for our Model X. The Model X bricked itself overnight with only 2 hours warning that the 12-volt battery is "dead" and we need to book a service appointment...so we will now have a AUD$200,000 car (that we need) sitting in the garage for 1+ months....not acceptable in my view however rather than cry about it thought getting an aftermarket battery myself (only takes 1 week to be send from USA to Australia) and just doing it myself....

Thanks for the info, I'll reach out to Ohmmu and ask about software updates on Tesla effecting their battery, see how it all works I really cannot see how anything happening with Tesla updates could effect a simple 12-volt battery, it's not connected via IP or anything....it's simple a +/- power supply.
Lots to read here:

Reactions: EcoCloudIT
Lots to read here:

Thanks...found some info on Ohmmu's website:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tesla | All Models | "Replace 12V Battery Soon" Alert
This alert usually self-clears after replacing the 12V battery, however in some cases it does not (depending on certain conditions of the vehicle). If your error did not self-clear upon install then you need to do a "deep reset" which involves resetting the DC/DC converter.

The procedure depends on the vehicle, but the goal is to fully power-down the vehicle so the DC/DC converter resets itself and recognizes the new battery.

Explanation: Unfortunately, Tesla has had a longstanding issue with their OEM lead-acid 12V batteries being short-lived and at times dying on customers with little to no warning, often resulting in people being stranded, locked out of their vehicles, in need of a tow, etc. -- this may have even been a primary factor as to why you purchased an Ohmmu 12V LiFePO4 battery.

In response to this ongoing issue, Tesla recently began releasing software updates which monitor and run tests on the 12V battery in an attempt to provide customers with an advanced warning of a battery's failure. In some instances, these tests unfortunately get confused by our battery's higher capabilities and returns with a false error in response - usually this occurs after a recent software update.

We are currently tracking the issue as there have been intermittent reports coming in. Fortunately, the vast majority of these alerts have been resolved by performing a deep reset with no further issue (see procedure instructions below) and we will continue to monitor and investigate this issue.

Please Note: in the vast majority of these cases, this warning alert is erroneous and your Ohmmu 12V battery is very likely completely healthy and operating as it should. Our batteries are built with a very stable lithium iron phosphate (LiFePO4) chemistry and have a long-lasting and reliable battery life, so if you are experiencing this error it is very likely a false alarm.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Reactions: Dennisis
Sorry what do you mean signed? When you say you got a newer battery do you mean a newer Ohmmu battery?
The petition mainly is asking Tesla for an ability to change from lead acid to a lithium profile so it doesn't potentially trip some battery checks that may cause the car to think the battery needs service. Near as I can tell it doesn't effect anything major just some battery health diagnostics that trip because its a Lithium (LiFePO4) battery.

Rest of the info - Sign the Petition

I installed I think it was March or so - Battery drain during charging

More on the upgrade module they did (beta) Tesla | Model 3 / Y | Upgrade Module - Install Instructions - Ohmmu Support

Last edited: