Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

120v charging cable died

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Honestly, my friend, I have to defer to the guys who have debated endlessly the pros and cons of slow, low amperage, charging, versus faster higher amperage charging.

All I know is my personal experience, and I notice NO substantial difference in electricity cost, personally, between these two environments.

A) Temperate environment, low ambient temperature, charging via 220v UMC.

B) Garage in city of blistering heat, garage in summer is 90-*106* degrees F.

The battery temp is going to be MUCH higher in "B" for obvious reasons, so I really have to direct you to people more knowledgeable about comparisons in less than extreme incomparable circumstances. :)

For point of reference, with virtually no difference in mileage, my standard charge range was 182+++ in non extreme heat, but here, in Hades, at best, it's 177 range in standard mode. :/ all I can say is, ambient temperature, really matters to how the Roadsters cooling fans, and battery circuitry, reacts.

Hello Cwolfe.

Thanks to your answers and hcsharp's I'm figuring out I was wrong assuming there would be significant differences between 10A and 13A .

I got my car only since January and in Winter the garage was pretty cool and the car seemed to actively cool itself just at the very beginning of the charge, then went on silentely filling. I suppose I'll have to install a fan to at least evacuate hot air outside in summer, and maybe also another fan to suck some cold air from the basement to refresh the car. It's not really a mater of electricity, it's mainly I don't like wasting energy so I'm looking for the best way to charge without hurting the battery life.

Thanks again for your time and responses ;)

Kind regards

Works like a dream! Thanks! VERY easy fix (though I tested the new cable before, and after, with a continuity test to be overkill safe, to make sure the correct pins were fed the correct juice, just to be extra safe after fixing/improving). For me, I used a GCFI 9 inch extension with reset and test. Though I don't think there would be any trouble were the cable plugged into a GCFI plug, if there is, now the six 9 inch GCFI extension can be put aside and not used, and it's all good.

You guys rock. thank you.

Reactions: Rolf68