Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

$1200 to repair?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When I first read your original post and you said "Hope to see it back in 2 weeks", I thought to myself "there is absolutely NO chance OP gets this back in 2 weeks. In fact, if there was a betting pool, I would take the over on 2 months, let alone 2 weeks".

Seems like the hold up is from the other insurance. At fault insurance claims they didn't hear from the shop. Suuuure /s.

The issue is the aluminum difficult to stretch back, not like steel.

I had a rear quarter panel replaced and the full rear side was cut from the middle of the bottom of the rear door to the roof.

The glass roof had to be removed,,,, and get cracked !!!

You can bet that glass roof was getting cracked no matter what. Body shops are shady, so why would they want to be careful to remove your old glass roof when they could make extra profit by selling you or the insurance company a new glass roof. They make good money on part sales, and no labor time to pay out.

When I first read your original post and you said "Hope to see it back in 2 weeks", I thought to myself "there is absolutely NO chance OP gets this back in 2 weeks. In fact, if there was a betting pool, I would take the over on 2 months, let alone 2 weeks".
LOL..... I was kind of joking on the 2 weeks thing..... I was expecting at least 4 - 6 weeks.... At this rate, you may be right.....

and....... the final estimate is $6200.00....

Finally approved after waiting 15 days...... They have started the car..... Hope they don't find anything else.

The upside is that it appears that they won't have to wait on any major parts. Only the Aero cap and some trim getting replaced....

As I'm happy to see the work start, the shop informed me that if the Insurance Company hadn't dragged it out, I would of had the car back by now....

In general if you can afford it I think it is better to put the claim through your own insurance company and subrogate against the at fault party's carrier.

Your insurance company is generally much more interested in maintaining a continuing relationship than the at fault party's insurance. That said there is still no guarantee. They all are under pressure to keep claim payments as low as possible and some are much more ridiculous than others. It's part of the reason I don't recommend shopping for insurance strictly on price.

Even knowing the industry and the claims process I've found that it can still take me days and multiple phone calls and emails to both coverage and payment for damage that is 100% insured and being repaired at reasonable and customary rates. If you know what you are doing and threaten litigation you will normally get pushed up to a more experienced rep who has the ability to be more reasonable. However, if you don't know what you are doing at that point they will essentially play hard ball and force you to get representation so you have to be willing follow through on your threat of litigating.
I would think twice about this, because your insurance company has contractual obligations to you based on your policy. I had a case where the driver's insurance company limited rental and replacement costs on a totalled vehicle to his policy limit. I had to directly engage the at-fault driver's insurance company to get anything close to a reasonable amount to compensate and replace the vehicle.

My recommendation is to always go to the at-fault's insurer, as that relationship legally requires that insurer to make you whole. (A LIKE-Rental vehicle [not POS ICE] for as long as it takes; if repaired, you should get compensated for the diminshed value the car will have when you sell it; if totalled, ensure you can get a LIKE Tesla replacement - similar mileage, features, and age.) Your own insurance, for example, will be studiously uninterested in pursuing diminished value or even informing you of your right to same.

I would think twice about this, because your insurance company has contractual obligations to you based on your policy. I had a case where the driver's insurance company limited rental and replacement costs on a totalled vehicle to his policy limit. I had to directly engage the at-fault driver's insurance company to get anything close to a reasonable amount to compensate and replace the vehicle.

My recommendation is to always go to the at-fault's insurer, as that relationship legally requires that insurer to make you whole. (A LIKE-Rental vehicle [not POS ICE] for as long as it takes; if repaired, you should get compensated for the diminshed value the car will have when you sell it; if totalled, ensure you can get a LIKE Tesla replacement - similar mileage, features, and age.) Your own insurance, for example, will be studiously uninterested in pursuing diminished value or even informing you of your right to same.

Some good points. I wonder if that's because in your examples you have representation.

My experience is that at fault insurers nickel and dime much worse than my own carrier. Mind you I select my personal lines carriers based on claims experience and I have an enhanced form. If I were carrying your standard ISO form from a few of the nameless "big names" I think you might be right. That said given State Farm's market share there is actually a good chance they'd have both parties as insureds...

Reactions: rxlawdude
Some good points. I wonder if that's because in your examples you have representation.

My experience is that at fault insurers nickel and dime much worse than my own carrier. Mind you I select my personal lines carriers based on claims experience and I have an enhanced form. If I were carrying your standard ISO form from a few of the nameless "big names" I think you might be right. That said given State Farm's market share there is actually a good chance they'd have both parties as insureds...
If dealing with the at-fault's insurance and you're getting jerked around, remind them of the triple damages for an "insurance claim bad faith" lawsuit. That usually perks things up.

I went through my insurance company.....

Thought it would be a safer bet as Florida is a "no-fault" state....

Didn't get a loaner as I had another car to drive.....

But even that, getting my insurance company to move on the thing was a major pain. The delay of getting it approved will be longer than the repair will take.

Even since covid started, insurance companies have laid off allot of the field people.... All of the claim was done "virtually". Even the repair shop had to work virtually with the insurance company....

No one outside of myself or the repair shop physically inspected the car.

I went through my insurance company.....

Thought it would be a safer bet as Florida is a "no-fault" state....

Didn't get a loaner as I had another car to drive.....

But even that, getting my insurance company to move on the thing was a major pain. The delay of getting it approved will be longer than the repair will take.

Even since covid started, insurance companies have laid off allot of the field people.... All of the claim was done "virtually". Even the repair shop had to work virtually with the insurance company....

No one outside of myself or the repair shop physically inspected the car.
"No fault" states force the insured to work under their insurance company's policy terms, rather than the tort principle of being made whole by the tortfeasor. That's where you have problems, as Chris just related.