Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

120 v charging keep going to 0 mi/hr

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a regular 120 v at my work outside that I plugged in daily. When I had my Model S, I would plug in and get about 4 mi/hr without any issue. With the Model Y, it would take a while for it to go from 0 m/hr to 5. Periodically, it goes back down to 0 mi/hr and I have to stop charging then start again. I tried it at home, same thing happen. With my Chargepoint Home flex, I have no problem charging at 40A and get about 37 mi/hr. I tried to plug in my nemo 14-50 last night, and it stuck at 2-4 mi/hr for a while before going to 30 mi/hr. I am not sure if my mobile charger fault or the Y battery is different from the S. Anyone else experiencing something similar?

Screenshot_20200401-093202.png

I am speculating here..... the Model Y has a new heating/cooling system. I wonder if when on 120V it can't manage battery temp and charge at the same time. So from time to time it will stop charging and use the power to manage battery temp? It would be interesting if you just left it along for the whole day and see what the final range value was, instead of staring at the mi/hr value every 5 minutes :)

Reactions: Watts_Up
I am speculating here..... the Model Y has a new heating/cooling system. I wonder if when on 120V it can't manage battery temp and charge at the same time. So from time to time it will stop charging and use the power to manage battery temp? It would be interesting if you just left it along for the whole day and see what the final range value was, instead of staring at the mi/hr value every 5 minutes :)
That is kind of what I am suspecting too, since today is a little colder than yesterday. I was getting pretty consistent 5 mi/hr yesterday, today it keeps going down to 0. I was surprised the nema 14-50 was still charging at low speed. I did hear something was running when using the 14-50 plug, and as soon as whatever was running stopped, it jumped to 30 mi/hr charging. Today, whenever it changed to 0, i would stop charging and start again, it would start at 5 mi/hr again and drop back down to 0 within couple minutes.

If you use teslafi it displays a very detailed charging summary. It might not help answer your question but it does give you a data set.

Attachments

• 96DD7377-00F0-4E7A-9803-E965DB895980.jpeg
    96DD7377-00F0-4E7A-9803-E965DB895980.jpeg
    504.7 KB · Views: 323
  • Informative
Reactions: Klau2
The reason that the car shows "0 miles per hour" is that the energy that it is taking from the wall is being used to warm up the battery rather than charge it. When the battery is warmed (unspecified length of time), then the car will return to charging. If it cools again while charging, it will repeat. For some people this is so inefficient that they are unable to charge at 120v.

Again, that is the same reason why your 50A socket does the same thing, just it takes less time to warm up. You are mistaken about the chargepoint home flex having any effect - your batter was already warm for the test.

Don't dwell too much about the difference between the S and the Y on this issue, it is well known.

^ That.
Also keep in mind that the car doesn't sleep while it's charging. With 120 V @ 12 Amps, the socket provides the car with 1440 W. The car uses about 300 W just to be awake which means that there are only 1140 W left to charge the battery (or warm it up). This is basically lost energy. All the more reason to avoid 120 V altogether unless you're not paying for the electricity.

• Informative
Reactions: empiredown
I had the same happened to me, called Tesla and they had me reset the car and after that started to charge as it should.
i reset the car before. I really think it's the heatpump that's doing it. when i was in the garage, as soon as i hear the heatpump stopped, it charge normal again. this also happens when i use my 40 amp charger. it was charging at 13 m/hr for a while before going to the full 37. car battery is not cold either since i just drove home from work in 60 degree weather.