Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

$1200 Destination charge

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks everyone ! I was hoping to convince my wife the we can save the $1,200 and fly out to CA. Oh well ... $1,200 isn't too bad, but I would think that Tesla might be able to get better deals from transport companies. We shipped a car from the east coast to California for just under that recently.

Even if the delivery charge were waived for factory delivery, you'd be stuck paying state and local sales taxes in California (which has very strict rules about this, unlike other states that waive sales taxes for cars being taken directly out of state).
I've seen some news reports (and posts on this forum) about the California legislature passing a law that would exempt cars (not sure if it's Tesla specifically) that would be taken out of state fairly quickly. Full text of the bill is here : Bill Text - SB-680 Sales and use taxes: exemption: passenger vehicles.
I think it passed the Senate but haven't heard any news about whether or not it passed in the Assembly. It would be a good excuse to take a cross country road trip :)